Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
pk has joined birds I feed outside #29362 10/17/05 03:48 PM
M
Mom of 2 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi, have been feeding a beautiful white with blue down it's back couple months, live in CT asked Petco , they say will not make it outside in the cold. Went & got a cage that was suggested here , with toys etc, even though it is fed by me, we have not bonded, is there a way to catch pk without harming it? does it need to be checked by a vet, must have gotten lose from someones house, the site says they like buddies?, is it best to have it just get used to me first?, Have alot of experience volunteering at Paws but do not know how it is best to get it & then what to do. thanks for any help, it's starting to get cold . Lynn

A pk has been at my house, how is the safest way to get it? have the cage allready
Re: pk has joined birds I feed outside #29363 10/17/05 03:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
someone on here had good luck with putting up a birdhouse, putting seed/millet in it, then when the bird goes in, got him! I think they said they then sat the whole birdhouse into the cage an dout came the birdie. That sounds to me the best and and least traumatizing I have heard. Also you cna take hte cage outside and place it where it usually feeds, put millet in right beside the door.

Re: pk has joined birds I feed outside #29364 10/18/05 06:21 PM
G
gardenkat Offline
G
I am having the same problem. This poor baby flies away everytime I approach it. I have out a cage with food, toys, water, etc. I can hear him in the wee hours of the morning. It is getting cold out now in NJ. I don't know where he came from but he does not seem to care for humans. I don't know how much longer he can live outside. I feel so bad. Any suggestions. (I already tried netting him) Thanks. Janet

Re: pk has joined birds I feed outside #29365 10/18/05 08:25 PM
W
WhyTeDraGon Offline
Regular
Regular
W
My suggestion would be to buy/make a bird feeding where he has to go COMPLETELY in in order to get his food. That way you can sit near it quietly and then when he goes in, put your hands over the openings.
If I were you id get drastic about it ASAP, before the poor guy dies this winter. Id try every means possible. My uncle catches flying squirrels this way. Though he doesnt keep them.

Re: pk has joined birds I feed outside #29366 10/20/05 02:00 PM
G
gardenkat Offline
G
I have been drastic. I have tried sitting out there until dark. I have 2 cages loaded with food. I tried a tape recorder with parakeet sounds hidden under a tiny fake bird. I have a very thin string tied to the cage opening and I sit FAR away from the cage. He just loves to sit high in the trees. He is enjoying himself. He looks healthy and pretty chubby, but I know the cold is going to do him in. As for a larger cage, I also tried that. He will not go near either one of them. I am losing sleep over this little one.

Re: pk has joined birds I feed outside #29367 10/20/05 03:55 PM
Mango's Human Offline
Friend
Friend
I'd say get a bird box where the keet can go inside. If it does go inside, then cover the hole and bring it inside. hopefully it works. :S

Mango's Pet since 09/13/05
Re: pk has joined birds I feed outside #29368 10/20/05 11:34 PM
Jloc Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
As suggested make a bird house with a little wood door that can slide closed, then prop it open with a stick or a latch then tie a long string to the stick/latch and when the bird goes inside to grab a bite pull the string a trap the bird. I think that way would work great because you could stand far back and it would be a great trap, please really try this, I like to hear when they get caught so they are in a nice safe warm home for the winter. It might take some time to build the door/latch but it would be well worth it, use millet if possible to attract the keet, they love that stuff. Other than that I don't know but I think that would work best. Let us know how it goes I hope you guys are able to capture them, it will be cold soon and they won't make it. Jloc

Frodo, Sam Wise, Shelby, and Scooter
Re: pk has joined birds I feed outside #29369 11/15/05 06:11 PM
G
gardenkat Offline
G
I FINALLY GOT THE LITTLE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SAW HIM SITTING THERE WAITING FOR THE FEEDER TO BE FILLED AND I USED A LONG NET. HE IS NOW AT A BIRD SANCTUARY. HE IS NOT NICE AT ALL!!!!! BUT HE SURE IS CUTE.

Re: pk has joined birds I feed outside #29370 11/15/05 06:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What happened I thought you were going to keep it?
Of course he's not going to be nice, he was captured and put into a strange place against his will. frown

Re: pk has joined birds I feed outside #29371 11/15/05 08:23 PM
adieu Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
well good job catching him - you saved his life, even if he did not seem appreciative. a sanctuary sounds nice- i hope he can fly around and feel free.

chance favors the prepared mind.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by latinkaone - 06/06/22 08:53 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site