Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
sunny is going to be a mommy! #258045 02/18/08 06:27 PM
*6 budgie nutz* Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
hi, everyone. I just wanted to let you all know that my little girl sunny is going to be a mommy. and to let all of you parakeets owners know. that keeping males and females in a cage without a nestbox or anything else to promote breeding, DOES NOT ALWAYS WORK. I have had sunny in a cage with one other female and 2 males. no nestboxs no playhuts. only there toys and foodbowls. and well my little girl decided she was going to start laying eggs in our fooddish and fight off the other birds when they would come to try and eat lol. so i had to remove the other female and one of the males, and i left the male that i thought that MAYBE she might have mated with. which is raine. i put up the nest box and placed her eggs in there in hopes that she would start laying in the box rather than the food dish and she took to it right away. so far she has 5 eggs two of which ARE FERTILE yayyyy lol. the other 3 she just recently laid so they may not have developed yet. I am just in such shock. this was sooooooo unplanned and i didnt evan think that sunny had bonded with any of them yet she usually stays off on her on. and so does raine. and another shocker is. when i bought sunny he cere was brown and crusty, meaning she was in breeding mode. as soon as she was put in the cage with the others she tried to meeko my male to mount her ha ha. but that soon ended when she seen they wanted nothing to do with her. so her cere turned back white. and it stayed white. I dont understand how she can be laying eggs and breeding and her cere is white. I guess just sometimes it dont change. so theres another warning for you guys just because the cere isnt brown or tan doesnt mean there not ready to breed.lol But evan though this wasnt prepared for. I do have the supplies from where i attempted to breed befor. so i just set up all those things the nest box. already had up the cuttlebone and they always get there powdered vitamins. and now sunny and raine are alone in there cage. sunny is being a wonderful mom CONSTANTLY sitting on her eggs she WILL NOT leave that box for nothing. and raine is guarding her door and feeding her like a good daddy. so so far 2 babys are on the way. wish us luck you guys this will be our first clutch and im soooo excited!

here are some pictures of sunny sitting on her eggs, and hissing at my cam lol

TEEKA R.I.P 6-1-07 R.i.p meeko 8-20-2010
allaboutkeets.cabanova.com
Re: sunny is going to be a mommy! [Re: *6 budgie nutz*] #258072 02/18/08 07:56 PM
TheFearlessFour Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Good luck!!!

The Fearless Four

Re: sunny is going to be a mommy! [Re: TheFearlessFour] #258077 02/18/08 08:04 PM
Amethyst Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
cool, be sure to post pics when they hatch!

Re: sunny is going to be a mommy! [Re: Amethyst] #258078 02/18/08 08:13 PM
TBJ♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Aww congrats! smile

Re: sunny is going to be a mommy! [Re: TBJ♥] #258086 02/18/08 08:40 PM
H
helwa
Unregistered
helwa
Unregistered
H
awww smile congrats to you sunny and raine:)

how long do keets take to hatch ???

Re: sunny is going to be a mommy! [Re: ] #258197 02/18/08 10:22 PM
*6 budgie nutz* Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
well some people say 18-21 days from the day that they are laid, BUT really the chicks do not start to develop and form until the hen starts to full time incubate them. she will sit on them on and off until the 2nd or 3rd egg is laid after those are laid she will start to sit on the eggs fulltime never leaveing the nest except for to releave herself on occassion only to return to the nest moments later. so really its 18-21days from the start of incubation.

TEEKA R.I.P 6-1-07 R.i.p meeko 8-20-2010
allaboutkeets.cabanova.com
Re: sunny is going to be a mommy! [Re: *6 budgie nutz*] #258201 02/18/08 10:24 PM
H
helwa
Unregistered
helwa
Unregistered
H
aaah ok thats not too bad smile

but that wait would drive me insane lol

Re: sunny is going to be a mommy! [Re: ] #258214 02/18/08 10:35 PM
T
The_Zookeeper Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
T
damg 18-20!?!? that's not nearly as long as my gecko eggs. darn, lolz.

Re: sunny is going to be a mommy! [Re: The_Zookeeper] #258319 02/18/08 11:50 PM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I didn't even know you had a bird named Sunny, lol. But congrats anyway and hope everything goes well!

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: sunny is going to be a mommy! [Re: Stephen] #258330 02/18/08 11:58 PM
S
Samiya Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
S
yay !i'm so happy for you!

good luck!

[Linked Image from i118.photobucket.com]
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How to write an essay in German
by bethyy - 08/13/22 07:01 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by williamN - 08/06/22 11:23 AM
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by PaulWunsch - 07/28/22 06:06 AM
Tips for DTF printing
by textekprinter - 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site