Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
need advice #277372 04/05/08 04:57 AM
Love our Birds Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
hi i am a friend of love our birds. and i am typing for her.

sunshine and hawk the two lovers are in a seperate cage right now and have been for a week. sunshine has been showing all the signs of being ready to lay her eggs, but nothing has happened yet. she eats her cuttle bone drinks just fine and is pretty active during the day. at night she is very quite. hawk feeds her and stays by her side all day. i noticed that her vent opens and then closes up. is this normal?? today i rubbed some olive oil on her and her vent seemed to open a little, then tonight it closed up again. earlier today her vent was opening but it looked like she was trying to push and then it closed up. she also has this bump on her tummy near her vent, but it does not feel like an egg, it sticks out and is pointy, what is that?? is she egg bound? what else can we do to help her?? please write back asap. thank you for your help and advice.

My Babies: 7 Girls & 6 Boys

Re: need advice [Re: Love our Birds] #277590 04/05/08 10:37 PM
Jessica Rawks Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
She sounds egg bound. It may be pointy because it is the end of the egg.
You can force feed her a few cc's of olive oil with a syringe, you have to be SUPER CAREFUL to not aspirate her or she will die. After giving her the olive oil orally rub some on her vent and the egg should come rather quickly. The egg will no longer be any good because of the olive oil. The egg won't be any good anyway because you've already gotten olive oil on it, I'm sure, by rubbing oil on her vent.
Of course a trip to the vet is the best advice you will reveive, however. Egg binding is serious and often results in death if the proper measures aren't taken.
Good luck.

The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/24/20 01:27 AM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site