Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Bin'o'Budgies bird"...really brave after 2 days?? #193225 06/21/07 02:27 AM
Missy_Welden Offline OP
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
This is the first time I have ever had a pet bird. I have had pets before, but I have never had to train them myself. I love animals though. I just got a "bin'o'budgies bird" yesterday. I have had it less then 2 days at this point. It was not from the hand-tame cage. I need to tell a few things about what happened first though.

First off, I made the mistake of letting it out of the carry box and let it roam around the room (keeping a careful eye on it to make sure it didn't do anything it shouldn't). But when I wanted to put it in the cage I had to try to ctah it a few times (I didn't want to hurt it so it took me a few tries of it flying away from me in order to get it into the right position to grab it softly). But when I had it in my hands it bit me so much. I felt like it hated me and like I was the worst owner in the whole entire world.

But now I have gotten it to stand on a perch I am holding (and I know it can see me when I go up to the cage because while it doesn't freak out, it edges away slowly). It only did this once but I moved the perch all around (slowly and I didn't bump it against anything) ad I finally brought it back to it's swing. It occassionally lets me pet it (I petted it before I read the Lisa Shea article on the fact that petting isn't natural and that many birds dislike it (opps).

But my bird seems so brave and is already singing away and lets my hand come near as long as it doesn't make many movements. But is my bird just brave or paralyzed with fear and it can't muster up the courage to run away. I keep cooing at the bird and telling it that it is brave, are my words working LOL. Is it normal non-hand trained bird behaviour.

I know I am paranoid btw :), but better safe then sorry.

Last edited by missywelden; 06/21/07 02:27 AM.

Re: "Bin'o'Budgies bird"...really brave after 2 days?? [Re: Missy_Welden] #193245 06/21/07 03:27 AM
S
Sunittles Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
Well new birds are usually really scared and cooperate because they're nervous.
But in your case, he could just be brave!
My Snow (RIP) and Skittles were fine with perching on my finger the first moment they got home!

Best of luck and welcome to the forums!

My Flock -

Sunny 9/24/06
Skittles 3/27/07

RIP Snow 3/22/07 - 3/27/07
Re: "Bin'o'Budgies bird"...really brave after 2 days?? [Re: Sunittles] #193253 06/21/07 03:41 AM
Noel+Syd+Elliot Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Cool!

Try getting it on your fingers asap like now. Trust me it will step up in the next month on your finger.

Keets are scaared when they first get home. Biting is the only way to deff themselfs. Well they can slap you with there wings. LOL

smile

Noel(Parakeet)- 12/26/06-7/18/10
Sydney(Cockatiel)- 5/12/07
Elliot(TAG)- 6-11-08

Re: "Bin'o'Budgies bird"...really brave after 2 days?? [Re: Noel+Syd+Elliot] #193256 06/21/07 03:47 AM
Stephanie sweet keets Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
They will step on your finger in not time. Just start working on it ASAP.

Re: "Bin'o'Budgies bird"...really brave after 2 days?? [Re: Stephanie sweet keets] #193258 06/21/07 03:49 AM
Noel+Syd+Elliot Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Yep! Dont wait! I made that mistake.

Noel(Parakeet)- 12/26/06-7/18/10
Sydney(Cockatiel)- 5/12/07
Elliot(TAG)- 6-11-08

Re: "Bin'o'Budgies bird"...really brave after 2 days?? [Re: Noel+Syd+Elliot] #193259 06/21/07 03:49 AM
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
welcome to the forum,read lisas forum on hand training it is a step by step guide and will aide you a lot.good luck and again welcome.

when you wish upon a star,you pray you wish comes true.
Re: "Bin'o'Budgies bird"...really brave after 2 days?? [Re: big bad momma] #193283 06/21/07 04:15 AM
Saebjorn Offline
Companion
Companion
Your bird might be a bit nervous and is willing to cooperate in fear of it's life. But hand train her ASAP this is the perfect time. I'm kind of in the same situation as you are but my bird has been with me for about 1 and a half years. It will perch on my finger and all but it still bites and is constantly distraced by other birds in the cage. If you dont have another bird. I would get one. But only if you have enough supplies and stuff. It will keep your bird company, and it will make them much more comfortable.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site