Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
getting a cockatoo have some questions, #222108 10/29/07 03:35 PM
*6 budgie nutz* Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
ok i know this is off topic, but i want to get the most responses soon, i have been doing lots of searching and studying, i think ive got most of the basics down. from there diets and behaviors. but i would really like to get some input from anyone who may have owned or who owns a cockatoo some of the pros and cons and some advice as to there upkeep. im going to be adopting a cockatoo from a family in need of rehomeing there bird. i have been wanting a cockatoo for some time and have been researching alot. and then i came across this family in need. im in the process of makeing a date to go and meet her. to see how she interacts with me and my family. ive been told she is very friendly and loves attentions which is exactly what i want. her name is baby and she is a 4 year old umbrella cockatoo female. as soon as i get some pictures i will post. but until then any tips or advice is very welcome. and wish me luck. IM SO EXCITED!

TEEKA R.I.P 6-1-07 R.i.p meeko 8-20-2010
allaboutkeets.cabanova.com
Re: getting a cockatoo have some questions, [Re: *6 budgie nutz*] #222114 10/29/07 03:50 PM
J
JenniAnne Offline
Regular
Regular
J
Congratulations! They are beautiful birds with personality. My husband thinks budgies are loud, so obviously a cockatoo would be completely out of the question for me. You have probably already found this but just in case:

http://www.mytoos.com/main.shtml

I have seen large bird sites refer to this site for cockatoo info. I hope she's a good fit for your family!

Re: getting a cockatoo have some questions, [Re: JenniAnne] #222120 10/29/07 04:19 PM
Keets 4 life Offline
Companion
Companion
WOW that web site is brutal

I love my Keets Lemon, Lime, Tiki, Kiwi and my new tiel Coconut! R.I.P. Tiki
Re: getting a cockatoo have some questions, [Re: Keets 4 life] #222126 10/29/07 04:45 PM
val313 Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
It is honest and that is what people really need to hear. It is a big step getting such a big bird and requires lots of research. We had a Cockatoo in the museum for a while but he plucked his feathers and bit constantly so we could not us him for education. Bottom line: He was not getting enough love and attention.

Good luck on your research.

RIP Peeps
Re: getting a cockatoo have some questions, [Re: val313] #222130 10/29/07 04:51 PM
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
yes, i have read that website, and the love and attention and above all care is not a problem for me and i dont mind it at all. i am a stay at home mother. and i have all the time in the world to care for the bird and its really what im looking for in a bird. i want a champanion. a bird to love and get love in return and if not receave it back atleast i can give it. its not a problem. i love these animals and im willing to give it WHATEVER it needs. i know thats probably hard to believe as most people probably arent willing or give up. but i wont and i am willing. thanks anymore advice or knowledge is welcome.

Re: getting a cockatoo have some questions, [Re: val313] #222131 10/29/07 04:57 PM
T
The_Zookeeper Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
T
wow. yeah, brutal, but nesecary.

Re: getting a cockatoo have some questions, [Re: *6 budgie nutz*] #222132 10/29/07 04:57 PM
val313 Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
That is great! The bird will have a very loving home indeed! Can't wait to see pics of your soon to be new friend.

RIP Peeps
Re: getting a cockatoo have some questions, [Re: val313] #222133 10/29/07 05:01 PM
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
I know it is brutal, but as said nessesary. and a real eye opener to newbies. but as i said im more than willing to handle it. and yes i cant wait to get the pictures. the owner is still considering me so its not a done deal. i will keep you guys updated.

Re: getting a cockatoo have some questions, [Re: *6 budgie nutz*] #222141 10/29/07 05:52 PM
A
AndreaKat Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
A
The rescue stories literally made me cry. I cannot believe that someone could be so cruel to such a beautiful animal. Im going to go kiss my birds...

Andrea
Re: getting a cockatoo have some questions, [Re: AndreaKat] #222218 10/29/07 11:47 PM
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
ok guys, i have some bad and good news, bad news, the owner of the cockatoo decided she didnt want to send her bird home with me because i have young children frown which is understandable. but im guessing that maybe the bird had behavioral problems she didnt want to tell me about? and in a way im kind of glad she did because right after she denied me i found some pics on the web of damage that had been done by a cockatoo bite. and might i say that these were some VERYY graphic pics. that totally terrified me. and i dont want to take a chance on something like that happening to my children. like fingers,lips,eyes,ears getting bitten off. yes i said it OFF! i knew that they could cause damage but i didnt think they could cause THAT MUCH DAMAGE, but im glad i found out befor it was too late.
but the good news is, that i am talking to a guy that is trying to rehome his cockatiel, "he contacted me" He says she is very tame loves to held and hates being in her cage. which as i said befor is exactly what i want! right now im just trying to clear it up with him that she doesnt bite. but evan if she does i know theres no way she can cause as much damage as the cockatoo. ive owned 2 cockatiels in the past and i still own one "harry" although harry is not tame. so im very familar with there care and there bites. anyway wish me luck with this one guys. and here is a pic of RUCA! BTW the lady never evan sent me pics of the cockatoo. frown i think there was something fishy there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How to write an essay in German
by bethyy - 08/13/22 07:01 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by williamN - 08/06/22 11:23 AM
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by PaulWunsch - 07/28/22 06:06 AM
Tips for DTF printing
by textekprinter - 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site