Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Training is working...but kinda not... #253802 02/08/08 01:20 AM
Clairakeet Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Ok, so I have re-trained Morpheus to give kisses, and I reward him with a bite of Millet. Once he started doing kisses consistantly, I started training him to flap his wings. So today I get home and pull him out to work with him, and he's doing kisses, he's doing wings, but he will just keep on flapping his wings thinking that I will give him millet just for flapping. He's missing the part about doing it on command!

Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Training is working...but kinda not... [Re: Clairakeet] #254238 02/09/08 06:32 AM
J
JunJun Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
J
how did u teach him to flap? please share i want to teach that too.

Re: Training is working...but kinda not... [Re: JunJun] #254545 02/10/08 02:46 AM
Clairakeet Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
I put him on my finger, and whenever I said "wings", I would sorta shake my finger up and down a little until he flapped. Then I fed him millet. I chose the word "Wings" because I thought it could easily be used in a sentence, like "Show me your wings!" or "Where are Morpheus's wings?". Because I don't want their tricks to be just a one word command and then they do something. I want it to be like me and the birdie are having a conversation or something. You know?

Anyways, at this point, he still thinks that any time he flaps his wings, weather I say the word or not, that he'll get millet. He also won't do wings if he's sitting anywhere else other than my finger. But we're working on it. We've only been doing it a few days smile

So after doing it a bunch with wiggling my finger, I would try it every couple of time without wiggling my finger. Eventually he started doing it just from the word. But he still needs a finger wiggle every now and again...especially when he's distracted.

So that's how. smile

Re: Training is working...but kinda not... [Re: Clairakeet] #256703 02/16/08 02:36 PM
Seafoam Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
When he does it without command, don't give him millet. When he does it on command, give him millet. smile

Re: Training is working...but kinda not... [Re: Seafoam] #257097 02/17/08 01:59 AM
Noel+Syd+Elliot Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
agree

Noel(Parakeet)- 12/26/06-7/18/10
Sydney(Cockatiel)- 5/12/07
Elliot(TAG)- 6-11-08

Re: Training is working...but kinda not... [Re: Noel+Syd+Elliot] #257358 02/17/08 04:46 AM
S
stetsen Offline
S
ok so i just need to aks a qestoin i got a parakee and how long do you have to spend with it each day

Re: Training is working...but kinda not... [Re: stetsen] #257359 02/17/08 04:47 AM
Noel+Syd+Elliot Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
as long as you can.

Noel(Parakeet)- 12/26/06-7/18/10
Sydney(Cockatiel)- 5/12/07
Elliot(TAG)- 6-11-08

Re: Training is working...but kinda not... [Re: Noel+Syd+Elliot] #259559 02/21/08 05:20 AM
Clairakeet Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
I've tried the method of saying the command whenever he does it and giving him millet then, and I've tried the method of only giving him millet when he does it on command and not when he does it on his own.

Conclusion: He's trained me well. No matter what he does he's just so cute and I give him lots of attention, kisses, and millet. I'm a sucker, what can I say?!

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site