Print Thread
Mirrors? Bad? #203945 08/03/07 02:32 PM
L
Laurie Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
L
I read somewhere that mirrors can be bad for your budgie's because your parakeet might become obsessed with the other bird in the mirror. Is this true?

Re: Mirrors? Bad? [Re: Laurie] #203959 08/03/07 04:09 PM
B
brittany98 Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
B
yes it is very true. they will soon think that the other bird in the mirror is real and wont like you to hold them ever again. you cant put one in the cage or they'll never want to come out either. the only reason i know this is because tink had a mirror before.

I'm an Airbender, what are you?
Re: Mirrors? Bad? [Re: brittany98] #204112 08/04/07 04:44 AM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
very true it thinks its inter acting with another bird.it make training harder.that why it is said leave mirror out util training period is over,unless you not around alot then he mirrors help to keep the bird from being loney,

when you wish upon a star,you pray you wish comes true.
Re: Mirrors? Bad? [Re: big bad momma] #204117 08/04/07 05:14 AM
nicolo Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
hi--i guess having a mirror would make birds difficult to train. i have two birds who i don't train, and there's two mirrors. they both mess around with them sometimes, but they are not obsessed. they interact more with each other and with the people in the room, or the birds outside or music. maybe some birds have a narcissic complex and need to be physcoanylized! --nicolo

Re: Mirrors? Bad? [Re: nicolo] #204231 08/05/07 12:40 AM
A
Ariasmom Offline
A
Balderdash, my birds always had mirrors and they were both very sociable creatures!

Re: Mirrors? Bad? [Re: Ariasmom] #204309 08/05/07 04:47 AM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
remember like people each bird has it own ways about it what's ok for one might not be ok for the next.the maj. of people who kept mirrors in the cage experience having more problems with training.and by that I mean not only stepping up but obeying other directions.the object being to be able to pick your keet out of the cage and it comes to you and answers you when you call it.

when you wish upon a star,you pray you wish comes true.
Re: Mirrors? Bad? [Re: big bad momma] #204320 08/05/07 05:09 AM
MeLiSSa♥ Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
well yeah they'll like the mirror, but dont be mean and take it away. my birds personally are smarter than that. they try to get to the mirror bird's face, but if they cant, they then know the mirror bird is not there. they just ignore the mirror now. but they have each other. and me most importantly.

u shouldnt worry wat makes a keet harder to train. its no big deal, u should just focus on fact that ur keet is a living thing, is really smart, has feelings, and doesnt like to be lonely like every creature. i personally think everyone should have two keet. it feels like a crime with just one! i dont get it, wats so good about having one keet? yes, its easier to train, but the keet will be really sad and lonely, no matter how much attention u give it, it needs keet love too. =) think about ur baby! smile

Re: Mirrors? Bad? [Re: MeLiSSa♥] #204382 08/05/07 09:32 PM
Pigeon Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
I realy dont like mirrors because of the problems they cause... Your budgie will end up thinking the mirror bird is another budgie as mentioned above and can even become bonded to it. So it will be heartbroken if you have to take the mirror out.
When they think its another budgie, they may also start tryin to feed it as they would with another budgie. Except that its a mirror...so its not very healthy for the to try and feed it...

So realy, mirrors aren't a good idea imo...

Re: Mirrors? Bad? [Re: Pigeon] #205279 08/08/07 06:25 PM
J
judy61 Offline
J
My bird is good with the mirror, but does play with it a lot also. He pecks at it and then chats a lot and bobs up and down and looks at it. I took it away today, what happens next. If I decide on another bird, what and how do I go about it. He is 1 1/2 yrs. old and I got him a few months ago from someone who said they did not want him as the dtr. was paying more attention to the new puppies. He sometimes goes by me, but most of the time goes back and forth on the pirch away from me. He comes by me when I have lettuce or treats. Judy

Otis and Spooky's MOM

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site