Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Adventure's Last Adventure #249657 01/29/08 11:24 PM
Clairakeet Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend

This is Adventure (aka Love).

I was dog sitting for a very low-key golden retriever named Holly. She seems pretty uninterested in the birds all weekend, so I kept them in their cage on the table with the cage doors closed the whole time. Holly would glance over whenever they made a loud noise, but then she'd just continue on with whatever she had been doing previously.

However, on one of the last nights, there was some mischief. I'm not sure if it was dog or bird, but some stinker learned how to slide the cage doors up. I woke up the next morning and Holly was sleeping on the floor in the bedroom doorway as usual. I went out to the living room, and Morpheus was sitting there on the TOP of his cage...on the OUTSIDE of it!! I was like "Whew! I'm glad Holly left him alone and he's ok!" But then I realized that there were only three other birds inside the cage, not four.

I searched around the house, thinking that Adventure was just hanging out somewhere else like they so often do (and they're not trained to come when I call, so it's normal for me to call for them and get no response). But after searching the house for like four or five minutes and not finding Adventure and not hearing him either, I started to freak out. That's when I noticed a few feathers at the top of the steps. Then I saw the pile of feathers at the bottom of the steps. I was hoping that he had just maybe hopped and tumbled down the stairs, losing some feathers in the meantime, but I couldn't find him still. Then I found his leg band in the pile of feathers, and that's when I knew.

Holly had eaten Adventure. It was both funny and sad at the same time. I had only had Adventure for a little while, so we hadn't formed a close bond yet, but it was still kinda sad.

I saved up all of his little feathers in a ziplock baggie, and I clipped his leg band on the wire of the birdcage (later the birdies chewed it until it smashed).

Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: Clairakeet] #249719 01/30/08 01:29 AM
Four Keets Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
What a horrible story. That isn't funny to me at all... in fact, it makes me feel sick. If you have the slider cage doors, you need to have a way to secure them shut because budgies can get out. I don't have slider doors anymore because they can even be dangerous to the birds, but their travel cage has sliders and every time they are in it, I have twist ties that secure all doors (even the doors for the food) shut.

Never forget:
Leaf - 11/5/07
Louie - 1/25/08
Bill - 4/16/08
Papeete - 4/21/08
Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: Four Keets] #249730 01/30/08 02:01 AM
Clairakeet Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Now I always keep them in their big cage with the doors tied shut when Holly comes over. Those doors aren't sliders, but I'm not going to take another chance like that!

Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: Clairakeet] #250059 01/30/08 08:50 PM
TheFearlessFour Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Awww....poor Adventure. Mine really haven't paid attention to the sliding doors. We only have fish as other pets so I don't think they could do anything if one of the keets got out. lol.

The Fearless Four

Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: TheFearlessFour] #250079 01/30/08 09:49 PM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I agree wih Four Keets. I fail to see the comedy in a budgie getting eaten alive by a dog...

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: Stephen] #250103 01/30/08 10:31 PM
val313 Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Its not even an adventure. OMG! I cried when I read this. Not funny at all.

RIP Peeps
Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: val313] #250105 01/30/08 10:35 PM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
what a terible thing to have happen.

when you wish upon a star,you pray you wish comes true.
Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: big bad momma] #250419 01/31/08 07:45 PM
Clairakeet Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
They had never taken any interest in the sliding doors before, so it was a total shock for me to see Morpheus sitting there outside of the cage just hanging out on top. I've never noticed them giving a care about the sliding doors since, either.

Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: Clairakeet] #253885 02/08/08 04:45 AM
Sondra Offline
Companion
Companion
"funny" "adventure"???? Wow, that's pretty sick. I don't see anything funny or adventurous in having your keet eaten alive by a dog! How sad!

I have clips on my sliding doors on my keet cage.

Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: Sondra] #253962 02/08/08 02:43 PM
TheFearlessFour Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I just want to clarify that I didn't think this was funny. My lol at the end of my post was meant to be the fish trying to eat the keets if they go out.

The Fearless Four

Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: TheFearlessFour] #254076 02/08/08 10:51 PM
Clairakeet Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Oh jeez, people. Of course it's not funny being eaten alive. Ok? Quit being so sensitive. Had I known that everyone was going to get so defensive about this, I would have kept this story to myself.

Pets die. Animals eat other animals. It's sad, but it's life. Sheesh!

Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: Clairakeet] #254133 02/09/08 12:48 AM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Yes, I agree, 'Pets die. Animals eat other animals. It's sad, but it's life.'
And yes, sometimes some members can appear to be overly sensitive, but I think that it was the flippant nature of your post that shocked.

I know that even terrible situations can have a funny side, but this story wasn't funny to me, either.

Last edited by PDM; 02/09/08 01:30 AM. Reason: typo

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: PDM] #254138 02/09/08 01:00 AM
Amethyst Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
my poor baby regis had his tail feathers ripped right out of his rear end by our dog. now im much more careful, we could have easily lost him. i understand what you mean by "its life" but there are a lot of sensitve people on here, so next time, maybe think a little before posting like that. you obviously didnt mean anything by it, but some people were upset. im not mad, im just trying to stop a fight that i feel brewing...

Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: Amethyst] #254242 02/09/08 07:20 AM
lagirl143 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I didn't read your post until now but I'm sorry for what happended to Adventure. I guess pple were upset bc they didn't expect what you wrote at the end...after such a tragedy, that's all, like Amethyst said even if your intention was not being heartless.

R.I.P SKY
2/19/08

My baby PEACE
Missing 7/3/09
frown
Re: Adventure's Last Adventure [Re: lagirl143] #271226 03/19/08 10:21 PM
S
Samiya Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
S
i'm so sorry.nobody needs to get angery,but this was not funy.and i do not think Claire ment it was funny either.

rip Adventure.

Last edited by Nicolet; 03/19/08 10:22 PM. Reason: typos

[Linked Image from i118.photobucket.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site