Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Does anyone own an odd # of keets???/ #174300 04/26/07 06:10 PM
budgielicious Offline OP
Great Friend
OP Offline
Great Friend
If so, how do they get along? Is there a clique? Did you purchase them all at one time? If not, how did you get the ones that you had longer to welcome the new one into the clique?

We added a 3rd keet to our group on Saturday. The other 2 don't seem to mind her, but the will not let her in on the action (preening, playing with toys etc...)

I have the cages open so they can come and go as they please. The 2 always do things together and leave the 3rd out. Will they come around and eventually include her?

I feel so bad for her, I don't want her to be lonely, but I don't think I can get away with getting another one. (3 was a stretch!)

Any suggestions?

Have a BLESSED day!

Re: Does anyone own an odd # of keets???/ [Re: budgielicious] #174306 04/26/07 06:59 PM
*6 budgie nutz* Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
the same thing happened to me, i had meeko and teeka and they were bonded, so i bought another because i always wanted a blue one,and meeko and teeka would always leave her out or if she would come around they would peck her, so a couple of days later i purchased another one "male" and another cage and put them together and now they are happy it just seems that all four of them tweet and tweet to each other like they want to be together lol, but also be careful with haveing 2 females and a male because they will fight over the male! if your going to have them in the same cage together i would suggest haveing a equal amount of sexes, 2 females and 2 males, because according to your pic it looks as though pretty bird and diamond are male and female and you say her in your post about the new one, if i were you ide get another male and let the two new ones bond, try putting a peice of millet in the cage maybe it will help them to bond over food, you know all eating at the same time. i really didnt give mine enough time to see if they would bond just the 3 of them because i was afraid of the females fighting so i hurried and bought the other male. anyway i hope some of this helps, good luck!!!!

TEEKA R.I.P 6-1-07 R.i.p meeko 8-20-2010
allaboutkeets.cabanova.com
Re: Does anyone own an odd # of keets???/ [Re: *6 budgie nutz*] #174310 04/26/07 07:20 PM
M
meljo93 Offline
M
I have 7 in a medium sized outdoor aviary, which is quite large actually.(I live in south Florida, and have wind breaks, and heat lamps for winter)I have 3 females and four males. I read that females fight over males, so I have done it this way. I got them all at once except the last male. He came about two weeks later. Except for the normal squabble, they have flocked together nicely. Only one set has paired as I got them very young. I am looking for a female to complete the flock, but since she will be my last..am being very picky.
I would get another male if I were you, and have a common play area if you don't have a large cage. That way they can socialize without feeling cramped or territorial.
Oh, and unless you want to breed, get some marbles to replace the eggs.
I hope this helps. I am sure there are people with more knowledge out there than me.

Re: Does anyone own an odd # of keets???/ [Re: *6 budgie nutz*] #174312 04/26/07 07:21 PM
O
OC Mommy Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
O
Maybe you really have a male in the bunch. I keep reading that sometimes that it is difficult to determine the sex of a keet judging by the cere only and sometimes the only way to know for sure is DNA testing. You may HAVE to get another male...one that is OBVIOUSLY a male with a dark blue cere..Or return the new baby...or keep them separate.

Re: Does anyone own an odd # of keets???/ [Re: OC Mommy] #174322 04/26/07 07:51 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
but dont be too hasty, if they are all female and just being cliquey becaus eht other two hav ekown eachother since before you bought them then adding a male would cause more problems then it owuld help. I would say if you absolutley cant get another then keep her in a cage by herself with plenty of toys and spend the mos ttime with her so its like you're her buddy. She'll prolly get a lot tamer then the other two specifically because they dont want her and you do smile

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Why in 2013 Abercromibie Fitch Jackets So Popular?
by Conrad John - 11/23/21 09:15 PM
What is Sustainable Leeather
by alishanathaniel - 11/21/21 11:21 PM
Assessing Your Local Tire Recycling Market
by allenlu - 11/15/21 08:21 AM
Xanax cod saturday delivery fedex
by Walgreens USA - 10/29/21 09:43 AM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by modafinilxpills - 10/27/21 08:32 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site