Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting [Re: ShamRockStar] #171178 04/18/07 12:26 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Lots of people are depressed they don't go killing people I think that promotesan unhealthy stigma about mental health.

Something else was going on with this guy and then maybe dpression on top or as a by product.

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting [Re: Coco's Mama] #171181 04/18/07 12:44 PM
Fabutam Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Originally Posted by Coco's Mama
Lots of people are depressed they don't go killing people I think that promotes an unhealthy stigma about mental health.

Something else was going on with this guy and then maybe dpression on top or as a by product.

I agree... I have suffered from depression for years and have also been diagnosed with a few personality disorders crazy BUT I noticed the problems and got help and now, after many years of different medications and therapy, I know that the issues are (literally) in my brain and I cannot help it.
It's not `our` fault... as long as you seek help and realise that somethings wrong we can finally get rid of the stigma with mental health (having any mental health issues and not getting help, no matter how small is like trying to walk on a broken leg without a cast forever!)

frown
Thank goodness the gun issue isn't a HUGE thing here in the UK, No... the scummy people much prefer knives here mad... we've had a massive spate of killings in gangs in London recently... Things won't change until we educate our children and get tougher on the people that commit these crimes.. then perhaps we can all live together in some kind of peace grin

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting [Re: Fabutam] #171209 04/18/07 02:24 PM
Tweets Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Unfortunately not all peoples bodies react to depression medication the same! frown I was on prozac for several years and for the first few life was great, but the last few months I was on it, really bizarre thoughts started popping into my head... things I would NEVER consider doing but all the same it was there and I also began having hallucinations. When I spoke with my doctor we decided to increase the dose (after all I had been on the medication for over 5 years) and things got worse so I weaned myself off and presto... no more insane thoughts! Maybe he was one of the people who react poorly to the medication?? Unfortunately, there is never a medication that is 100% great for every single person! I sooo agree with you Fabutam- without help, mental health IS like trying to walk and function with a broken leg.. it just doesn't work! Maybe the answer isn't neccesarily medication but therapy?? Or a combination of the two!! There are LOTS of doctors who are soo swamped with patients that they just throw medication at problems! There IS that stigma that goes with mental health and it is sad because people are suffering because of it! Alot of the time they won't seek help or don't seek all the help that is available because they fear of judgement!

I feel soo bad for all the families having to go through this! I watched a special on Nightline last night and it literally broke my heart to see so many people so devastated! frown For any of you that were affected, I am so sorry for all the losses you have suffered! My prayers are with you! frown

Thanks 3budgies for my AWESOME AVATAR!! \:\)
Tulip adopted 3/05/2007
Tweets RIP
Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting [Re: Tweets] #171278 04/18/07 08:28 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
theoretically it is both. You go one meds so that you can ebtter comprehend the therapy and as the therapy starts to work you come off the meds (I'm a psych major)
This guy was offered help, he didn't want it. He was even hospitalized for a bit, unfortunately people in this country can't be involuntarily commited until after they've committed a crime...

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting [Re: Laurie] #171297 04/18/07 09:08 PM
Stephanie sweet keets Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Originally Posted by Laurie
Have you heard about it? It's horrible! Do you know any victims? frown
Yes I know three people who gotten shot and out of the three people one guy was killed! It is so awful to see blood everywhere from people shirts and clothing!

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting [Re: Stephanie sweet keets] #171342 04/18/07 10:06 PM
Tweets Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Stephanie- I am soo sorry!! That must be horrible!! I can't even begin to comprehend how sad you must be right now!! I am praying for you and all others going through this at this time!
[Linked Image]

Thanks 3budgies for my AWESOME AVATAR!! \:\)
Tulip adopted 3/05/2007
Tweets RIP
Re: Virginia Tech Scool [Re: Tweets] #171349 04/18/07 10:19 PM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Wow, this was right in Stephanie's backyard. No wonder you knew so many people. =(
I pray for the 2 who were shot to heal soon.

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Virginia Tech Scool [Re: Stephen] #171413 04/18/07 11:39 PM
C
Confused Offline
Regular
Regular
C
I'm just glad I stayed home that day. I'm a commuter, I live an hour outside of town. I finally went into Blacksburg today...the media...jeeze.

I didn't directly know anyone. Stephanie, I am so sorry *hugs* Didn't know you were so geographically close to meh and the scene. Hard to believe the Today show has been hosted right where I walk to class every frackin' day.

Re: Virginia Tech Scool [Re: Confused] #171415 04/18/07 11:41 PM
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Wait, do you go to Virginia Tech, Confused?

RIP Jayka, Grayson, and Emmit
Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting [Re: ShamRockStar] #171699 04/19/07 07:08 PM
L
Laurie Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
L
Severe depression is really bad, it can make people do bad things. Really bad things! frown

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by PaulWunsch - 07/28/22 06:06 AM
Tips for DTF printing
by textekprinter - 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Expert NFL Survivor Pool Advice Tips Picks Week 5
by John Short, Jr - 07/18/22 07:13 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site