Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Need advice #276550 04/02/08 05:23 PM
Draw_me_a_Bunny Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
I've had my keets now for about 7 months and yesterday was the first time I've ever seen Bit get into her food dish and kick food out. She wiggled a bit when in there, pecked at her food, jumped out and would repeat. Bit has never layed eggs since she has been with me and is around 2 years old.

Original I thought they were both boys which was perfect, because I didn't want them to breed, but of course they turned out to be male and female.

My mother has had keet clutches in the past so I have her to help me if the eggs are fertile however we're having difference in opinion on wether or not to put a nesting box in.

Like I previously said I don't want a clutch at this point, my keets and I are still working on becoming compeltely hand trained and while I'd love to experience a clutch at some point in my adult life- now isn't that time.

My issue with the nesting box is that Bit is still in breeding mode, I'm concerened that putting a nesting box in now is going to promote breeding (if it hasn't already happened).

Thanks in advance!

Re: Need advice [Re: Draw_me_a_Bunny] #276571 04/02/08 07:31 PM
TheFearlessFour Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
By putting in the nesting box, you are encouraging it. If you don't want eggs right now, don't put it in. Also, change around the cage often so it doesn't get to comfortable. Cover them early in the evening and uncover later in the morning. She can still be in breeding mode but there are ways to discourage it.

The Fearless Four

Re: Need advice [Re: TheFearlessFour] #276609 04/02/08 10:02 PM
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Thanks for the response, I may not have been clear enough in my first post though.

I'm worried that maybe she is stressed currently because she doesn't have a place to lay eggs, which is one reason I would WANT to put a nesting box in. The flip side being, I'm reading too much into her behavior and she isn't carrying eggs-obviously then I wouldn't want to put a nesting box in the cage.

Re: Need advice [Re: Draw_me_a_Bunny] #277121 04/04/08 07:17 PM
TheFearlessFour Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Do you have a male keet? Do you have pictures you can post?

The Fearless Four

Re: Need advice [Re: TheFearlessFour] #283244 04/22/08 05:06 PM
M
Mandy's mom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
M
or if you have another cage you could seperate them.but changing it(the cage)around's best.

Re: Need advice [Re: Mandy's mom] #285363 04/29/08 02:46 AM
val313 Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Most females will lay them anywhere. Once an egg is ready they have to lay it regardless of a nestbox. Peeps laid one in my hand, one on the living room floor and the other 4 on the bottom of her cage. After that she could care less about them. She more than likely will lay it on the bottom of her cage or in the food dish. You may add a mineral block if you dont already have one and some ground oyster shells. If she is about to lay an egg she needs the extra calcium to keep her shells hard.

RIP Peeps
Re: Need advice [Re: val313] #286376 05/01/08 05:10 PM
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Thanks for the responses. It's been a month and there have no other signs of nesting, she still digs occassionally but it *seems* to be just a new habit she's picked up. I've started changing the layout of the cage every couple of weeks to discourage breeding and will keep an eye out.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by rxonlinesecure - 05/20/22 08:53 AM
Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians
by dfdchgf - 05/18/22 12:04 PM
Architecture photography challeng
by latinkaone - 05/16/22 09:30 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site