Page 1 of 2 1 2
! Scaly face 'crisis'...please read, need advice? #169700 04/14/07 07:09 PM
C
Confused Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
C
It's not severe, but I was looking at the pictures located on the website HealthesaurusRex left in one of my posts and...my budgies' ceres have the beginnings of it. According to this, I can treat it with paraffin, i.e. mineral oil in these stages. I'm off to get the mineral oil now, and I gather I'll have to wash the rope and switch out the perches once a week until they clear...though, is there a way I could disinfect the wood so I wouldn't have to dispose of it? The mites only live on the body and not the cage...?

Thanks for any and all help.

Re: ! Scaly face 'crisis'...please read, need advice? [Re: Confused] #169717 04/14/07 07:58 PM
S
Sunittles Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
No, I think the mites live on the cage too.
So I would advise taking the whole cage and turning the hottest water or steam you can in a tub. Mix that with vinegar and soak the cage in it.
That should kill all mites.

My Flock -

Sunny 9/24/06
Skittles 3/27/07

RIP Snow 3/22/07 - 3/27/07
Re: ! Scaly face 'crisis'...please read, need advice? [Re: Sunittles] #169751 04/14/07 09:06 PM
C
Confused Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
C
I gather that works for the wooden perches too? I treated Snow's beak with the mineral oil, but I couldn't do much because he kept biting the q-tip end with the oil on it...I don't want him to get diahrrhea (sp?), so I'm going to get my boyfriend to help me distract him later. I'll do that as a precaution, I don't want my budgies' ceres eaten away!

Right now the bathroom is under construction...the shower sprung a leak and they're trying to fix it. I'm hoping they get done tonight so I can go ahead and soak their cages.

Anyway, Snow's cere already looks ten times better, and I didn't even do a thorough job.

Re: ! Scaly face 'crisis'...please read, need advice? [Re: Confused] #169858 04/15/07 01:58 AM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
yeha because the parrafin or vasolene suffocates the mites smile
sounds like you're doing well
also all the wood needs to be trown out unfortunately, the mites live in the wood.
Make sure you keep an eye on his cage mate smile

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: ! Scaly face 'crisis'...please read, need advice? [Re: ShamRockStar] #169863 04/15/07 02:04 AM
budgielicious Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Originally Posted by HEATHEsaurusREX
yeha because the parrafin or vasolene suffocates the mites smile
sounds like you're doing well
also all the wood needs to be trown out unfortunately, the mites live in the wood.
Make sure you keep an eye on his cage mate smile

HEATHERsaurusREX - could she "bake" the wood to kill the mites
I have done this with pine brances & pine cones (they love to chew on both) out of my yard to kill any hidden bugs. You put it in the oven on 225 for 25 min., then shut oven off, DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR, and leave them in there for 2 hours. I got this tip off of another website for making homemade perches.

Have a BLESSED day!

Re: ! Scaly face 'crisis'...please read, need advice? [Re: budgielicious] #169906 04/15/07 04:46 AM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
i guess so, i dunno, im just saying what i read on websites about scaley face smile
by all means try baking the perches, just keep an eye out for symptoms of scaley face coming back, if it does come back you'll prolly need to replace the perches smirk

smile I hope your birdy feels better soon!

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: ! Scaly face 'crisis'...please read, need advice? [Re: ShamRockStar] #169948 04/15/07 02:03 PM
K
KeetCrazy Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
K
ACKKKKKKKKKKK..........No more scaly face vibes coming your way. So sorry your baby is having trouble with this. Good Luck! You are doing all the right things, so he should be on the mend soon.

Donna

Max,Sweetie,Bubbles,Peep,Rayne,Sully.
Re: ! Scaly face 'crisis'...please read, need advice? [Re: KeetCrazy] #170010 04/15/07 04:30 PM
C
Confused Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
C
Thank you so much everyone!

I will bake the perches as suggested. I also ordered this stuff called SCATT, which is based on moxidectin. Apparently it's non-toxic to the birds, and you just put a drop in between their shoulders and after a few treatments, the mites are gone.

So this in combination with vigilant cage-cleaning should work.

The mineral oil is making a huge difference for Snow! I'm so happy, and they're all being so much more social! AH!!! I thought I was a terrible keet mom! They're all in the floor now playing with each other, even Biskig! Biskig has NEVER been this social!

I'll post pictures in a bit, I've got to upload them.

I know I may seem a little nutty, but budgieboos aren't huge around here.

It's nice to know there are people out there who are as nuts about them as I am.

*squee*

Re: ! Scaly face 'crisis'...please read, need advice? [Re: Confused] #170148 04/15/07 11:03 PM
S
Sunittles Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
*squee*
That made me laugh! laugh
Hehehe.

And everybody here is/are as crazy as you about them!
laugh
Budgieboos are the best. :]

My Flock -

Sunny 9/24/06
Skittles 3/27/07

RIP Snow 3/22/07 - 3/27/07
Re: ! Scaly face 'crisis'...please read, need advice? [Re: Sunittles] #170210 04/16/07 01:10 AM
Tweets Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
SOOO good to hear he is doing better!! Keep us posted!! smile

Thanks 3budgies for my AWESOME AVATAR!! \:\)
Tulip adopted 3/05/2007
Tweets RIP
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How to write an essay in German
by bethyy - 08/13/22 07:01 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by williamN - 08/06/22 11:23 AM
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by PaulWunsch - 07/28/22 06:06 AM
Tips for DTF printing
by textekprinter - 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site