Page 1 of 2 1 2
I have a problem... #292612 05/18/08 04:07 PM
L
LoRaXspeek4keets Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
L
So, I finally got through my second year at college. I'm at my parents' house with my birdies. All is good.

Except that Chi-Chi and Nene totally freak out and make a tonof noise at night when my parents are trying to go to bed.

I don't know how to get them to stop. It's bad enough that my parents (chiefly my mom) allowed them to degenerate to the point that I have to retrain them.

But, on top of that, she sits there and yells at me every night (our rooms are right next to each other) because the birds (mostly Chi-Chi) are making noise.

She doesn't seem to understand that they're not like dogs, where I can just tell them to be quiet and they will. And she also doesn't seem to realize that by yelling at me, she's probably just exciting them more with all the noise she's making.

I tried closing their cage (usually I just leave it open and they go in when they're tired), but then Chi-chi just squawked because he was locked in.

Then I tried covering them (I don't usually), but then Chi-Chi just squawked because he couldn't see. So I uncovered the front of the cage, but then he just squawked because...well I don't know why...

So help--what can I do to settle them down at night so they'll be quiet? It's not like my mom is objecting to the noise per se--they are super loud all during the day and it's fine.

It's just when it's night, and they're supposed to be asleep anyway, I can't have them getting all revved up, because my mother and I might end up killing each other. smile

So what should I do to keep them quiet?

Re: I have a problem... [Re: LoRaXspeek4keets] #292617 05/18/08 04:12 PM
budgielicious Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
soft music, dim lights, just cover part of the cage, maybe a night time treat????

Have a BLESSED day!

Re: I have a problem... [Re: budgielicious] #292620 05/18/08 04:21 PM
A
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
A
ditto above, I was going to say soft music to try. My son has frogs-now if your mom wants to hear noise at night she should be awakened to the sound of the frogs um..."courting" in the middle of the night!! LOL

BTW-I don't yell at him I just roll over and cover my head.

Re: I have a problem... [Re: ] #292631 05/18/08 05:15 PM
TBJ♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Maybe you should make their bedtime earlier (and get them up earlier in the morning), that way their noise won't be a disturbance.

Re: I have a problem... [Re: TBJ♥] #292647 05/18/08 06:09 PM
Kariva Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
yea i keep my guys up late and they end up being so tired they just put themselves to sleep now

Re: I have a problem... [Re: Kariva] #292669 05/18/08 07:10 PM
Jessica Rawks Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
My guys LOVE their schedule! They know when it's time to do our little night time routine and get ready for it. I always do the same thing every night, ending with them being covered with a dark cover.

You can do whatever routine works for you, but stick to it, within a few days they will know what is coming and will settle right down once you cover them.

The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Re: I have a problem... [Re: Jessica Rawks] #292679 05/18/08 07:28 PM
suzzie Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
i know a few well not agree with this but..some times hope gets mad at me and well do the same thing...i guess she knows it well get to me lol..i normaly keep some kind of light on at night..so its not dark for them...but when she does this i well turn all the lights off at night..so its total darkness...ofcouse i make sure they are at there sleeping spots befor i do this....that allways makes her stop and see i well not put up with this lol....she way makes some noises at first but only for a min, then go's right to sleep....see the first few times i did this i stayed in the room and watched them for a good hr. to make sure they was ok with it....i hope that help any

Re: I have a problem... [Re: LoRaXspeek4keets] #292812 05/19/08 12:33 AM
P
Pelwyn Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
P
If it's possible and won't drive you crazy, maybe try leaving a tv on where they can see/hear it? Sometimes when I watch movies on my pc my crew gather up on the perch closest and watch too. The only other ideas I have others have already posted.
I hope you find something that works. I can imagine how stressful it is.

Re: I have a problem... [Re: Pelwyn] #292819 05/19/08 12:53 AM
nellnbert Offline
Regular
Regular
all day today Bert has been squawking at the birds outside. not that he can see them, the walls are just that thin in this apartment. Well, it helped a little to put the cover on, but it is so hot here, I just use a light piece of cloth.

I find that when he is carrying on like that, a little music helps, I know it has been suggested, but sometimes it hasn't today.

So what did I do today...I think if music/tv or a little night light doesn't work for you, you might have some sleepless nights. Cause whenever Bert squawks, I get up and "bug" him. Yep, do some finger training, pet him, just do something to distract him.

Maybe try to figure out what is causing the loudness and distract them from it. Oh, I also got Bert out of the cage for awhile, then he walked into his smaller temp cage for a bit today too. He has been quiet ever since.

Re: I have a problem... [Re: nellnbert] #293012 05/19/08 11:06 PM
L
LoRaXspeek4keets Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
L
lol thanks guys for all the help. he music just makes them freak out more and want to sing along wildly. so i tried the tv/covering/dim lights and it worked!

now i have a happy mommy which means happy me, due to lack of nagging. thanks! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site