Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Health Supplements [Re: victor] #191832 06/16/07 01:56 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Are statins the genre of meds that my dad takes since his heart attack? PDM wrote they where thinking of adding it to drinking water? Isn't that dangerous those drugs are affect the heart no?

Can someone clarify???

Re: Health Supplements [Re: Coco's Mama] #191839 06/16/07 02:17 PM
somsuj Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Statins help heart - not affect it adversely - let's say they help in cleaning up blocked vessels in the heart (well actually they prevent them from getting blocked)

Mixing it in water !!

I am not sure how wise that is . . . side-effects are mostly with the liver and muscles.

I certainly will not advocate adding statin to drinking water.

Believe in nothing unless it agrees with your own reason, knowledge & common sense
Be good, do good
Re: Health Supplements [Re: somsuj] #191872 06/16/07 04:19 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
But what if your heart heart has other problems or is fine, would or could it have an adverse affect? I don't think they should just dump stuff like that n the water i don't think they will.

Instead why don't people eat right, it is easier to be proactive then reactive, i may not be the perfect weight for my height or the best eater, i do love french fries but overall I try to eat well. I think it is the people who raise there kids in restaurants that run into later heart issues , or are more likely too.

Re: Health Supplements [Re: Coco's Mama] #191941 06/16/07 07:22 PM
somsuj Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Statins as such do not have any significant adverse effect on the heart per se.

Originally Posted by Coco's Mama
it is easier to be proactive then reactive,

No offence - but it is even easier to expect people to be responsible for themselves - in reality - most are not.

I always shudder to think of that young South Asian secretary who came to the clinic, at an interval of 1 year, accusing us for not following her up, when she missed 6 appointments during that period . . . interestingly, she was a case of multi-drug resistance tuberculosis who did not complete her treatment (she argued that she did not receive any letter asking her to continue on medication after she mised her first appointment and did not ask GP to represcribe her tablets). Alarmingly, she was feeling unwell and loosing weight - she had a recurrence . . . with two kids at home.

We were responsible for not being pro-active - it is only when I went to that medical firm and went through her notes following a missed appointment, alarmed, contacted her GP, she made the appearance. She completely absolved herself of any responsibility - refused to acknowledge that she has been told how serious her disease is - I got very angry and showed her notes - where it was documented that consultant spoke to her and explained how serious her condition is.

She was very upset - and complained against me.

This is about 8 yrs back, now we have a Special nurse in most hospital trusts who keep an eye on patients - so that this never happens again.

Believe in nothing unless it agrees with your own reason, knowledge & common sense
Be good, do good
Re: Health Supplements [Re: somsuj] #191964 06/16/07 10:23 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
That is awful some people want miracles...of course what I said is easier said than done, most things that are good for you are harder.

It's like me and my iron I was told I was amenic ( I don't feel any different) and to take it and I felt sick when I took it so I stopped. But I would never blame my doctor. He tried some different iron supplements and they all gave me problems. He is just a man a really nice smart one but he just does what he can. I don't know what anemia does cause I can't feel it maybe it went away. But he told me what to take I didn't do it that is on me.

I can't believe they complained when they missed 6 appointments that is not right.

Last edited by Coco's Mama; 06/16/07 10:26 PM.
Re: Health Supplements [Re: Coco's Mama] #193897 06/22/07 11:42 PM
T
Tequila Offline
Companion
Companion
T
Creatine (only before workout) and multivitamin.

Re: Health Supplements [Re: Tequila] #193936 06/23/07 01:39 AM
V
victor Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
V
Actually, Creatine has been shown to have some benefit for strength training .. that one has been studied.

Re: Health Supplements [Re: victor] #194582 06/25/07 03:15 PM
T
Tequila Offline
Companion
Companion
T
I used to take before and after workout but I don't want to load up too much. It's also been said that it can cause problems with the kidneys. But it has taken my endurance to a higher level as well as make recovery time much faster. As for Whey, I really don't need it since I take protein from many sources (soy milk/fish/chicken/etc.)

Re: Health Supplements [Re: Tequila] #194611 06/25/07 05:23 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Does anyone know about those protein drinks, I have some I just forgot about it lol. I am not a huge meat eater so I thought i should try it, I didn't really notce anything when i was drinking them except that if they expect peopl to replace a meal with it they are crazy. My particular one isn't for meal replacing and i mixed flax seed and greens+ into it. Do they cause weight gain, I never took it steady enough to see if it would or not?

Re: Health Supplements [Re: Coco's Mama] #194623 06/25/07 06:31 PM
T
Tequila Offline
Companion
Companion
T
I've taken Whey Protein before and made me gain weight. Nothing wrong taking it if you have a fast metabolism and having trouble gaining muscle. But, like any sports-performance supplement, you have to work out and eat right in order to get results.

Last edited by Tequila; 06/25/07 06:31 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Obesity raises Risk of Cancer
by landale - 12/01/22 11:40 AM
winter reminder for our birds
by AllanMajor - 11/27/22 06:25 PM
Mathematics tutor
by knightgael - 11/26/22 06:08 PM
Windows-Sicherheitsp
robleme

by landale - 11/26/22 02:30 PM
Jewelry Watches
by knightgael - 11/25/22 08:33 PM
Jewerly men's watch
by landale - 11/25/22 08:19 PM
How can you feed pigs inexpensively
by textekprinter - 11/25/22 02:17 AM
Help choose a gift for my brother
by knightgael - 11/24/22 01:37 PM
I want to buy a watch
by landale - 11/24/22 01:03 PM
Photo Print Sizes
by RandellHamilton - 11/23/22 04:00 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site