Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
my budgie trusts my hand, or not? #205611 08/09/07 04:44 PM
J
jc_9330 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I've been handtraining my budgie KIKO usin lisa's method. I am on the second step and he seems to be jumping on the perch on command pretty well but when i put my hand in the cage and i get close to him he walks away as if scared. i am really confused, is he scared of mwe or not.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: jc_9330] #205614 08/09/07 04:49 PM
L
LoRaXspeek4keets Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
L
he probably doesn't trust you completely yet--it's normal. i wouldn't worry--just be patient smile

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: LoRaXspeek4keets] #205622 08/09/07 05:05 PM
J
jc_9330 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
yes but should i go back to the hand trusting or should i keep going with steps?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: jc_9330] #205624 08/09/07 05:07 PM
L
LoRaXspeek4keets Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
L
work on the trust-building for a while longer...you don't want to push your budgie smile

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: LoRaXspeek4keets] #205635 08/09/07 05:32 PM
J
jc_9330 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
thanks.....You were lots of help

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: jc_9330] #205781 08/10/07 01:32 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
i have a question regarding this, my budgies get a bit nervous when i try to touch them with my hand inside the cage however when they come out on their own and sit on the window he steps on finger to reach the spray millet im holding in my other hand, my other keet is more scared and doesnt like to step up alot but she did go up on my finger twice today to eat spray millet and i basically had them both eat spray millet on my hand, now, what do i need to do for them to keep going with me around the room because i can walk a bit away from the window while he is on my finger but i must keep on feeding him the spray millet or else he relizes im going away from the window especially when the other keet is still sitting there, now i tried to walk away with both of them on my finger eatin spray millet also but the more scared keet flew back to the window and so my other keet also. so yea what do i need to do for them to stay on my finger? oh and the way i make my 1 keet that steps up is i push up on his belly and say up, i dont know if he steps because i say up or becausee i gently push on his belly but he steps up, i make him step up FIRST before i let him get the millet to make him understand he needs to step up to eat the millet, thats a good way to make him understand yea?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #205786 08/10/07 01:57 AM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
jc, lamon, u guys have the same problem. lamon, dont try to bribe your keets, try trust and have them do it without tricking them. they might lose trust if they figure out whenever they get on ur hand, u'll trick them. and jc, ur doing really well with the hand training. but u went to step 2 too quickly. step one was to get birdie trust. that means, the bird lets u touch him, pet him, and loves to chew on ur finger all the time. and most importantly, if u wave ur hand all around him, he wont freak out. if u get THERE then u should try step 3. =) i would suggest if u put ur hand in there and they are afraid, just let ur hand just sit in the cage doing nothing for like 5 minutes. i know it sounds really corny, but they get use to it.. and will soon start think of u as family. =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #205831 08/10/07 04:11 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
ok i have a question, what do i do then if not "bribe" ?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #205926 08/10/07 03:57 PM
J
jc_9330 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
thanks, I'll try that.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: jc_9330] #206089 08/10/07 11:46 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
can u please answer my question? what do i do if not make him step and give millet and repeat, how do i make him go onto my finger?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206090 08/10/07 11:47 PM
Fernandez&Lopez Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
while he eats the millet you push on him

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: Fernandez&Lopez] #206106 08/11/07 12:49 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
what do u mean? what i was doing is i hold the millet in 1 hand, and hold it far from him and put my finger in the middle of him and the millet, and push up on his belly and he steps up to eat and i hold him to eat for like 30 secs and put him near some perch and he gets down, is what im doing good or no? how do i make him to allow me to walk around the house without him flying away? i can walk a bit but then he flys back, i know i need to get his trust more but thats my question, how do i get his trust more other than doing the millet thing and talking to him

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206208 08/11/07 03:19 PM
F
Faith says hi Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
Okay, so they know it's safe to stand on your finger. That's a good start.

Since right now you already have them expecting millet when they step on your hand, I wouldn't stop using it. But what I think you need to do is teach them come to you.

Hold your hand near them, or one of them, but don't push on their bellies. That way they only can get the millet if they come to you _voluntarily_, instead of just stepping onto your finger because you push them off balance. There's a big difference between them putting up with you making them step on your finger, and them _choosing_ to do it.

So at first, you hold your finger very close, so they can just step onto it, but not touching them. (Once they'll do that, you start holding it a bit farther, so they have to hop, and eventually fly to you.) It might take a while for them step up onto you without being forced, but don't give up. It will probably go quicker if you don't give them millet at any other time.

And also, whichever one you're holding your hand near, make sure you say his name when you are telling him to step up, so he'll associate his name with you wanting him to come to you.

(The eventual goal is to get them to come when you call, even from across the room. If you always use their names, they won't be confused about whether "step up" means them or not, when your hand isn't right in front of them.)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: Faith says hi] #206283 08/11/07 06:14 PM
Fernandez&Lopez Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
btw do you have 1 or 2 parakeets

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: Fernandez&Lopez] #206295 08/11/07 06:32 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
to lamon: well fernanade's question is a good one. it does depend on how many keets u have. but to do a out of cage training. u should first, take them out, against their will (im sad to say) but make sure they arent that scared. take them to a bathroom (its the safest room) close the door and put downt he toilet seat. then just let him go. he might fly around, but once he settles down pick him up, and he should let you. place him on you shoulder, and if u have long hair like i do (least to ur shoulder) he should be really happy. walk around the bathroom, wash ur hands, sit on the toilet seat.. u get the drift. and if he stays, leave the bathroom and do other stuff. leave him on ur shoulder for maybe 3 or 4 hours (make ur u have a tissue on ur shoulder..) poop piles up. do that, and then tell him how its going =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #206442 08/11/07 10:23 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
ok first of all i have 2 keets, and yes today i made him step up in the cage and i took him out of the cage and put him on top of the cage, he didnt resist or fly back in, then my other keet just flew on his own on the top of the cage too, now today i tried making them step WITHOUT millet and it worked very well too, im afraid for 1 keet tho, my other keet just does not want to step, what should i do regarding that? he gets used to me more and more, he sat on my hand 2 times today when he say that the keet that interacts with me more was sitting on my finger, he will step on a wooden perch tho, thats how i get them back in the cage because when they are walking on top of their cage they dont want to step up or anything like that, now, i thought i need to say " UP" when i want him to step up, not his name. should i say his name? when do i say "up" and btw, i did another thing today, i made him step on my finger with a little force, then he was on my finger, i raised my finger higher and then i placed my other hand's index finger near his belly, i DID NOT touch him, i just said up and he put his leg up and stepped on my other finger without force! i tried again and he did it again, now regarding the bathroom, i never got them into the bathroom, should i get him into the bathroom? btw they love takin a bath, i have a small bath with a mirror and they both take a bath in it, oh and how should i take him to the bathroom by itself? im afraid he will fly back when he sees hes the only one im taking(and leaving the other keet in the cage)

Last edited by lamonsas; 08/11/07 10:27 PM.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206443 08/11/07 10:30 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
wow ur doing such a good job. try taking both to the bathroom? if not, hold him in ur hands

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #206447 08/11/07 10:53 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
i really dont want to catch him and hold because ppl here on the forum told me it makes them loose my trust, i dont want to do that now do i, and why exactly should i take them to the bathroom? so they sit on my shoulder? why would they sit on my shoulder in the bathroom and not in the living room? i mean whats the difference? and should i call him by his name when i want him to step up or just say "UP", and how do i make him learn his name?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206452 08/11/07 11:05 PM
Fernandez&Lopez Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
only grab them in danger

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: Fernandez&Lopez] #206454 08/11/07 11:06 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
what do u mean only grab them in danger? i ment grabing/holding to take him to the bathroom and can you please answer the question i asked in the above post?

Last edited by lamonsas; 08/11/07 11:07 PM.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206456 08/11/07 11:08 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
well the easiest way to make them learn their name is if u say it all the time to them.. for example if his name was koi, every morning say to him sup koi! and every time u pass his cage go yo koi! and whenever ur playing with him say hey koi, sit on my finger koi, good koi, good boy. and stuff like that. i really dont do it, because it makes me feel silly, so my keets dont know their name lol. and when u say up, say, up koi!

about the shoulder thing, if they dont stay on ur shoulder, try ur head. long as u have hair, its good. keets, like all parrot family, they love hair, it calms them down. thats how the pet store workers train their cocktails. she told me.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #206483 08/11/07 11:42 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
thx for the info melissa wink can you tell me whats the reason i should take them to the bathroom tho?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206484 08/11/07 11:47 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
well. its the safest place to train them outside the cage. if they fly around, u cant loose them nor can they get hurt.. (fans, sharp objects, ect) and also, they dont have high places to sit, and u can also teach them how to like water =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #206487 08/11/07 11:57 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
good idea, im gonna try to work on teachin him his name by saying "Up chuckie" when i want him to step up, that should give him an idea his name is chuckie right? oh and regarding my other keet, what should i do to make her understand im safe, because obviously 1 of my keets knows it already, well is starting to know however my other keet is more catious i guess, and just so i know, what should i usualy do when he steps up on my finger outside of the cage? he'll keep on sitting btw, sometimes he wants to go down but most of the time he stays sitting on my finger, what i tried to do is raise him to my face and he like looks at my face lol, i also feed him while he is sitting on my finger, and once again, i can walk around a bit but if its too much he'll be like whoa and fly to where my other keet is laugh

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206492 08/12/07 12:36 AM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
congrats on that. but u said ur other keet doesnt trust u? if he doesnt, to wat point does he trust u? does he let u touch him? if the other keet is distracting ur bonding moments, let the tame on sit somewhere in ur house.. like on ur bed or something, then try to bond when he's alone. if he's older than the other one, it might take longer to bond, and u'll need to go really slow with the bonding with him. spend up to 5 times a day with him and 15 minutes each time. give him a treat ONLY when he gets further in trusting u.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #206495 08/12/07 12:56 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
i see, no he does not let me touch him, i dont think he is really distracting anything. he is a little older than the keet that interacts with me because it doesnt have ALOT of lines on his head, i heared that tells if a keet is young or older.. and by you saying "spend time", what should i do? i mean in the cage when i try to get near him he gets away , also outside the cage, it tries to get away, they get more calm and calm however still not what i desire at all and nothing like what my other keet does(step up ..), i did not see he didnt have alot of lines on his head in the store when i bought it, did i actually do a mistake? because i think 99% that he is older than the keet that interacts with my because the keet that interacts with me has his whole head and neck full of lines however the keet that resists and gets away all the time doesnt have as much, anyway thats what i have i guess, how should i make it more tame? oh and i should ONLY give both of them spray millet when they get better with something? i shouldnt feed them millet like when they sit on the window just for fun and so they trust me more because i feed them or that doesnt help with anything?

Last edited by lamonsas; 08/12/07 01:01 AM.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206612 08/12/07 06:01 AM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
well i dont think the age has any effect. both my keets have very few lines.. which are all really faded, and both of them are nice.. but the older one, still is considering me. it seems like ur keet might have been mistreated earlier on in his life, so he might be a little shaky, but its all right. and wat i mean about spending time is to like, first try to touch his beak. try to get him to chew on ur finger. if he's use to ur finger. try to pet his belly very softly. u said he runs away from ur hand, well if he runs away, dont move ur hand. if he sees ur not moving, he'll calm down and give u a chance. if he gets off of the cage bars, and sits somewhere, very slowly start to advance. if he runs away, back off, and if he lands again on a perch, slowly advance again. the bird wont eat from ur hand until its use to chewing on ur finger. and will never sit on ur finger, if he doesnt trust u enough to eat from. read lisa's guide about toys. put up an almond string toy. if the keet sees u do it.. it'll trust u better.

=) i hope that helps!

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #206682 08/12/07 02:48 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
btw they both eat from my hand, like if i put 1 single seed of millet on my finger and put it near their beak he will eat it, but what u say is i should try to touch it's beak and let it chew on my finger? ill do that, and for now skip on the bathroom traiing? btw all this what u just told me is done INSIDE the cage or i can take them outisde? cuz they love coming out

Last edited by lamonsas; 08/12/07 02:50 PM.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206776 08/12/07 08:02 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
ok i tried taking them to the bathroom today anyway, i did it by getting them both on a perch and giving them lettuce to eat and while they were eating i took them to the bathroom, now they were sitting right away on the bar of the shower's curtain, i got the keet that interacts(chucky) to step up a few times but if i tried to bring him down to the sink he would fly right back up, i tried with the water running, without the water running but he wouldnt want to get into the sink, so i just put them back on their cage, i guess ill just let them shower with the small bathtube with a mirror that i have

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #207161 08/13/07 11:33 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
wow good job! ur keets sound to be in a pretty good shape. keep doing stuff like that everyday, ur keets will love u in no time. make sure you spend alot of time with both so they will have a bond with u.. like a member of the flock. omgsh guess wat? today my mom's friend came over and brought her two parakeets for me to play with, and since the cage is pretty big, i put both of my keets in there. her keets arent tamed, cuz she hasnt tamed them yet. so when i was hand feeding my keets like i alwawys do, the cute one, that has been with my mom's friend for 8 years started eating from my hand! and he wasnt tamed at all.. lol neways.. gj on ur training! if you need anymore advice on anything, just email me instead at i_will_neva_tell@yahoo.com =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #207273 08/14/07 05:23 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
ok cool, btw i bough them a play gym today, it has a bell, ladder, swing and a rope and like a small crysal tied inbetween the rope, it was 20$, i put 1 of my keets ontop of the cage(thats where i placed the play gym) and he was looking around but didnt touch the play gym, he didnt touch it because its new? and im trying all i can with my other keet, it is still a bit affraid but its getting better, and tell me, how do u hand feed your keets? just hold the food near their beak until they start eating? and you said your mom's friend brought her 2 keets to your house and you put them inside your cage where YOUR keets are? they didnt start fighting or anything? i am considering buy a 3rd keet, a blue one, i really want a blue one, i already have a male and a female right now, a male would be the best to buy right? and i have a questin, if i do get a third keet, is that gonna affect my training procedure? i mean the keet that steps up for me and all, is he gonna keep on working so nicely or once i get the 3rd keet it will all change? i plan on putting the new blue keet in a sperate cage for like 24 hours so they get to know him and only then i will put him in the cage with my 2 current keets, tell me what you think

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #207383 08/14/07 07:29 PM
S
Sunittles Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
Wow, cool! smile
He's probably scared.

Yep, that's what you do to hand feed them. You HAVE to get a positive male or else the females may fight to DEATH over the male.

My Flock -

Sunny 9/24/06
Skittles 3/27/07

RIP Snow 3/22/07 - 3/27/07
Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: Sunittles] #207447 08/14/07 11:52 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
whats "positive" male? btw i just gave them brocoli, i need to give it fresh yea? i mean i dont need to boil it or anything yea? btw i want to make sure, 1 of my keet's cere is like purple but i dont see a mix of "blue" there and my other keet's cere is white/pink, i have a male and a female right? maybe my male's cere is not blue yet because he is young?

Last edited by lamonsas; 08/15/07 12:01 AM.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #207684 08/15/07 07:28 PM
S
Sunittles Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
Not "positive" like that lol. Just you have to be really sure he's a male since sometimes ceres change especially if they're young.
Well you can give it fresh, wet, dry, boiled, or basically anything else! smile

My Flock -

Sunny 9/24/06
Skittles 3/27/07

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: Sunittles] #207771 08/15/07 10:28 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
oh cool man, boy i was in the pet store again today and i really cant see any keets with a blue cere, well some have like purple cere and some more pink/white one, its really hard to tell

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #207846 08/16/07 03:37 AM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
actually it shouldnt be too hard.. anything with a blue/purple look is a guy, and anything with a girly pink or brown look is a girl! =) and about hand feeding, its easy, i hold the food in between two fingers, like a spoon, and feed them. they love the royal treatment so much, they like that better then going all the way down to the bottom of the cage to fight over the bowl of food. lazy keets.. yup, just like me =) the key think is, u have to let the keet see the food in ur hand before u try to feed him. just hold it in front of him (like 3 inches away.) and if he stays, slowly approach, and see if he eats! make sure u feed him anything he likes, if u give him stuff he hates, he isnt gonna look forward to ur feedings. my keets love the small white seeds.. (i think u call them millets? i dont know i got a mix seed pack) they dont eat any of the hard brown seeds, they are for parrots. dont try to feed them that, and if u have large black seeds, yes they eat it, but not from your hand! stick to small soft seeds in hand feeding. treats are strongly preferred! i would feed them treats.. but i dont have any right now. and if only one of ur keets eat from u, and the other doesnt, ignore the other one, and give the one that does like u full attention. the other will get jealous and want some food too! =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #207851 08/16/07 03:57 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
yea i noticed the jelousy case, i was always having only 1 of my keets step up but these past 2 days when that same keet steps up, his name is chucky btw, the other keet looks also and suddenly jumps on my hand too!, and shes not too afraid of my hand anymore, btw mellisa, do you change your seed cup everyday or every 2 days? i put like 5 teaspoons of seeds in the cup and leave it for 2 days, theres some seeds left even after 2 days so thats why i refuse throwing it out everyday, i also have an extra cup that has seeds and i change that also every 2days

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #207862 08/16/07 04:51 AM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
it can take weeks or months or even over a year to train a keet.when you can place your hand in the cage and say up and your keet jumps on your finger and you them him out of the cage and let him fly around and then call him by name and he answers you and you command him to come back to you and he does then a keet is totally trained.it is adviceable not to place a new keet in the cage until aleast 25 to 30 days;the reason being if the new keet is ill it wouldn't spread the sickness to the keets you already have and you can train it better if it's by itself.

when you wish upon a star,you pray you wish comes true.
Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: big bad momma] #208020 08/16/07 11:36 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
yea good idea, big bad, i have a question, my keets like coming out, they come out themselves and 1 of my keets also lets me take him out of the cage while he sits on my finger however i dont know how to like tell them to come back when i want them back in the cage when i need to go or something so what i do is i take a wood stick and they get on it and i start walking to the cage, sometimes they fly back to their playpan which is near the window and sometimes they stay on and let me put them back in, how do i make them understand so when i say "chucky" , he will know im talking to him and come out or vice versa(when hes out and i call him to put him back in)? my 2 keets are really starting to trust me alot, they get on my hand and stay on it, 1 of my keets is doing good with step up and i DO NOT push on his belly anymore to make him step, i just place the finger near his belly and he puts his legs by himself btw for your information i had my keets for a little less than 4 weeks

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #208191 08/17/07 01:08 PM
F
Faith says hi Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
It sounds like you're doing a really good job. Keep it up!

It can take a while for them to learn that you want them to respond to their names. Just keep using their names, especially when you're talking to just one of the keets, and they will eventually learn. It takes patience; that's all.

With the one who is willing to step up without you touching him (yay!), you could try moving on to holding your finger a little farther away, so he would have to hop and not just step. That will start him mentally on the path of coming to you when you call "Chucky, step up!" Once he'll do that you can keep moving farther away, gradually, and he should still know you want him to come perch on your finger, even if your hand isn't immediately in front of him.

Let the second bird go at his own pace, the way you've been doing, but don't let his caution keep you from trying to get the younger bird to progress in training. Remember they are flock birds, and the more the first one trusts you and comes to you, the easier it becomes for the other to start trusting you, too.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: Faith says hi] #208193 08/17/07 01:20 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
yes i noticed that alot, the other keet got jelous, i can actually see it laugh and thats why it now also goes on my hand and all. and i was surprised too but when chucky got down from the playgym yesterday and got down on the table near i went to him however i did not get my finger near to his belly, i was on my way to moving my finger to his belly(not touch of course ) but get close to his belly so he steps up but half way to his belly i say up chucky and he hoped from where i was standing to my finger, it was really cute and incredible, i will surely keep on working on this. btw yesterday they went back in the cage in 1st try which i of course liked laugh

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #208204 08/17/07 01:51 PM
F
Faith says hi Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
That's great!

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: Faith says hi] #208305 08/17/07 08:55 PM
S
Sunittles Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
Cool! smile

My Flock -

Sunny 9/24/06
Skittles 3/27/07

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: Sunittles] #208344 08/18/07 01:02 AM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
sounds like your having loads of fun with your babies! and about the food thing, refill half in the morning, (if u have 2, and if u have one fill it 1/4) and in the evening, empty it, and fill it to that amount! keets love fresh food! dont ever let it get full, then how can they eat the food in the bottom? it all goes to waste. and let them out to play at least 4 times a day for about 30 minutes to 2 hours.. and keep an eye on them the whole time

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #208347 08/18/07 01:23 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
4 times a day? well what i been doing is i take them out when i have time and theyll be out like 4 hours and then i put them back in, they would always come out if the door was open in the morning or afternoon, tthey love coming out because i give them a bath few times with a small bath with a mirror and they love it and they play on their playgym, yea its really fun, they also eat from my hand! even the keet that was scared of me, now its so much better, he hops on my hand and all, its great, i just put some seeds in the middle of my hand, put it near my keet and he hops on my finger HIMSELF, i DO NOT touch him at all wink and he eats, i do this with both hands so both of my keets have a hand to eat from, i jus give them a bit tho, not too much, i have a little problem with getting them back in the cage, is there a way to like make them come back when i ring a bell in the cage? cuz there is a really cool and load bell in the cage and if i ring it they hear it of course, btw i have a question, when i let them out they like sitting on the bars of the window and go from there to either the playgym or the window bars, they like to go back and forth from the windows bars to the playgym in other words, and i have a question, the window bars are not 100% clean you know because obviously its a window and they like chewing on the bars and playing with the bars , because they also look out of the window when they are on the bars, its not dengerous they are hanging on there yea? i mean i can close the window when i let them out and then they wont be able to go on the bars anymore but then they wont be able to look out of the window either, well tthey can but from the window glass, if i close the window theyll be sitting on the playgym, i dont think its dengerous letting them be on the bars, i mean my only concern is that the window bars are not the cleanest and that they like to chew on it and all, theres no bugs or anything of that kind of course but theres some dust here in there because its a window..

Last edited by lamonsas; 08/18/07 01:30 AM.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #208490 08/18/07 05:55 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
well thats ok if u cant let them out 4 times a day... sometimes i let them out once for a long time. ur doing a good job if u're letting them out for about 4 hours.. bravo! lol and btw, the more you get them out, the more healthy they will be. just like if u do excersize instead of sitting all the time. =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #208498 08/18/07 06:27 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
awesome wink btw i am going in an hour or 2 to get the rope perch!! i will change the main plastic perch with the rope one(the perch they like to sleep on) well sometimes they sleep on the swing too but yea, i have a question, i just called the store and asked if they have hamster wheels and they do, they have a few actually but the one that can be attached to any cage is $8.99, and i heared you guys saying that keets love hamster wheels, btw that hamster wheel that im talking about is a decent size so the keet will fit in perfectly and have some space too of course but the guy in the store told me i could have some accidents and i asked what kind of accidents and he said that the keet's wing could get caught up in the wheel and stuff like that, could that really happen?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #208502 08/18/07 06:36 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
yes it could.. and i think u should put the wheel in the playpin, so whenever ur keet does it on it, u can supervize! lol by the way, try to get a nest for your keet as well if u dont have one, every bird loves them, sooo much.. and my keet told me that when he used my head of hair as his nest! (he still does.. i cant get him to get out! lol =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #208504 08/18/07 06:48 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
what do u mean nest? whats a nest exactly? whats the point of it? and you are right, i could get the hamster wheel and put it in the playgym so when they come out they can play!!

Last edited by lamonsas; 08/18/07 06:57 PM.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #208509 08/18/07 07:12 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
well in the wild, every bird has a nest.. birds usually dont sleep on their feet.. that can get really tiring.. they have a nest that is made of pinstraw and stuff. but if u have a pet bird, they'd want a nest too! not of pine straws.. but of something stronger. and u can ask the pet store people about having a nest in your cage.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #208518 08/18/07 07:48 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Usually you only want a nest for breeding. In the wild birds sleep perched on branches, they only make a nest when laying eggs and rearing young

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: Cetan] #208521 08/18/07 07:54 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
lol not my keet.. he likes to be cuddled when sleeping =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #208522 08/18/07 07:55 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
by the way.. when i said nest. i meant something like a house! =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #208545 08/18/07 10:19 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
but i heared that a nest encoureges them to breed, which im not sure i want because i dont know what steps to take and stuff you know, and im preety sure i have 1 male and 1 female because 1's cere is purple and the othere's is like white/pink, oh btw i want to report on my progress, they now eat from my hand! both of my keets, what i do is i place some seed in the center of my hand and put my hand near chucky or my female keet and they hop on and start eating freely, not scared or anything, i do this with both of my hands of course, 1 for each keet laugh when 1 finishes he tries to go to my other hand when theres some seeds left LOL, hungry boy smile lol

they let me feed them like this both in the cage and outside the cage, they also like hoping to my finger from some distance too, like i dont have tto put my finger near their belly's , wink

Last edited by lamonsas; 08/19/07 02:23 AM.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #208998 08/20/07 11:28 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
congrats! btw, if u have one male and one female, just ignore wat i said.. i have two males.. so it's cute.. breeding is really something u dont wanna do.. its worse than work.. its HARD work.. something i dont like lol guess wat? i taught both of my keets to kiss me! they kiss me on the lips too! its nothing like wat ur probably thinking .. its just cute.. its more keet love =) and i can get them to fly back to me.. and now, they dont even wanna get off.. (which is so annoying.. ) im trying to teach them to like baths.. so far.. i got nothing, they run away from the sink when they hear the water turn on lol

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #209052 08/21/07 03:35 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
well i give mine a shower using a small bath with a mirror, They LOVE IT! mellisa can you please teach me, how do i teach them to come to me when i call them? thats the most thing i want from my keets and how did you teach them to kiss you?

Last edited by lamonsas; 08/21/07 03:40 AM.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #209058 08/21/07 03:58 AM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
wow, i wish u can teach me how to get them to love baths! they are so smart.. they know exactly when im going to give them one.. (how do they get so smart?)
about kissing, i just first only kissed them on their head or stomach or their wings first, and i did it all the time. when they didnt mind, i kissed them on their beak, and they got so use to it, they try to do the same thing.. btw, if they close their eyes, that means they like it.. =) now all i do is be like a centimeter away from kissing their beak, and they kiss me =) i like to scratch them, so they get use to that.. but i just have them getting use to the idea of me scratching them, they dont like it yet. and u asked me how do i get my keet to fly back to me? its not easy, and they still dont do it that well. its just that they love hair.. and since im a girl, i have alot of it on my head. when im in the bathroom, the best place for them to sit without being uncomfortable is on me, so when i let them fly around, they realize, im a safe spot. when they get use to that idea, they will fly back to me whenever i sent them off, just so they can cushion up in my hair. =) its so cute..

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #209062 08/21/07 04:30 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
they love my hair too , they like chewing on it, im a boy tho but yea they like being on my hair however i am unsure to make it so when i stand in some place in the room and they are sittong on the window for example and i call them, then they will come to my hand, it must be possible, but what is the 1 specific thing i need to focus on to achieve that? btw ill try kissing, do you say anything when you kiss them btw? like after they kiss you or before you kiss them?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #209064 08/21/07 05:11 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
do you know how to teach the keets to give paws? like in this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lEjNDgoXgbE&mode=related&search=

that would be so awesome, and how did she get them to come when she waves her finger

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #209191 08/21/07 09:50 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
my keets can do everything except that picking the block up and handing it to me.. now thats unbelievable.. im still trying to teach them to fly to and from my finger. its really hard. =) and when i kiss them. i make this kissing sound. they like it and most importantly, they know ur about to kiss them.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #209193 08/21/07 09:52 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
and well yes, focus on one thing at a time. but 2 or three different things is ok too. like teach them how to eat from ur fingers and how to like baths in the same day, and do it again the next day. that video was wonderful, shows how smart keets are =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #209194 08/21/07 09:57 PM
junior Offline
Regular
Regular
wat video i am new maby u can post it

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: junior] #209198 08/21/07 10:06 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
well look at lamonsas's last post, theres a link click on it

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #209199 08/21/07 10:06 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: junior] #209200 08/21/07 10:06 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
i posted the link in the previous page, heres the link again anyway:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lEjNDgoXgbE&mode=related&search=

mellisa, how do you teach them to give paw?? i really want that one

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #209203 08/21/07 10:13 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
what do u mean about give paw? like treats? i dont get it =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #209204 08/21/07 10:16 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
lol, in the video i just gave a link to u see the keets like waving their leg and then the lady gives them a treat, its like they are requesting a treat by like waving their leg , your keets do that?? its in the video

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #209210 08/21/07 10:28 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
lol thats when the person touched their foot. my keet does the same thing. and its not requesting treats. my love treats any time, any place. =) the person just touched his foot, so he'd lift it, and when he did, it looks so cute. and yeah, i can do the same thing, =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #209213 08/21/07 10:31 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
so you just touch their feet with the finger? but no the lady in the vid doesnt touch their foot, she waves her pinky finger and they bring the leg up and then she gives them a treat, how do you teach them that?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #209218 08/21/07 10:44 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
oh that thing, lol. my bad, i thought u were talking about something else... i cant do that. but i can make them have my whole end of my finger in their mouth. they suck on it like a Popsicle. =) whenever i can get a video camera, i'll show u =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #209221 08/21/07 10:47 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
HOLY MOLY LOL they suck on it?? lollll

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #209237 08/21/07 11:27 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
yep.. its so cute.. and when i give the older one exercise, he starts panting.. really, his beak opens and closes.. like a dog without the tongue thing. its so cute. i dont know y people dont like the older ones.. they are totally hard to train, but they are much more loving than the younger ones when they are. and its better to buy the older ones, they need a chance to be loved =) poor birds, lived most of their lives in a pet store.. =(

by the way, i bought both of my keets when they were old.. i like the younger ones better, but i feel sorry for the older ones.. besides, they are just as cute =)

Last edited by melissa-; 08/21/07 11:28 PM.
Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #209290 08/22/07 01:13 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
""and when i give the older one exercise" , what do you mean by give them excersice? what kind of excersice do you give them?

Last edited by lamonsas; 08/22/07 03:31 AM.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #209456 08/22/07 07:30 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
well, i take them to the bathroom, and send them flying around. thats exercise for them. n i also let them loose in my house. so they can.. just move more. but usually they just sit in one spot. i try to make them more active =) lolz

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #210092 08/25/07 12:11 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
yea i know, btw my flew by mistake to my room today LOL and i was working with him alone and he is hoping to my finger and trusting me, man it does make a big difference when they are away from each other, theres no way he would of LISTEN to me, not stepped, if he was with my other keet

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #213044 09/08/07 02:21 AM
K
KoKo Offline
Friend
Friend
K
I think that is what Melissa was trying to say is that you cannot make them go onto your finger. you have to win their trust first, by putting your hand in the cage for five minutes and talk to them with a gentle voice.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: KoKo] #213091 09/08/07 05:03 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
this is an old post of mine lol i got my 2 keets trained very well already, they come to me and all that stuff. its all good lol.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #213102 09/08/07 11:52 AM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
all I can say is wow,I remember when you guys first joined the forum.most of you have come a long way.congrats on the training.I can't remember the post but somewhere wayback in the spring someone was advising people not to let keets kiss direcly on the mouth they gave the reason but I can't remember it but I was logical.it had something to do with the health of a keet,so beware ew don't want to cause any sickness.whn I take my babies back to the vet i'm going to ask them.if someone goes before me please find out we don't want to do anything tha might harm our keets in the long run .hay lamonsas special congrats to you when you first came to the forum you had lots of questions concerning you keets.now you can be of help to others.that's how it works.we work together for the better are of our budgies.melissa is doing a great job too.i'm so pleased with the both of you.pass on what yu have learned to the newbie coming on the forum.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: big bad momma] #213119 09/08/07 02:18 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I'm pretty sure the reason to not have then kiss on the mouth is that human saliva can be harmful to keets, lots of bacteria that they're not used to and it can make them sick.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: Cetan] #213165 09/08/07 06:25 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
mmm good point. i dont let saliva get on mine, its just the dry kinda kiss. i guess thats not too bad

by the way big bad mama, who were u referring to when u said "you two"?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #213199 09/08/07 10:53 PM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
if your referring to the congrats it was to you and lamonsas;also about passing on what you have learned to the newbies coming on to the forum.you have to show lots of patience,because some can work on your last nerve;but you have to remain chilled

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: big bad momma] #213289 09/09/07 07:17 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
lol some keets can reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly drive u crazy, i mean they JUST WONT coaporate with you. smile man its crazy lol but yea my keets really like me, they want me to take them out daily, they even climb the cage so i can take em out when they see me, they take bath everyday, play around like crazy and basically do all that stuff.. hey i actually have a question, i bought this toy in thee store for like 10$, its a chime toy, it makes nice sounds when they metals are moving but my keets dont seem to use it much, they stand on it sometimes and stuff but not use it occasionaly, oh it also has this treat thingie on it, like some candy or something, special for keets, but anyway they dont use it much, should i take it out? but then again i dont have anything to put instead of that, hey big bad momma, in your avatar, you have that green toy there which is like a circle and has beads in the top of it and also has a bell, do the keets play with that? i can buy that toy in the petland near my house, its like 2$ something, should i buy that toy?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #213491 09/10/07 01:43 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
mmmm.. im not sure who ur talking to, but ima butt in anywayz. i think u should keep that toy in there cuz more the merrier. if ur keets dont like it now, give them time. n dont hesitate in buying a toy, if u like it, then ur keet will like it too. but they never like something new right away. smile

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #216492 09/24/07 10:47 PM
L
Lola N Blitz Offline
L
I think it's a good start to get them on your finger using the millet but they shouldn't get so used to stepping up on your finger just because of the millet. Try to keep getting them to step up on your finger with the millet until it becomes second nature to them and then take the millet away. Hopefully they'll realize you just want to be a friend. That's what I think at least.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #217528 09/30/07 07:42 PM
flautist57 Offline
On the same line of question...my bird is fairly new, but he has trusted my hand quickly and seems to enjoy being on my finger outside the cage--that is, until I repositioned his cage from sitting on the kitchen counter to 5 feet away, hanging from the ceiling. Now he doesn't want to get on my finger anymore. Am I back to square one? Does he have to get used to his new spot? Did I stress him out? I'm kind of discouraged, since he was so chummy before--even let me tickle his face with my fingernail, and snuggle him with my nose. Any suggestions for this new standoffish behavior?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: flautist57] #217544 09/30/07 08:52 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Actually a ktichen is not a good place for a keet, they are really sensitive to fumes and things. Teflon pans overheated are toxic and smoking oil is bad also.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
NEW YEARS WISHES
by EVA21SA - 10/15/20 07:51 PM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by EVA21SA - 10/10/20 07:50 AM
nike air max2 light blanche
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:53 AM
nike air max2 light schwarz
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:42 AM
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site