Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bird aggression #257037 02/17/08 12:19 AM
A
ameria Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I was wondering if anyone out there had some good advice for me. I have eight parakeets 4 female, 4 male. They all share an 3ft. by 2ft by 18 in. cage. And before anyone freaks out that its too many for one cage I should note that the cage is always open and they are free to fly from it to thier bird tree. They are seldom in it, mostly in the tree or top of the cage. I have three pairs and the other two have just recently started to bond. I have three breeding boxs hung on the wall. One pair has been much more into the whole breeding ordeal than anyone else. Except that whenever they start to mate one particular male, Nick, will attack the other male. I prefer to let nature take its course and since it never got too violent I thought I would let them work it out. But than Nick's female, Nickie (my kids named them) decided that she wanted the nesting box the other female had had for over a week. They got in a big fight attacking each other in the air and falling to the floor neither letting go. I know that they can fight to the death over a nesting area, so I broke it up and had to put Nickie who had a bleeding leg in a seperate cage. I went ahead and put Nick in there too since he kept breaking up the other two's mating. Since caging Nick and Nickie my other pair has been able to mate and lay an egg(s). My question is should I remove N and N to another area of my house so that they no longer see the other birds, or should I just move them to the larger cage and put a nesting box in it? Nickie crawls all over the cage, she is not to happy to be confined, but perhaps she is ready to mate and wants one of the nesting boxs? Thanks for the help!

Re: Bird aggression [Re: ameria] #257100 02/17/08 02:01 AM
Noel+Syd+Elliot Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
thats a guestion for LLPB

Noel(Parakeet)- 12/26/06-7/18/10
Sydney(Cockatiel)- 5/12/07
Elliot(TAG)- 6-11-08

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
NEW YEARS WISHES
by EVA21SA - 10/16/20 08:42 AM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by EVA21SA - 10/10/20 07:50 AM
nike air max2 light blanche
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:53 AM
nike air max2 light schwarz
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:42 AM
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site