Print Thread
Meet PJ... #211519 08/31/07 02:21 PM
J
JenniAnne Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
J
I've been lurking for about a month now and thought it was time to say hi. We got our new budgie, PJ, on Aug 2nd, and he is well settled in now. He is hand tamed, steps up, and loves to ride around on shoulders. I had several pet keets when I was young, but this is the first one in about twenty years.

Originally, he was named Jack, because we tried to pick a male bird at Petco (the only store in my area that had birds that looked young)--his cere was light blue. We were also trying to pick the youngest bird possible, and the bars on his head went all the way to his cere and his eyes were little black buttons--so cute! However, now as he's gotten a bit older his cere sometimes looks more pinkish than blue, and there are definately white rings around his nostrils. So, I told my kids Jack may be a girl, and they changed his name to Pebbles. We decided to call him PJ to cover both bases. Thoughts on gender? We are content to wait until he's older to know for sure.

I now realize budgies are extremely addictive. I had planned on getting PJ a friend in about 6 months when he is well settled and trained, but I keep finding myself on ebay and other sites cage shopping (we'll need a larger cage for two birds). I am reasoning out (and trying to think of a way to convince my husband) that I should splurge on a really big cage just in case I want to add more birds in the future...

Re: Meet PJ... [Re: JenniAnne] #211525 08/31/07 03:35 PM
K
Kiwi&Saphire Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
K
nice 2 meet u pj :P ur budgie is very pretty!

Nova - Horse
Solo - 6 month old keet!
<3 RIP SKY MAY 4,2008
Re: Meet PJ... [Re: Kiwi&Saphire] #211526 08/31/07 04:09 PM
Pigeon Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Howdy, your budgie is very pretty =)

Hehe, it is addictive, its so hard to resist when you go into a store and see new toys or nice cages or even realy adorable birds ^_^

If it helps,

"young male=
*purple
*purple and/or pink

young female=
*very light blue
*white
*light pink
*pink"

Quoted from LLPB awhile ago =) It was very handy so i copyed and pasted it into a word doc :P

Im not expert, but does look like a girl in that pic. Adorable bird though =) Did you have a smooth time training her?

Re: Meet PJ... [Re: Pigeon] #211542 08/31/07 05:23 PM
Four Keets Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I'm thinking you have a girl bird!! Also, awesome job having her hand trained so soon. Enjoy budgies and yes they are addicting. I have 4 in a huge cage. I am loving being a budgie owner.

Never forget:
Leaf - 11/5/07
Louie - 1/25/08
Bill - 4/16/08
Papeete - 4/21/08
Re: Meet PJ... [Re: Four Keets] #211545 08/31/07 05:51 PM
KOBE Offline
Friend
Friend
Hello PJ and JennieAnne! She's adorable.

They are addictive!! So is just plain shopping for things to give them. I've spent more money on budgie things in the past 2 months than I have on dog and cat things in the past year.

... and now I think I know why my cat keeps giving me that look.

Well done with the taming and continued good luck smile

Re: Meet PJ... [Re: JenniAnne] #211549 08/31/07 06:15 PM
J
JenniAnne Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
J
We've been thinking he's a she, too. We're so used to saying "he" now though, I don't know if we can switch. Luckily, she doesn't know the difference and won't be offended.

As for hand training, PJ spent the first 18 hours she was with us on the bottom of her cage. She eventually climbed onto the perches and began exploring her cage. She seemed pretty calm, so on day 3 we started Lisa's steps. She accepted our hand in her cage pretty much immediately. But then something unforeseen happened that greatly accelerated her training: my daughter was working with her and had her cage door open while my son asked me to play this video so he could hear budgie noises, because ours had been pretty quiet up to that point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVrZ7P4QfcE

I would excercise caution playing this around your birds; they'll go crazy--it almost borders on torture.

PJ, upon hearing this, started chirping like crazy and fluttering around. She jumped out of her cage (her wings are clipped) next to my daughter looking around for the mystery bird. My daughter was able to pick her up and spent the next hour or so holding her and talking soothingly while she climbed on her shoulder and head and perched on her finger. We put her back in her cage and later when my daughter went to continue with the steps, the bird immediately steped onto my daughter's hand when she put it near her. It took a couple more days before she'd step up for me, but my hands are much bigger and intimidating than my daughter's who is only seven.

I wouldn't recommend this training "method" though, because I think one could end up with a neurotic, freaked out bird too easily.

Re: Meet PJ... [Re: JenniAnne] #211960 09/02/07 11:58 AM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
PJ is a cutie name for a sweety bird. grin
And yes it doesn't matter [color:#3366FF]boy or girl, he/she probably knows and is not telling!!! [/color] whistle

Re: Meet PJ... [Re: Coco's Mama] #211994 09/02/07 04:08 PM
*6 budgie nutz* Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
its definatly a girl. 100%

TEEKA R.I.P 6-1-07 R.i.p meeko 8-20-2010
allaboutkeets.cabanova.com
Re: Meet PJ... [Re: *6 budgie nutz*] #212148 09/03/07 03:15 AM
L
LoRaXspeek4keets Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
L
oh...oh my god! CUTENESS!!!! laugh

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!! <3 <3 <3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site