When do chicks come out of nest / get exercise ? #292753 05/18/08 09:01 PM
S
sampa Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
S
Hi Everyone!

I've been gone from the Forum for a very long time. Unexpectedly one of my female keets, Mangu, laid an egg at bottom of the cage and I immediately got her a nesting box. Long story short, she laid a total of 6 eggs, 4 of which are hatched and the other two are almost a week late by my calculations, so I think they are not fertile. I did think one of them was not fertile because I saw nothing when I candled it.

The first two chicks were born on May 4th, a few hours apart, and are now about 15 days old.
The second chick was born on May 6th, and is 13 days old.
The fourth chick was born on May 10th and is now 9 days old.

Mangu (mom) and Cloud (dad) have been very diligent about feeding and caring for all these babies. They all seem to be healthy! But I have some questions:

1. By my calculations eggs # 5 and 6 which have not hatched should've hatched between May 7th and May 11th. The mom doesn't seem to care about them much, they are just rolling around in the nest and by now are covered in baby keet poop. Should I get rid of those eggs?
PS: I take all babies out an clean the nest everyday!

2. I wonder if I have to take the older chicks out of thenesting box and let them walk around for a few hours every day? I have no idea if they are supposed to eventually come out on their own?

Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated!

May 4 - Chicks # 1 and 2
[img][IMG]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/sampa123/DSCN3003.jpg[/img][/img]

May 6 - Chicks 1, 2 & 3
[img][IMG]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/sampa123/DSCN3006.jpg[/img][/img]

May 12 - Mom with offspring
[img][IMG]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/sampa123/DSCN3020.jpg[/img][/img]

May 12 - Chicks 1, 2, 3 & 14
[img][IMG]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/sampa123/DSCN3021.jpg[/img][/img]

May 12 - First time out for nest-cleaning
[img][IMG]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/sampa123/DSCN3022.jpg[/img][/img]

May 18 - Chick # 1: Summer
[img][IMG]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/sampa123/DSCN3052.jpg[/img][/img]

Last edited by sampa; 05/18/08 11:28 PM.
Re: When do chicks come out of nest / get exercise ? [Re: sampa] #292833 05/19/08 01:23 AM
LLPB Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
yes. go ahead and toss those leftover eggs...

when you clean the nestbox, make sure to leave something that was in there before, like a little piece of the cotton...

but, the cotton and string really isn't good for the keets. it can get caught into their nails, and the babies can injest it... you can keep it if you want, but just plain tissues and some timmothy hay does well.

it looks like you're doing a fabulous job and so is mommy and daddy!

RIP
Lemon, Lime, Paradise, Blizzard, Oreo, & Vanilla
♥ Always

I LOVE Skittles!
Re: When do chicks come out of nest / get exercise ? [Re: LLPB] #292844 05/19/08 01:57 AM
R
richie Offline
Companion
Companion
R
I have a 3 babies right now, oldest is about 5 weeks old.and youngest is 4 weeks old.They will start coming out by themselves between week 3 and 4..The oldest of mine already sleeps outside the nestbox but the other two just go in to sleep.But if you want them to be tame i would start taking them out about 10 mins a day once they turn 2 weeks old.The more feathers they have the longer they can stay out.but make sure mom is in another room.unless she is okay with you holding them.

Re: When do chicks come out of nest / get exercise ? [Re: richie] #292975 05/19/08 08:41 PM
S
sampa Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
S
Thanks LLPB for your input - deeply and truly appreciated!

Richie, thank you also for letting me know about when these little guys will start coming out. But I have a question that may seem dumb..... they are in the nesting box... are they going to be able to climb up and through the hole in order to come out?

And yes, we have taken the oldest two out and held them warmly in our hands for a few minutes each day because we'd love them to be tame. We don't keep them out long because Mama doesn't seem to spend as much time inside the nest as she used to and they all huddle together for warmth. Chick # 3 is still quite bald and # 4, the little runt, is a complete baldy still and we do not want anything bad to happen to any of them!

Re: When do chicks come out of nest / get exercise ? [Re: sampa] #293254 05/21/08 03:23 AM
R
richie Offline
Companion
Companion
R
Yes my momma bird started spending less time in the nestbox when the oldest was 16 days old..so thats normal..WHat i did was that i put perches up ,so they descend from the nestbox.At first they struggle to get to the very top ,but they eventually find their own shortcut to getting there.But yes.You will also see them at the entrance hole begging for food and thats about the time they will start trying to come out.

Re: When do chicks come out of nest / get exercise ? [Re: richie] #294364 05/25/08 10:09 PM
S
sampa Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
S
Hello Richie,

Thanks for the heads up! The 3 oldest chicks have a lot of feathers now and we bring them out a couple of times a day so they can get used to us. The youngest one is stil quite bald. Momma bird does spend less time with them but still goes in the nesting box to feed them and so does Daddy. I have a huge cage and the nesting box is inside the cage on a platform, and there is a perch right outside the entrance that the birdie parents use to go in and out. I guess I am getting anxious for nothing and nature will take it's course; I cannot envision the chicks climbing out of the hole.... it is kind of high, from the bottom of the nest. Also, if we offer them food when they are out with us they don't accept it... I don't think they know it is food yet....

Re: When do chicks come out of nest / get exercise ? [Re: sampa] #294371 05/25/08 10:40 PM
pinksnowme Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I've never breed any keets yet. I just loved looking at your photos and everyone else's who are hatching. Seems to be the season.
Looks like you and Richie have things covered.
Cute little chick. Way to go Mamma Mangu!

Re: When do chicks come out of nest / get exercise ? [Re: pinksnowme] #294383 05/25/08 11:50 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Welcome back & congrats on chicks! Great pics, especially the last one - what a cutie! Sorry I can't answer your questions - don't know much about breeding keets.

Re: When do chicks come out of nest / get exercise ? [Re: ] #294388 05/26/08 12:05 AM
S
sampa Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
S
Thanks everyone for your feedback!

I was NOT planning to breed, it just happened... I've had them for just about 2 years now and I suddenly saw Clud & Mangu hanging out togetehr more and more and then one day, an egg at the bottom of cage. So I went out and put nesting box in...
I wa slucky that all went so smoothly .. that both birds turne dout to be great parents!

Re: When do chicks come out of nest / get exercise ? [Re: sampa] #294693 05/26/08 08:19 PM
A
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
A
I think we need new pictures?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site