Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
8 infertile eggs!?..my baby cassie seems sick!!!!! #268146 03/11/08 01:56 AM
E
elaine3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
unfortunately all of my eggs were infertile. all 8 of them!!! it has been a total heartbreak for me!!!! frown Cassie is acting funny though, she never EVER lets me pick her up and she did today. and somehow the last three eggs that were left have disappeared and no one moved them. i dont know what is wrong and i fear the worst. what sdo you think i should do?

Re: 8 infertile eggs!?..my baby cassie seems sick!!!!! [Re: elaine3] #268220 03/11/08 04:15 AM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
vet.
when darcy, my bird who flies away when i look at him, did that one day I took him to the vet and he was on death's door. He had a gi infection that was in his pancreas making him diabetic. his blood sugar was above 900 and it should never be above 250... when birds start acting funny like that it usually means they are very very sick.

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: 8 infertile eggs!?..my baby cassie seems sick!!!!! [Re: ShamRockStar] #268268 03/11/08 10:34 AM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Yes, it's never a good sign when a normally shy paraket lets you pick them up. Laying eight eggs must have been verry stressful for Cassie so she must be very weak. I'd also say that the vet is the only option. Good luck.

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: 8 infertile eggs!?..my baby cassie seems sick!!!!! [Re: Stephen] #268341 03/11/08 03:10 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
in my opinion the fact that all eight eggs were infetile could also mean there is something wrong with the pair (both of them) from being so worn out from so many cllutches. if you take her to the vet he can even give her hormone shots that will stop her from laying.

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: 8 infertile eggs!?..my baby cassie seems sick!!!!! [Re: ShamRockStar] #268753 03/12/08 03:10 AM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Ok, I agree. Heather, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but whenever I try and give advice you always seem to challenge me or try and make me sound stupid and it really bugs me ... I hope it's just me over-analyzing posts and that these are not your intentions.

Re: 8 infertile eggs!?..my baby cassie seems sick!!!!! [Re: Stephen] #268886 03/12/08 07:33 PM
TheFearlessFour Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I say vet too and hope you took her.

It's been 2 days since the original post.....how are things?

The Fearless Four

Re: 8 infertile eggs!?..my baby cassie seems sick!!!!! [Re: TheFearlessFour] #269114 03/13/08 01:08 AM
E
elaine3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
i took Cassie to the vet...it cost me an arm and a leg and im only 18 and def dont have that much money but i did it somehow...thanks everyone. she seems to be getting better they think she has a deficiency of calcium. thats why she ate 3 of her eggs! i'm still super nervous...thanks for all your support guys this has been really hard for me and i find it nice to have all you! thanks!!! if you have any more advice on anything i would really appreciate it! i hope my baby will be okay!!

Re: 8 infertile eggs!?..my baby cassie seems sick!!!!! [Re: elaine3] #269124 03/13/08 01:29 AM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Yeah, female (and male) parakeets need calcium supplements and cuttlebones galore when they are breeding. Having babies and laying eggs is very straining and stressful to them and they need calcium ... and fresh foods never hurt either. Also, female parakeets will eat the membrane of an egg once the baby hatches out because it tastes very good to them. So don't be woried if she is chewin on the egg shells after the babies hatch. smile

What else did the vet do and/or say?

Good luck!

Re: 8 infertile eggs!?..my baby cassie seems sick!!!!! [Re: Stephen] #269127 03/13/08 01:38 AM
E
elaine3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
well see no babies hatched and i cant even find a spare pice of a shell. it stinks. im nervous. i dont think my vet took me very seriously. that really bothered me. she said to try some suppliments besides just a cuttlebone...thats about it. not very helpful. i figure if it gets even the LEAST bit worse shes going to another vet! pronto!!!!!!!

Re: 8 infertile eggs!?..my baby cassie seems sick!!!!! [Re: elaine3] #269209 03/13/08 03:27 AM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
Shave cuttlebone in her food, make sure there is a mineral block available, you can buy calcium supplements and try scrambling an egg with the shell still on it for her, unfortunately not many vets take budgie owenrs seriously, but you did the right thing smile

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: 8 infertile eggs!?..my baby cassie seems sick!!!!! [Re: ShamRockStar] #269230 03/13/08 03:56 AM
val313 Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Peeps layed 7 eggs and one that had to be removed surgically. She was not getting enough calcium either. So, upon taking her to the vet he recommended ground Oyster shells. You can find them in pet stores. I put it in a small dish and sprinkled some oat groats on the top and lightly mix them in. It makes them try to get the seeds and it gets the powder in their mouth (good thing). Now mine think of it as a treat cup and investigate it every morning.

Here is a link to another supplement that you can use:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=6166

Also, I have a mineral block (it is shaped like grapes) in there as well. She knaws on it as needed. These things helped her a bunch she was able to pass all of the eggs after that.

RIP Peeps
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/24/20 01:27 AM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site