Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206456 08/11/07 11:08 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
well the easiest way to make them learn their name is if u say it all the time to them.. for example if his name was koi, every morning say to him sup koi! and every time u pass his cage go yo koi! and whenever ur playing with him say hey koi, sit on my finger koi, good koi, good boy. and stuff like that. i really dont do it, because it makes me feel silly, so my keets dont know their name lol. and when u say up, say, up koi!

about the shoulder thing, if they dont stay on ur shoulder, try ur head. long as u have hair, its good. keets, like all parrot family, they love hair, it calms them down. thats how the pet store workers train their cocktails. she told me.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #206483 08/11/07 11:42 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
thx for the info melissa wink can you tell me whats the reason i should take them to the bathroom tho?

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206484 08/11/07 11:47 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
well. its the safest place to train them outside the cage. if they fly around, u cant loose them nor can they get hurt.. (fans, sharp objects, ect) and also, they dont have high places to sit, and u can also teach them how to like water =)

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #206487 08/11/07 11:57 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
good idea, im gonna try to work on teachin him his name by saying "Up chuckie" when i want him to step up, that should give him an idea his name is chuckie right? oh and regarding my other keet, what should i do to make her understand im safe, because obviously 1 of my keets knows it already, well is starting to know however my other keet is more catious i guess, and just so i know, what should i usualy do when he steps up on my finger outside of the cage? he'll keep on sitting btw, sometimes he wants to go down but most of the time he stays sitting on my finger, what i tried to do is raise him to my face and he like looks at my face lol, i also feed him while he is sitting on my finger, and once again, i can walk around a bit but if its too much he'll be like whoa and fly to where my other keet is laugh

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206492 08/12/07 12:36 AM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
congrats on that. but u said ur other keet doesnt trust u? if he doesnt, to wat point does he trust u? does he let u touch him? if the other keet is distracting ur bonding moments, let the tame on sit somewhere in ur house.. like on ur bed or something, then try to bond when he's alone. if he's older than the other one, it might take longer to bond, and u'll need to go really slow with the bonding with him. spend up to 5 times a day with him and 15 minutes each time. give him a treat ONLY when he gets further in trusting u.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #206495 08/12/07 12:56 AM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
i see, no he does not let me touch him, i dont think he is really distracting anything. he is a little older than the keet that interacts with me because it doesnt have ALOT of lines on his head, i heared that tells if a keet is young or older.. and by you saying "spend time", what should i do? i mean in the cage when i try to get near him he gets away , also outside the cage, it tries to get away, they get more calm and calm however still not what i desire at all and nothing like what my other keet does(step up ..), i did not see he didnt have alot of lines on his head in the store when i bought it, did i actually do a mistake? because i think 99% that he is older than the keet that interacts with my because the keet that interacts with me has his whole head and neck full of lines however the keet that resists and gets away all the time doesnt have as much, anyway thats what i have i guess, how should i make it more tame? oh and i should ONLY give both of them spray millet when they get better with something? i shouldnt feed them millet like when they sit on the window just for fun and so they trust me more because i feed them or that doesnt help with anything?

Last edited by lamonsas; 08/12/07 01:01 AM.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206612 08/12/07 06:01 AM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
well i dont think the age has any effect. both my keets have very few lines.. which are all really faded, and both of them are nice.. but the older one, still is considering me. it seems like ur keet might have been mistreated earlier on in his life, so he might be a little shaky, but its all right. and wat i mean about spending time is to like, first try to touch his beak. try to get him to chew on ur finger. if he's use to ur finger. try to pet his belly very softly. u said he runs away from ur hand, well if he runs away, dont move ur hand. if he sees ur not moving, he'll calm down and give u a chance. if he gets off of the cage bars, and sits somewhere, very slowly start to advance. if he runs away, back off, and if he lands again on a perch, slowly advance again. the bird wont eat from ur hand until its use to chewing on ur finger. and will never sit on ur finger, if he doesnt trust u enough to eat from. read lisa's guide about toys. put up an almond string toy. if the keet sees u do it.. it'll trust u better.

=) i hope that helps!

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #206682 08/12/07 02:48 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
btw they both eat from my hand, like if i put 1 single seed of millet on my finger and put it near their beak he will eat it, but what u say is i should try to touch it's beak and let it chew on my finger? ill do that, and for now skip on the bathroom traiing? btw all this what u just told me is done INSIDE the cage or i can take them outisde? cuz they love coming out

Last edited by lamonsas; 08/12/07 02:50 PM.

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #206776 08/12/07 08:02 PM
lamonsas Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
ok i tried taking them to the bathroom today anyway, i did it by getting them both on a perch and giving them lettuce to eat and while they were eating i took them to the bathroom, now they were sitting right away on the bar of the shower's curtain, i got the keet that interacts(chucky) to step up a few times but if i tried to bring him down to the sink he would fly right back up, i tried with the water running, without the water running but he wouldnt want to get into the sink, so i just put them back on their cage, i guess ill just let them shower with the small bathtube with a mirror that i have

Re: my budgie trusts my hand, or not? [Re: lamonsas] #207161 08/13/07 11:33 PM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
wow good job! ur keets sound to be in a pretty good shape. keep doing stuff like that everyday, ur keets will love u in no time. make sure you spend alot of time with both so they will have a bond with u.. like a member of the flock. omgsh guess wat? today my mom's friend came over and brought her two parakeets for me to play with, and since the cage is pretty big, i put both of my keets in there. her keets arent tamed, cuz she hasnt tamed them yet. so when i was hand feeding my keets like i alwawys do, the cute one, that has been with my mom's friend for 8 years started eating from my hand! and he wasnt tamed at all.. lol neways.. gj on ur training! if you need anymore advice on anything, just email me instead at i_will_neva_tell@yahoo.com =)

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
NEW YEARS WISHES
by EVA21SA - 10/15/20 07:51 PM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by EVA21SA - 10/10/20 07:50 AM
nike air max2 light blanche
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:53 AM
nike air max2 light schwarz
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:42 AM
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site