LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
my birds are shivering after there bath do i keep them in a towl or what do i do? #16843 07/19/05 05:51 PM
A
Abby&scitals Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
A
my birds are shivering after there bath do i keep them in a towl or what do i do?

Re: my birds are shivering after there bath do i keep them in a towl or what do i do? #16844 07/19/05 06:08 PM
A
Abby&scitals Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
A
i was trying to encourage them and i started to splash and i got water in there faces,could that kill them?

Re: my birds are shivering after there bath do i keep them in a towl or what do i do? #16845 07/19/05 06:22 PM
atc_jason Offline
Regular
Regular
Water in their face won't kill them. As long as your talking about drips. Now if your dunking their heads in water, which I'm sure your not, that's another story.
Encouragment is okay, but with things like that I usually let my birds explore and find out what they are on their own. I put my keets bathtub near their playgym. They didn't use it for a few days, but after they got used to seeing it, they would begin to explore it. Once they figured out what it was they started using it every day. Maybe get one with a mirror on the bottom, that could speed up the comfort level if they see another "bird" in there.
Keets love water so it shouldn't take them long to like it. But make sure it's luke warm water. If they are shivering maybe the water is too cold, or the room is to cold. Always have a warm area for them to dry off wink

Re: my birds are shivering after there bath do i keep them in a towl or what do i do? #16846 07/19/05 06:23 PM
R
ReggieTheBudgie Offline
Friend
Friend
R
Well if they're taking baths, how could getting water in their faces kill them?

On the question of what to do after their bath, you need to keep them in a warm place until they're dry.

Re: my birds are shivering after there bath do i keep them in a towl or what do i do? #16847 07/19/05 06:25 PM
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Yes it can kill them. A small drop of water getting into the lungs can, because they are SO small. Don't spalsh your birds.. try the sink.. keep it on really, really low, warm water, lay a perch across it, and sit them on the perch with the water going on the middle of it. Cover any mirrors and close the toilet when your in the bathroom. Stay with them the entire time. Dont splash them but you can lay your finger under the water and "direct" the water to flow closer to where they are, but make sure its not spalshing them. Dont force them in the water/water on them if they dont want it. If they are shivering they are way too cold. You need to turn off any AC, Fans, ect, keep them warm. You can hold them gently in a towel but if they want out try putting them in the cage and use a hair dryer on the LOWEST heat setting and dry them that way. Dont hold the hair dryer on them for even a minute, take it off for a few seconds, put it back on them for less than a minute, move it again, ect. You dont want to over heat them. Watch for 'panting', this means they are too hot. Make sure your holding the dryer a little more than arm length away from them. Cover the cage 3/4s. You dont have to completely dry them, just enough to stop the shivering and make them not look like a soaked rat, but dont turn any air/fan on till they are completely dry.

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Your life was short lived but I hope you were very happy.
Re: my birds are shivering after there bath do i keep them in a towl or what do i do? #16848 07/19/05 06:25 PM
Lindzey and the Gang Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Make sure their bath is fairly warm... not hot, but definatly not cold.

Its a zoo!

4 keets, 1 tiel, 2 lovies, 2 roosters, 1 hen, 1 guinea hen, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1 ferret, 3 rabbits, and ... a squirrel??

RIP-Remembering Skittles the 1st!
RIP-Remembering Sour Skittles!
Re: my birds are shivering after there bath do i keep them in a towl or what do i do? #16849 07/19/05 06:28 PM
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Guys, getting water in the face via splashing CAN kill the bird. Because the water is going directly to the face, not "flowing" down the face like it would if the were normally bathing, and they werent ready for it if its being splashed, either.

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Re: my birds are shivering after there bath do i keep them in a towl or what do i do? #16850 07/19/05 06:31 PM
R
ReggieTheBudgie Offline
Friend
Friend
R
I stand corrected, Alyssa. I never knew it was dangerous to spray them with water.
But what about letting them get into the shower with you then? I don't do it with my keets but I remember reading that a number of people do that.

Re: my birds are shivering after there bath do i keep them in a towl or what do i do? #16851 07/19/05 06:32 PM
A
Abby&scitals Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
A
ok thank you ppl for helping my they are not shivering anymore gust sneezing here in there,and preening them selfs.could the sneezing be a sigh of a cold?

Re: my birds are shivering after there bath do i keep them in a towl or what do i do? #16852 07/19/05 06:35 PM
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
You arent splashing you keets though, nora. They're prepared to get wet, and the shower goes straight down, not directly in your face. It's like, say, getting sprayed in the face with a water hose? You'd get water up your nose and mouth if you werent ready for it, and birds lungs are so small that just a drop could make them go into a fit of wheezing and they could possibly die. It's also perfectly ok to spray your keets, but not in the face. If you use a spraybottle, it's recommened that you hold it over them on the mist setting, so it gently falls over them, not spraying them straight on through the cage. Also, did you know you can encourage your bird to bath by running a VACCUM? I found this out yesterday and tried it. Cosmo wanted to bath, he tried to get in the water I put in there! It's weird :p

Also, if you spray your keet with a bottle try running the vaccum. I read that they are somewhat like most dogs and are scared of the "squirt squirt" sound the bottle makes.

Intersting fact, did you know humans could die from a teaspoon of water getting in their lungs?

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Growing my own greens for my birds question
by LA-Birds - 09/24/21 10:17 PM
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site