Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bernard's strange goings on #296913 06/01/08 07:48 PM
CMB Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Hello everyone, I have two worries and I'm just wondering if any of you have had any of these problems? And if there's anything that I can do about it? Also not sure if this should go here or not (it is a keet story i suppose?)

1) He keeps diving into his seed bowl, sometimes he just sits there and sometimes he digs his way to the bottom and kicks all of the seed out?! What is he doing and can I stop him? He's wasting all of his food!!

2) He keeps sticking his head out of the cage, the bars do have the recommended spacing! He can't seem to get out past his neck.. we've been watching him do it all day!! Does anyone else's keet do this? What can I do about it? Will he get his head stuck??

Thanks for any of your ideas!

CMB
Re: Bernard's strange goings on [Re: CMB] #296919 06/01/08 07:58 PM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
1) He's just playing and that's very normal. Although I have never seen my keets do this, many keet owners experience this. What you should do if the mess is getting excessive, is buy a tube feeder. Then, Bernie can't jump in the seed dish because it is so tiny. Plus, there is plenty more seed for him to eat if he spills some. Try not to use seed cups with covers because keets can get caught in them and break many different bones, if not die from a heart attack. There are some cups, though, that are covered but they are small enough so the keet can't fit inside them.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5950+6227&pcatid=6227

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5950+11589&pcatid=11589

2) Maybe he is just an extra small keet. Is it just his feathers that are sticking through, though, because if so, then many keets do that when they are rubbing their heads on the side of the cage.

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Bernard's strange goings on [Re: CMB] #296930 06/01/08 08:11 PM
4Keetsn'2kids Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I agree with 3Budgies...

I've also read about them liking the small space as they feel secure...I don't know about his head...there is no way on earth my keets could get their heas out past the bars...yours are 1/2".

Okay, my birds are bathing in their water dishes again and getting me all wet! =) UGH!!!

Re: Bernard's strange goings on [Re: 4Keetsn'2kids] #296957 06/01/08 08:52 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
to anser ?#1 he might be a she... my female does that a lot cuz she wants to nest...

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: Bernard's strange goings on [Re: ShamRockStar] #296963 06/01/08 09:04 PM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Sure looks like a she from the avatar.

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Bernard's strange goings on [Re: CMB] #296975 06/01/08 09:20 PM
4Keetsn'2kids Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I never thought about that, but Bernard has similarities to my Pecksie! Pecksie is definitely a girl!

Re: Bernard's strange goings on [Re: 4Keetsn'2kids] #297324 06/02/08 07:38 PM
Four Keets Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I'm very concerned about him sticking his/her head out of the cage. Are you sure the bar spacing is 1/2" or less? That could be potentially fatal if Bernard gets his head stuck.

Never forget:
Leaf - 11/5/07
Louie - 1/25/08
Bill - 4/16/08
Papeete - 4/21/08
Re: Bernard's strange goings on [Re: Four Keets] #297331 06/02/08 07:59 PM
A
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
A
I agree!!

Re: Bernard's strange goings on [Re: ] #297338 06/02/08 08:19 PM
CMB Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Thanks for the food container ideas 3bud unfortunately that website doesn't deliver to england! Which is annoying because there aren't that many places here that sell things for smaller birds like keets.

Yes four keets I've been seriously worried too. The bar spacing is 1/2" I triple checked!! I know he's a small guy, even the vet commented on it (although he didn't weigh him) but it's his whole head comes out. I thought that he could possibly get his head stuck but today my boyfriend came home from work to find him sat on the floor eating the seeds that he'd kicked out earlier!!! He was very happy chriping away and flew around for a while until he let my boyfriend put a cloth over him and gently put him back in his cage!

I don't know what to do now!! Obviously I don't want him out of his cage unsupervised incase he hurts himself and I'm worried that he'll hurt himself trying to come out of the cage! I can't buy a new cage at the weekend (i guess they sell them with even smaller spacing? and if they do are the cages stil as big?)

CMB
Re: Bernard's strange goings on [Re: CMB] #297342 06/02/08 08:24 PM
CMB Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Oh, also he may well be a she and I did think that "he" might be nesting but "his" cere hasn't changed colour or anything so don't think "he" is in breeding mode. lol (can't get used to calling him a her)

Also, yesterday he was sticking his head out of the cage during the day but since my boyfriend put him back in the cage (about 5 hours ago) he hasn't. I don't want to take a chance that he's learnt his lesson but do you think that maybe he has?

CMB
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site