Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
a budgie or a rose breasted cockatoo? please help #293546 05/22/08 04:21 PM
CMB Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Hello everyone,

I posted a little while ago because I'm supposed to be getting a hand reared budgie.. but I found a breader on the net and being new to this I may have got a bad apple since I sent the deposit but haven't heard anything back for months frown

Anyway been doing more research and wondered what you all thought of rose breasted cockatoos. I saw somewhere that they would be good for me since they're low maintenance but pick up tricks easily.

I work during the day but would spend at least 1-2 hours every day with my bird and more on the weekends. Are these cockatoo's more noisy (because I live in a flat) or more difficult to look after than budgies. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

CMB
Re: a budgie or a rose breasted cockatoo? please help [Re: CMB] #293559 05/22/08 04:43 PM
Four Keets Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Toos are completely different from budgies. They require a TON of attention or else they will resort to feather picking. They are obviously much larger birds and have a larger scream.

If you are only going to be spending a few hours a day with a bird, I do not recommend a cockatoo. I don't really even recommend a budgie. Budgies need attention too... if you do want a bird, then, I would advise you to get one budgie and tame it and then get a second and tame it. That way they keep each other busy during the day... of course, they won't be as bonded to you if you have more than one.

Never forget:
Leaf - 11/5/07
Louie - 1/25/08
Bill - 4/16/08
Papeete - 4/21/08
Re: a budgie or a rose breasted cockatoo? please help [Re: CMB] #293564 05/22/08 04:56 PM
4Keetsn'2kids Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I'm sorry if you had a bad experience...hopefully you will be able to get your budgie after all.

I think that budgies are very pleasant and mostly have enjoyable sounds. =) Mine can be obnoxious when telling each other off all at the same time, but otherwise, they are enjoyable. I do know that bigger birds can be louder...we have friends that have conures and they are so obnoxious...I can hardly speak in the same room with them...the louder you are, the louder they get...and they always win!

I did not stick with just one budgie...I felt that it needed a friend. I am not sure if that was the best option, but it was the route I took. The budgies are more bonded to each other than to me, so if you want it more for your personal enjoyment, then definitely get one and bond with it and I would definitely suggest a male budgie, as they are more vocal than the females.

If you will not be spending much time working with the birds, then you might want to get two, so they will have companionship. I currently have four. I do not think they will bond much with me, but I am here daily and do try. =) Let us know what you decide.

Re: a budgie or a rose breasted cockatoo? please help [Re: 4Keetsn'2kids] #293567 05/22/08 05:11 PM
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Cockatoo's are A LOT of work. WAY more than a budgie, and they have different care. They need alot more attention, think of taking care of a cockatoo akin to taking care of a toddler. It's about the same.

As far as noise. They may not sing and chatter all day, but when they are upset they are very noisy.

If you live in an apartment you may want to check with your landlord beofre getting a parrot of any kind. I know where I live cockatoos, macaws, quakers and conures are specifically banned. All other birds are at the discretion of the superintendant (usually based on noise complaints). There are a few people who have cockateils and budgies, but no one seems to mind because they are not that noisy.

Growing up my step mother had a cockatoo, and it could be heard from the end of our street (7 houses away!)when he got excited.

Re: a budgie or a rose breasted cockatoo? please help [Re: 428pm] #293568 05/22/08 05:30 PM
SunnyDayz Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I agree with your lifestyle not being condussive to having a cockatoo. They actually become destructive and seem like they're going insane if they don't get the attention they need.

Are you going to interact with the bird 1-2 hours every day when you're home? Or is that just the time frame that you'll be around? If you can't commit to interracting with it for those hours, I would recommend independant birds like finches or canaries...ones that don't like human interaction.

If you will be interacting with it, then I agree with getting two. I think one may become too lonely by the time you tame it, and it would need a buddy quickly.

Just my 2 cents... smile

Re: a budgie or a rose breasted cockatoo? please help [Re: SunnyDayz] #293585 05/22/08 07:07 PM
TBJ♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Go to mytoos.com if you want to know the facts about cockatoos smile They need a ton of attention, I wouldn't recommend one at all if you can only spend a couple of hours a day with them, or if you live in an apartment, they're very loud.

Re: a budgie or a rose breasted cockatoo? please help [Re: SunnyDayz] #293592 05/22/08 07:43 PM
A
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted By: SunnyDayz
I agree with your lifestyle not being condussive to having a cockatoo. They actually become destructive and seem like they're going insane if they don't get the attention they need.

Are you going to interact with the bird 1-2 hours every day when you're home? Or is that just the time frame that you'll be around? If you can't commit to interracting with it for those hours, I would recommend independant birds like finches or canaries...ones that don't like human interaction.

If you will be interacting with it, then I agree with getting two. I think one may become too lonely by the time you tame it, and it would need a buddy quickly.

Just my 2 cents... smile

I totally agree!!

Re: a budgie or a rose breasted cockatoo? please help [Re: ] #293593 05/22/08 07:52 PM
Jessica Rawks Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I agree with everything that has been said. I work with a great Gallah named Lacey. She requires tons of time and energy, not for someone who only has a few hours a day. They are very emotional and will mutilate themselves if they are bored. Their bite can be ferocious, Lacey as actually drawn blood from me. They are also known for going for your throat when angry, no joke. Plus the money involved compared to budgies is different by the thousands.

Here's my girl, Lacey:

The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Re: a budgie or a rose breasted cockatoo? please h [Re: Jessica Rawks] #293594 05/22/08 08:00 PM
Seafoam Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Wow, ouch. Biting your throat? Idk, but does anyone really have the time to greatly take care of these birds? What if you had two, would it still need tons and tons of attention?

Re: a budgie or a rose breasted cockatoo? please help [Re: Seafoam] #293600 05/22/08 09:00 PM
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
these arent the kind of birds you pair up....I wasnt joking when I said taking care of them was exactly like having a toddler, they have the same emotional needs, the same intelligence and cognitive graces, they are a very INVOLVED companion...Not really a 'pet'...Also, have you considered the lifespan of a cockatoo?

I would greatly URGE you to not buy one without knowing what you are getting into. Too often you see these poor animals hurt and abandoned by well meaning people.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site