Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: 'Only in America' [Re: Carl] #294144 05/24/08 11:55 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Yes, I haven't travelled too far ~ only in Europe ~ but I have found people to be very pleasant wherever I have been.

I also enjoy meeting visitors to this country.

And I find the International group we have on here very friendly too!

I suppose I feel relatively safe here. I think it is usual to feel safe in one's own 'home' ~ though people do also seem to stop worrying about personal safety when on holiday!

Things like conscription in France used to bother me.

But the amount of open space in France appeals ~ and the slightly better weather. It may seem trivial, but living in a country where rain and darkness are the norm for most of the year can get a bit depressing.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: 'Only in America' [Re: PDM] #294166 05/25/08 01:07 AM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I want to see London etc, but it costs too much and if i am spening that money i would have to go to hungary to visit relatives or I would feel bad.
My friend did a kontiki tour and she said London almost killed them, no sun and she paid 30$ CAD for a tuna sandwich and 2 bottles of water and a kitKat bar.( i think it was kitkat ) either way ouch!!!!! I am resigned to watching reruns of Fawlty Towers and seeing the Torquay(sp?) beach in the cloudy rain.Sighs.
And yes I have met great americans and not so great ones there are good and bad everywhere. France would be appealing esp since all we have is Quebec and they don't even want to be here!

Re: 'Only in America' [Re: PDM] #294194 05/25/08 03:22 AM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted By: PDM
One thing Matt Frei commented on was the relatively small percentage of Americans who have passports, but, as he said, there is so much diversity of scenery, etc, in the USA, and it is so from many other countries, that perhaps this is not such a big deal as might at first be thought.

Up until recently, Americans didn't need passports for visiting Canada or Mexico, so they were a relatively unusual thing to have, in my opinion -- only the wealthy (or people who conducted international business) could afford overseas travel so only they had passports.

Re: 'Only in America' [Re: ] #294271 05/25/08 03:28 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Pudgie's mom

Up until recently, Americans didn't need passports for visiting Canada or Mexico, ...

I didn't know that.
How strange that seems ~ though I think it was, maybe still is, the same with us and Ireland.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: 'Only in America' [Re: PDM] #294338 05/25/08 08:02 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
I agree - it does seem strange now.

Re: 'Only in America' [Re: ] #294922 05/27/08 05:13 AM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Speaking of "Only in America" I heard today that a town, Butler, Missouri, I think Missouri ,any way if you buy a new car you can have either a gift card for 250$ gas or a semi automatic gun of some kind, over 70% of people are taking the free gun.

Wow, In Canada sometime you get a pack of Tim Horton's gift cards or a mug if you are really lucky.

Re: 'Only in America' [Re: Coco's Mama] #294937 05/27/08 08:56 AM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
I'd like to check this book out.
A few years ago I read a book called "Ciao America" by an Italian journalist recounting his experiences living in DC. it was funny. Though it's scope was obviously limited (DC is not America), there's always certain things that an outsider will notice about a place that the people who live there don't. Lots of foreign writers have recounted their experiences in America going all the way back to the excellent works of De Tocqueville.

Re: 'Only in America' [Re: Capt. Haddock] #294968 05/27/08 12:40 PM
Carl Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
Car dealerships are offering "free" gas for a limited time, or up to a certain amount, but I have my doubts about guns being offered as a choice. Sounds like one of the factoids that get passed around the internet.

Marge is the love of my life.
Re: 'Only in America' [Re: Carl] #294978 05/27/08 12:57 PM
LordsLady Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Hi Capt Haddock....welcome back. Hope the honeymoon is still going strong.

Carl, just what we need, more folks with guns in the state of Florida!

Blessings,

Emilie

To one with faith,no explanation is needed.To one without faith no explanation is possible. Aquinas
Re: 'Only in America' [Re: LordsLady] #294984 05/27/08 01:05 PM
LordsLady Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I just thought of something ironic. They same people who would be given guns, might use them to "purchase" gas should the prices continue to go up.

Blessings,

Emilie

To one with faith,no explanation is needed.To one without faith no explanation is possible. Aquinas
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site