Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
toe nail clipping #25928 09/16/05 02:57 PM
adieu Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
OK, I have sort of been in denial about the fact that Esso may need his toe nails trimmed. A couple of them looked a little long, but I figured he would wear them down on his textured perches, or that the nails would just stop growing at a certain point.

Well today, i noticed one of his longest nails was nearly broken off - it was just hanging by the corner - so i took it off and meaured it - about 3 mm long. That may not sound very long, but the whole nail was about 6 mm, so it was truly cut in half. I looked and all his other nails look like they have been worn down or broken off at this point except for one very long one. Should I trim this one myself, or just hope that when it breaks, it breaks beyond the quick?

It seems silly to take him to a vet for just 1 remaining long nail. I think i could do it myself, just the very tip - although Esso would be pretty mad at me. I am worried that if the nail breaks on its own, it could break too short and start bleeding.

Thoughts?

chance favors the prepared mind.
Re: toe nail clipping #25929 09/16/05 04:12 PM
jessabean Offline
Friend
Friend
i used to clip my mika's nails whenever they started hurting me when he flew on my hand, those things were like little talons.. just yesterday tho i had a very scary accident and i was so upset by it. i usually just pick up mika and hold his little feet and open each toe and snip the nail, yesterday, as i had his little toe in the clipper he jerked suddenly and started flapping just as i clipped it down and i heard. "FWEEEP!!!!" and his nail started gushing blood.. i was histerical crying and shaking and i thought he was going to die b/c i heard parakeets can die very easily from any little loss of blood b/c they are so small.. i put pressure on his toe but it seemed to me that he lost so much blood!!!! it stopped after about 2 minutes but i felt like the worst bird parent ever, birds cant distinguish between accidently hurt and deliberate hurt, so to him i caused him pain and he was a little scared to come to me after that =(!! i still feel horrible about it, but i went out bought him a new toy and i fed him some millet and he ate seeds from my hand and drank the water i gave to him, and after a little bit he was back to being his hyper self, jumping around all over the cage and playing on his new toy which he absolutly LOVEEESS.... im just glad i didnt cut his toe off and just snipped the nail a little too far down....eep.. =(

~ Katzie
~ Mika <3 10/8/05
Re: toe nail clipping #25930 09/16/05 04:35 PM
adieu Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
i'm glad he is ok jessabean. i have to say you have not made me very enthusiastic about trimming his nail. I just hope that if/when it breaks on its own, it does not bleed.
I think I will keep some styptic powder on hand just in case :-)

ps what kind of toy did you get him?

Re: toe nail clipping #25931 09/16/05 06:34 PM
S
Sylv Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
You have to be so so carefull when you cut their nails but accidents do happen and I am glad he is o.k.

Re: toe nail clipping #25932 09/16/05 07:31 PM
jessabean Offline
Friend
Friend
yah im so glad too but he seems to be doing just fine now, i got him this little toy, nothing fancy, from walmart, it hangs from the top of the cage and is kind of like a seesaw shape and motion to it, with a mirror in the middle on both sides, some spinning beads below the mirror, and then a dangling bell underneath it all, and hes been having a blast on it, climbing thru the holes and swinging back and forth haha

~ Katzie
~ Mika <3 10/8/05
Re: toe nail clipping #25933 09/16/05 08:07 PM
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I would clip the nail or take him to a vet to clip it.. the possiblity of snagging it on something would just make me so worried. Have you ever had a nail like that, and get it cought on your clothing or bed spread and it just..rips, and hurts really bad and sometimes bleeds? That could happen to Esso, and if it happened at night while your sleeping you may not be there to stop the bleeding in time. If you think you can do it, try it, even if Esso is mad at you it would probley only last a few hours, day tops. I had to bath Cosmo, I'm sure you remember that, he was somewhat mad at me for only about a day then it seemed like he forgot the whole thing.

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Your life was short lived but I hope you were very happy.
Re: toe nail clipping #25934 09/16/05 10:31 PM
adieu Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
i will probably try it. big sigh.
i have my kids baby toe nail clippers, they are tiny, and should work, i will just have to be quick about it. there's just not alot of margin for error, -just a millimeter in either direction really -
luckily there is only one that is really starting to curve around alot.

Re: toe nail clipping #25935 09/25/05 06:49 PM
adieu Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
just a little follow up on esso's overgrown nail- we trimmed esso's long toe nail today - without any incident! it went much better than i thought it would. Luckily i have a friend who is a vet, so she came over, and i held Esso, and she trimmed his toe nail. no bleeding, but we had Styptic gel around just in case. She said it was definitely time for a trim, and she said it is also a 2 person job. As i realize that not everybody will have a friend who is a vet available, i thought i would tell you how we did it -
-i held Esso belly side up
-she extended his leg (that joint that looks like a backwards knee is really his ankle !) By extending (straightening) the leg, it makes the bird stretch out his foot so that you can really access the toe nails
- she clipped back only so far as she could definitely see she would not nick the quick
- she said that as the nail becomes overgrown, so does the quick (the blood supply), so you can only cut the nail in small increments if the nail is way overgrown. as the nail is cut shorter, the quick will retract (shrink), and you can cut the nail again in a few weeks if needed. (we may need to smile )
- she also said that most of the time, keets will not need a nail trim, but if they do, it is frequently the same nail that needs trimming over and over again.
- she did warn me that sometimes small birds will die just from the stress of the whole ordeal. Esso was a little mad at being held like that, but he was not stressed or traumatized. in fact, when he was done, he just flew up to my shoulder for awhile, then flew to his cage and started eating a fresh leaf of lettuce. he did great!

it really was not a big deal for him - i was surprised at that. And it really needed to get done. Esso was starting to get the nail stuck in his wiffle ball and i was getting worried. his nail is still a bit long, but it's way better than it was just hours ago! hopefully this will be of help for you if your keet needs a trim in the future.

Re: toe nail clipping #25936 09/25/05 07:04 PM
S
Sylv Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
That is great that you got it done.I cut Tattoos nails today as they started getting caught in things.I advise anyone who's birds nails need cutting to get someone who knows what they are doing to do it smile

Re: toe nail clipping #25937 09/25/05 07:14 PM
adieu Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
thanks sylv, and yes i never could have done this without my friend's help and expertise -

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How to write an essay in German
by bethyy - 08/13/22 07:01 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by williamN - 08/06/22 11:23 AM
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by PaulWunsch - 07/28/22 06:06 AM
Tips for DTF printing
by textekprinter - 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site