Print Thread
Non-African Businessmen - Terrorists in Africa? #290452 05/10/08 07:34 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
What do you think of this?
Originally Posted By: Robert Beckford
'I met a refugee from the Democratic Republic of Congo at a university function at the end of the summer term. A well-educated academic, he had escaped the civil war engulfing his country. In the middle of our conversation on the state of Africa, he reminded me that there were "many well-educated white males engaged in acts of terror" in his country.

'He was not referring to suicide bombers but to middle-class corporate executives who fund warlords and low-rank politicians in exchange for access to diamonds and other precious minerals. Their act of terror was to be party to the ethnic cleansing, rape, child abduction and murder conducted by the renegades they financed. Conscious of the dangers of stereotyping, I replied: "Surely not all white males involved in business in Africa are bad? I'm certain many get involved in business with the best of intentions but are seduced by the lure of profits".'

Robert Beckford The Guardian, Tuesday August 16 2005
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2005/aug/16/race.religion
Background info on Beckford:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Beckford

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: Non-African Businessmen - Terrorists in Africa [Re: PDM] #295058 05/27/08 05:39 PM
N
new2bird Offline
N
The real terrorists in Africa are the ones still holding the slave trade there. Unfortunately these are Arabs Muslims who are still trading in people -black Christians, and others.
It odd that nothing is said about American Business, who are actually helping African people to combat aids and other diseases.

Mom for:
3 kids including the biggest one -my hubby
Yoshi bird
Missi my lab and soon some fish
Re: Non-African Businessmen - Terrorists in Africa [Re: new2bird] #295081 05/27/08 06:43 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Hi and welcome new2bird

What is the evidence that Arab Muslims are involved in Christian slavery?

Are American businessmen doing overall more postive things for Africa or more negative things?

What about the "many well-educated white males engaged in acts of terror" that the african above mentioned?

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: Non-African Businessmen - Terrorists in Africa [Re: PDM] #295392 05/28/08 07:33 AM
N
new2bird Offline
N
Hello again,
In General some Arabs Muslims were involved in the slave trades for ages, enslaving both Christians and non-Christians, including Muslims.
You should read a book written by a Muslim woman Irshad Manji called "the problem with Islam", here is a link to an article about her. In her book she write about her experience with their house slaves in Africa. How her father would beat them and would beat her or her mother if they attend to the slaves and try to help them. I was chocked when I read it because this was not a tale from 200 years ago this was 30 years ago.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21940050-7583,00.html

Did you know for example that slavery was outlawed in Saudi Arabia only in the sixties? But is actually practiced until today.
You should check this report. Really scary, majority of human trafficking to Saudi is coming from Asia but some are from Africa.
http://gvnet.com/humantrafficking/SaudiArabia.htm

What happened in Sudan?
http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/read.php?idx=1462

It is very sad that in our time people are still enslaved, women have no rights to live free, children have no right to education and we sit here and blame white male.
About American companies look at Mereck who sponsored and paid for medication for children in Africa, that would be other wise blind.

Last edited by new2bird; 05/28/08 07:35 AM.

Mom for:
3 kids including the biggest one -my hubby
Yoshi bird
Missi my lab and soon some fish
Re: Non-African Businessmen - Terrorists in Africa [Re: new2bird] #295420 05/28/08 02:37 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
The slave trade, to the point it still exists, is small beans nowadays compared to the horrors that surround the blood-diamond business, the armaments business, etc. in Africa. Even straightforward stuff like agriculture or importing cars normally involves a fair deal of dodginess.

As to whether white men are responsible for it, sure, them and now the Indians and the Lebanese and increasingly the Chinese who make up the bulk of the commercial castes in those countries. (as a general rule, the indians run East and Southern Africa and the Syrian-Lebanese run West and Central Africa). And never mind some of the local black businessmen/politicians/warlords (usually one and the same). It's just the rules of the game there. It's the way things are done. I could tell you stories from my dad and various relatives who have run businesses on the continent: it's not like running a shop down at your local mall. Bribery is an everyday occurrence. Worker safety is not a priority at all (if a few die or get injured, there's always some more to replace them). Paying salaries isn't necessarily the highest priority either. Paying taxes is out of the question.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site