LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Watery poop #200636 07/19/07 11:45 PM
misspuss Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm worried about Gun. Yesterday and today his poop has been really watery. I have cut his seed down, has this caused it? I got him last Monday and I started off with 1/2 pellets, 1/2 seed. Well I noticed he was ONLY eating one of the seeds in the seed mix so 2 days ago I cut the portions into 1 part seed, 2 part pellets. Is he just not eating enough? Should I go back to mostly seed? And he always gets (offered anyway) fresh fruit and veggies everyday. He pecks a tiny bit at spinach. Doesn't touch strawberrys, bananas, carrots or broccoli.

misspuss
Re: Watery poop [Re: misspuss] #200643 07/20/07 12:10 AM
Four Keets Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
It could easily be the veggies and fruit you are giving him. Also, I believe you aren't supposed to give a budgie strawberries because of the seeds on the outside. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Never forget:
Leaf - 11/5/07
Louie - 1/25/08
Bill - 4/16/08
Papeete - 4/21/08
Re: Watery poop [Re: misspuss] #200647 07/20/07 12:17 AM
Aussie-n-Budgie Offline
I read it is natural for a bird to do this sometimes. Here is what my handbook says on the subject:

Signs of Illness: Diarrhea; droppings mushy, discolored or mixed with blood.

Possible Cause: Colds; Nutritional deficiency; poisoning, spoiled food; nephritis, liver damage; tumors; infections.

As you can see, it's a pretty broad range of what could be happening. If it becomes consistent though, I would see a vet despite the cost.

It says "short term diarrhea is not necessarily a sign of disease and may signal no more than passing physical discomfort".

The real indicator I would look for is to see if Gun is looking sick. Then I would really take him to the vet.

Hope I helped and hope Gun is alright :|

2 Keets
2 Dogs
2 Bunnies
1 Cat
6 Fish

Bunnies are breeding <3 \:\)
Re: Watery poop [Re: Aussie-n-Budgie] #200648 07/20/07 12:18 AM
Aussie-n-Budgie Offline
Oh, and yes three keets, you are a little wrong. But it's an easy misinterpretation. Most things you read will say that birds first like to bite at the seeds of the strawberries, not they harm them.

:P that's what I read.

2 Keets
2 Dogs
2 Bunnies
1 Cat
6 Fish

Re: Watery poop [Re: Aussie-n-Budgie] #200655 07/20/07 12:39 AM
misspuss Offline OP
OP Offline
He looks ok and he's acting fine. He eats, plays with toys, chirps and wharbles at me. He's also sleeping fine and acts the same. Maybe, "This too shall pass"???? Of course, if it's not better by Monday, I'll take him in. I worry about dehydration and I don't want him to starve!

He's also been "fake" flying. That's when he sits on his perch and flaps his wings as fast as he would if he was to fly. He's not caught or anything, he does this on purpose. Is that a normal thing to do? Just streching or something??

misspuss
Re: Watery poop [Re: misspuss] #200657 07/20/07 12:42 AM
Aussie-n-Budgie Offline
I am not sure if this is medically normal however I have known many birds to do this on occasion.

2 Keets
2 Dogs
2 Bunnies
1 Cat
6 Fish

Re: Watery poop [Re: Aussie-n-Budgie] #200742 07/20/07 01:42 PM
F
Faith says hi Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
Fake flying is common in caged birds. I think they just get fidgety and are stretching and burning off a bit of excess energy. (Mine usually go airborne and hover when they do it, but they're older and probably stronger of wing than Gun is yet.)

Once you have him trained and can safely let him out to fly around a bit, he'll probably do less of the fake flying.

I don't like the sound of the watery poops for more than a day, since it sounds like he's eating mostly pellets and seed. But if it started at the same time he started actually eating some of the spinach, it could be from that. Or if it started when you cut back on seed and offered mostly pellets. Diet change often causes a minor, temporary upset.

But if it's not from the diet change, then yes, you're right to worry. If he's still got watery poops today, a third day, you should try to get him to a vet today. If he's actually sick, Monday could be too long to wait. That would be the sixth day of illness (if he is ill).

You're giving him plenty of fresh, clean water, right?

Oh, and if you're putting vitamin supplements in the water, maybe you should stop, and clean the water dish thoroughly. Those supplements can promote bacteria growth in the water, and a simple once-a-day changing of the water isn't good enough to keep it clean.

You aaked if he's eating enough, but you didn't say how much he's eating, so I don't know. If it's not at least a tablespoon total per day, that's not enough. Mine each usually eat two tablespoons of food in a day, but occasionally eat as little as one or as much as three. Does that help?

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How to write an essay in German
by bethyy - 08/13/22 07:01 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by williamN - 08/06/22 11:23 AM
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by PaulWunsch - 07/28/22 06:06 AM
Tips for DTF printing
by textekprinter - 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site