Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Travel: Travel Books & Travel experiences #293414 05/21/08 08:45 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Do you enjoy reading books about people's travel adventures?
Do you like to travel yourself
Are you an armchair traveller?

What books have you read in this genre, and what travels have you undertaken?

Have you been inspired to travel, as a result of your reading?
Or because of a film or TV programme, perhaps?

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: Travel: Travel Books & Travel experiences [Re: PDM] #293417 05/21/08 08:47 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Carl
There's a kind of traveling I like (but have done only on occasion). Here's a quote from the novel I'm reading now, and was going to post a new thread about) - Nicholas Sparks' 'The Choice':

"Traveling has less to do with seeing things than experiencing them...."

"...doing whatever I felt like, and it rarely had anything to do with what I was supposed to see. I didn't even have a planned itinerary. Don't get me wrong -- I saw a lot. But when I think back..., I mostly remember the friends I made along the way and the good times we spent together. ... At times, it almost felt like I was destined to take the trip, like all the people I met had somehow been waiting for me. But..."

He paused, looking directly at her.

"...I can never replicate that trip. Even if I went to the same places and met the same people, it wouldn't be the same. My [i]experience
wouldn't be the same. To me, that's what traveling should be about. Meeting people, learning to not only appreciate a different culture, but really enjoy it like a local, following whatever impulse strikes you. ... If you have the right mind-set, it doesn't matter where you end up or how much money you brought. It'll be something you'll remember forever." [/i]

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=293411#Post293411

Re: Travel: Travel Books & Travel experiences [Re: PDM] #293430 05/21/08 09:37 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
I love travel books. This includes travel guides!
If I'm visiting another country, I'll collect a lot of books to take with me ~
~ some general guide books
~ a phrase book & dictionary
~ a book to try to learn the language
~ history books
~ books on flora and fauna
~ if possible, a novel, autobiography or travelogue about the country

Re: Travel: Travel Books & Travel experiences [Re: PDM] #293521 05/22/08 01:08 PM
kateyes Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I have been fortunate enough to travel to a variety of places, and part of the reason I became a travel agent was because I love helping people plan thier trips of a lifetime. I am always a bit surprised when people take a trip and don't do thier homework. I encourage them to read books (maybe that's part of the issue-people don't read so much any more), or do web searches, as well as giving them information on different types of things to see and do. I like to read about the history, and culture, will try to find biographies of people who figured prominently in the country. When I have the money I travel--then I don't I am quite the armchair traveller. I am quite fond of guide books by Insight, and off the beaten track. I also like to find old travel books, especially the Victorian ones. Sometimes they are really awful in thier view and attitudes about "foreigners"--but sometimes you find one by someone who was a real traveller, and they are facinating.

PDM, if you haven't found it already--try to get "1000 Places to See Before You Die". Its fun to mark off the places you have been, and to reasearch trips to the places you haven't (even if you never get there)!

Last edited by kateyes; 05/22/08 01:15 PM.

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. And that is my religion." Abraham Lincoln
Re: Travel: Travel Books & Travel experiences [Re: kateyes] #293547 05/22/08 04:27 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: kateyes
...PDM, if you haven't found it already--try to get "1000 Places to See Before You Die". Its fun to mark off the places you have been, and to reasearch trips to the places you haven't (even if you never get there)!
Thanks for the recommendation.

I used to want to travel all around the wolrld, but I think I'm too nervous. I haven't been beyond Europe: England, Wales, Scotland, France, Belgium, Italy, Spain (including Majorca, Ibiza and Lanzarote), Slovenia, Croatia (when they were Jugoslavia), Greek island of Corfu and nearest bit of mainland Greece! I think that's it!

I had a list of specific places I wanted to see ~ it included Athens, Rome, Florence and the Egyptian Pyramids.
I haven't managed them yet.

When I was a child I had a huge fascination with Australia, Africa & South America.
Haven't seen those, either.

Paris & Arles; Granada & Seville; Venice; I have seen.
Loved them!

Also the places where Mousterian and Cro Magnon culture were first noted ~ the cave at Le Moustiers & the Cro-Magnon rock shelter at Les Eyzies. I had read a lot about these subjects.

And I saw Corfu, having loved 'My Family and Other Animals' and 'Prospero's Cell' by the two Durrell brothers.

Re: Travel: Travel Books & Travel experiences [Re: PDM] #294072 05/24/08 08:44 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: LordsLady
I haven't traveled extensively, but the few places I have visited have left me wanting to do more traveling.

I would greatly enjoy returning to Mexico City. Mike and I took a trip there in 1981 and it was the best. Everyone warned us about the food, the water, the danger. All of those negatives were just that. We had great food, did not drink the water and never felt safer. We felt safer than we did where we lived at the time which was the Bronx, NYC.

The one thing I did not like was the noise. Mexico City is VERY noisy. Our hotel room was on the eighth floor of a very nice hotel. I could hear every fire truck, ambulance and car horn as if it were in our room. Another thing which sort of frightened me was the presence of military riding in military convoys at all times. I asked Mike was there a war going on in Mexico, but he said he thought it was their way of maintaining order. With a city as large in population as Mexico I guess that was needed. I have to say though that inspite of the large population, it was a cleaner city than NYC anytime and twice on Sundays. The subways were immaculately clean, well maintained, etc.

Blessings,

Emilie

Re: Travel: Travel Books & Travel experiences [Re: PDM] #294075 05/24/08 08:50 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
A 'travel' book I loved, but which has received mixes responses from Amazon readers, is:

'The Man Who Broke Out of the Bank and Went for a Walk Across France' by Miles Morland. (There seem to be alternative titles.)

http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Across-France...p;sr=1-1#citing

Last edited by PDM; 05/24/08 08:51 PM.
Re: Travel: Travel Books & Travel experiences [Re: PDM] #294941 05/27/08 09:41 AM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
I'm a total armchair traveller.
When I was a kid, my favourite "toy" was an atlas...I used to imagine what all these strange far-away places were like. I've been around a bit, too.
Paul Theroux has good travel narratives, I especially liked "the Great Railway Bazaar".
I recently read a book, in Spanish, written by a friend of my step-dad's where he recounts spending four years sailing around the world in a tiny little sailboat: really made me want to get up and go. This guy did it without having any money saved up or even knowing how to sail. If he can do it, surely so can I.
http://www.denauticos.net/nota.php?nid=174
One can dream, anyway.

Re: Travel: Travel Books & Travel experiences [Re: Capt. Haddock] #295101 05/27/08 07:39 PM
kateyes Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Where would we be without our dreams!

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. And that is my religion." Abraham Lincoln
Re: Travel: Travel Books & Travel experiences [Re: kateyes] #295163 05/27/08 10:08 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
When I was a young teenager, and all my friends had pop stars on their bedroom walls, mine were covered with maps!

I collected stamps and learned about all the countries ~ I knew all the capital cities & new names when I was very young (not any more ~ many of them have changed).

If I were on 'Desert Island Discs', my book would probably have to be either a huge atlas or a huge encyclopedia.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site