Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Michigan and Florida.... [Re: Capt. Haddock] #272294 03/23/08 01:08 PM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Capt. Haddock
I'm the opposite here.
I think Obama is the only exciting/interesting thing to happen in American politics in my lifetime.

Why do you feel that?

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Michigan and Florida.... [Re: Stephen] #272672 03/24/08 08:32 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Good question and hard to answer.
For starters I'll tell you that my wife actually knows the man, she was a student of his when he taught law in Chicago, and she absolutely raves about the man as do a few of her friends who studied with her who now volunteer for his campaign: basically he's got an extremely sharp intellect and his heart is in the right place.

From where I sit, not knowing the man personally, yes he does strike me as being very sharp (not all of God's creatures can do law review at Harvard). Hillary is, of course, also very sharp. Obama posesses a dynamic youthful energy that Hillary does not. Obama is an outsider to politics, still. It's not his family business and he hasn't been doing it for years. It strikes me that he still believes in ideals; he hasn't turned cynical. And yes, he's a good speaker, he can get people excited. America needs something it can get excited about, it needs something that can bring people together other than fear. Furthermore, the man's background is interesting and I think makes him much more of a "break from the past" than Hillary would be, and America desperately needs a break from the past. And by interesting background I mean not just his racial background but also the fact that he had an international upbringing (much like my own) and I think therefore he has a more global vision of things. How nice and refreshing to have a leader that can actually engage with other cultures and civilizations instead of just shooting them. Going back to his racial background, I think it means something that he would be the first president in US history not to hail from the dominant tribe. At the same time, he's not so black as to harbor tribal resentment against whites. He's a mix of races that happens in America as opposed to belonging to an imported race that has kept to its own kind. In some way that makes him more American, more really American, than most people.

But then again, I said he's the only interesting thing to happen in American politics in MY lifetime, which isn't necessarily saying a whole lot. I can throw the question back to you and tell you that I was born in 1973: what other interesting thing has happened in American politics since then? A succession of crusty, vaguely corrupt old geezers who think they are entitled to rule by birth like some sort of latter-day aristocracy. Maybe I'm hoping for something in Obama that isn't really there, but the other candidates CERTAINLY don't have it, whereas Obama might: so there.

Re: Michigan and Florida.... [Re: Capt. Haddock] #272674 03/24/08 08:37 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Just a little afterthought, here. I hear a lot of people going on about how Obama is inexperienced, contrasted to Hillary who is more professional because she's more of an "industry insider". I think it's actually a very, very good thing to be inexperienced in the political arena. Look at it this way: the founding fathers were NOT career politicians. Most of them were gentlemen-farmers or whatever, who felt called to perform public service for a term or two and then happily went back to their farms to grow peanuts or do whatever it was they did. The career politician is a fairly recent phenomenon in American history and not a particularly good one if I may say so myself. Our inexperienced founding fathers seemed to do a far better job of things than our current batch of highly experienced professional plutocrats and kleptocrats.

Re: Michigan and Florida.... [Re: Capt. Haddock] #272929 03/25/08 03:01 AM
Carl Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
Captain, I think you may have changed my vote!

Marge is the love of my life.
Re: Michigan and Florida.... [Re: Carl] #272952 03/25/08 04:22 AM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Woot! Yay! (just a happy Obama fan, here)

Re: Michigan and Florida.... [Re: ] #272986 03/25/08 12:49 PM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Capt. Haddock- Just so you know I wasn't trying to challenge you, persay. I was simply interested in what you meant by what you said and I was excited to read what you had to say. I have to say, I understand your second post and I think it makes perfect sense.

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Michigan and Florida.... [Re: Capt. Haddock] #273047 03/25/08 04:34 PM
I
IronFront Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I
Originally Posted By: Capt. Haddock
Just a little afterthought, here. I hear a lot of people going on about how Obama is inexperienced, contrasted to Hillary who is more professional because she's more of an "industry insider". I think it's actually a very, very good thing to be inexperienced in the political arena. Look at it this way: the founding fathers were NOT career politicians. Most of them were gentlemen-farmers or whatever, who felt called to perform public service for a term or two and then happily went back to their farms to grow peanuts or do whatever it was they did. The career politician is a fairly recent phenomenon in American history and not a particularly good one if I may say so myself. Our inexperienced founding fathers seemed to do a far better job of things than our current batch of highly experienced professional plutocrats and kleptocrats.

Very well put!

Re: Michigan and Florida.... [Re: Stephen] #273453 03/26/08 08:26 AM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Originally Posted By: 3budgies
Capt. Haddock- Just so you know I wasn't trying to challenge you, persay. I was simply interested in what you meant by what you said and I was excited to read what you had to say. I have to say, I understand your second post and I think it makes perfect sense.

No, I didn't think you were challenging me: it's just that you asked the question and it really made me think about what the answer was. smile

Re: Michigan and Florida.... [Re: Capt. Haddock] #277920 04/06/08 06:42 PM
A
AdrienneR Offline
Regular
Regular
A
I think if Florida and Michigan get to seat delegates - then the Democratic Party in THOSE states need to fund a RE-Election.

I had to scramble to be registered as a Democrat in NJ this past February. I didn't realize that when I moved from down here that my registration didn't include my party affiliation. Regardless, NJ made me follow the rules and WE the Democrats in New Jersey followed the rules.

On another note - where the heck were all the Democrats in Florida in 2000? They want to fight internally now? Why didn't they scream and holler for their rights against the Recons? Seriously - there's a part of me that questions it. . .

Capt. Haddock - I tend to agree with you. I campaigned for Hillary Clinton in 2000. She does a great deal of good for New Yorkers. So, I'm not a Clinton "Hater". But this dynastic crap? It's gotta end with this election. What's next? Jenna v. Chelsea? Enough.

BTW - I'm a black woman who campaigned for a year and a half mobilizing for John Edwards. There's a huge part of me that even at 35 - I really never thought I'd see my party's final two look like this. Not in my lifetime. This is why I'm a social liberal and progressive.

No way could I vote McSame. We will be at war with Iran by the end of January. Disastrous. Over my dead body would I pull the lever for one of those people. McCain is just, YUCK. No way.

I think the internal sour grapes in the Democratic party in general needs to end. Look - if Edwards, Kucinich, Gravell, and Richardsons's supports - all the far left of the party . . . can still get behind the two candidates then the Corporate Democrats that BOTH Hill and Barry represent can swallow it and take one for the team if their candidate doesn't win.

The left has got to think like 'that' if we are going to pull this off and get the Republicans out of office this November.

Re: Michigan and Florida.... [Re: AdrienneR] #279229 04/08/08 09:13 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Whoa, this got buried under a bunch of other posts. Sudden flurry of activity here.

Adrienne: yes, on substance alone, Edwards probably was the best candidate: but it was fairly obvious from early on that he wasn't going to win it - politics is politics.

I do worry that the Democratic internal contest will go on until August, giving McWar all the time he needs to work on his campaign while the Democrats are too busy fighting against each other: would be typical, somehow, wouldn't it?

If he wins, though, well...I guess I'll just be happy I don't live in the US anymore, although it might be a great time to go back and buy stocks, real estate and indentured servants at fire sale prices.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site