Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
This biting is pushing me to the edge! #165516 04/02/07 06:46 PM
SUPERSTAR Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
I've almost had it! I've had tweetie for a month now, and he still treats me like the first day i got him. I've been more than gentle with him, training him properly, paying more than enough attention to him, and he still is biting! I've also done all i can about his biting too. I never flinch, i never move, and i also put my knuckle to his mouth and let him bite until he tired himself out. but he still insists! we will just be hanging out and he'll be sitting on me, and he will just bite constantly! we're not talking about little strikes...we're talking about holding on and grinding! I'm to the point of just forgetting about taming him and just let him stay in his cage. What am i to do??? I've done EVERYTHING!!! mad I mean, he even pierces the skin and makes me bleed. i have a lump of scar tissue forming on my thumb from the constant piercing at the same spot.

Last edited by SUPERSTAR; 04/02/07 06:51 PM.

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: SUPERSTAR] #165521 04/02/07 07:29 PM
Pigeon Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
If you jerk your hand away or scream, you're just teaching him that his efforts to keep you out of his space are working. Rather than do this, you must ignore the bites (no matter how bad they are). If you can, get him to step up repeatedly, especially if he continues to bite your hands. Keep "laddering" him this way until he stops. When he stops, make a happy fuss and/or give him a treat.

http://budgietalk.com/ (under budgie behavior)

Another way to prevent or decrease territorial behavior is to change the cage every week or so. Rearrange all the perches and toys, rotate in new toys. Not only will this help curb territorial aggression, it will also keep your bird from becoming bored. If your budgie seems possesive over a particular toy, remove this toy and replace it with something else. You can try adding it back in after a week or so has passed but if the aggression starts again you may have to dispose of the toy.

(same as above)

Dont know if that'll help at all =( If he's biting particular spots though, you could try putting a plaster or somethin on that spot till he stops. Just to prevent a bit of pain >_<

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: Pigeon] #165525 04/02/07 07:35 PM
SUPERSTAR Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
the big part tho is i never jerk away when he bites. i make it a point! it just seems hopeless. just a thought....he's an alone bird...do you think he would be friendlier to me if i got a second bird, or will it be worse? my fiancee doesn't want me to get any more birds, but i betcha i could sneak one in!

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: SUPERSTAR] #165533 04/02/07 07:50 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
well he wont like you as much, he'll like to other bird.
I have heard some things on teaching birdies tpo stop biting though.
Here we go... forgive me if I sound like Ceaser Milan (the Dog Whisperer) for a moment but, birds are flock animals. One bird in the flock is the leader. They way this bird becomes the leader is by biting and pecking the other birds into submission. It sounds like tweetie things hes the head bird. He isnt. How do you let him know this?
Well. obviously yelling doesnt work, they think its funny. Hitting them is a big no no, they dont connect it with what they have just done they just see it as you being mean.
there are two things you can do. One is every day when you take tweetie out make him step up (or ladder) about 10 to 15 times. In other words hes sitting on one finger put the other hand in front of him and say up firmly. If he bites you you keep your finger there and press more firmly on his belly and say up again. I would do it again once while hes out and then do it again befor eyou put him away. Eventually when he starts doing it with no complaint try to figure out a way to make it a game to make it more fun because its very much like the atkins diet, if you stop too soon you just gain all that agression back.
Another way of handling it is preemptive startling. The preemptive part is key. You have to see that hes about to bit before he bites and stop it while its still a thought that way (after enough times obviously) instrad of doing it and going oh wait this is bad, he thinks it and goes oh wait this is bad. So, you see his body language change in a way that indicates he's about to bite (you may have to watch him bite a few times to get this but usually they crouch real low and open their mouths) once you see the little glimmer even in his eyes drop your hang a few inches. Not enough to drop him or hurt him (and hopefully not enough for him to bits you just to hang on for dear life) but enough so that he goes 'Geez! What was that?!' it takes his mind off of wanting to bite you for the moment. do it again the next time and the next time and eventually he pairs the unwanted experiance (the hand drop or if hes on your shoulder clapping or doing something else very sudden) to the thought of hey, let me remind her im in charge.
A combination of this and the laddeirng will remind him that you are in fact in charge.
Be very careful not to yell in general but even more careful not to yell his name. You dont want TWEETIE! to be synonymous with BAD BIRD! Dont shake your finger at him. Even though that is startling its also using the very thing you want him to appreciate as a weapon...
I hope that helps smile

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: SUPERSTAR] #165535 04/02/07 07:51 PM
Pigeon Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Well, im not realy that knowledgeable on the subject, new bird owner =) But read lots.. Though read knowledge isnt as good as experience. But from what I know, a second bird might help the problem, but you might lose your bond with Tweetie.

I'd try get him to behave with his biting, just keep at it, he'll pick up on it eventuly =D Having one bird that bonds with you but bite is better then 2 birds that dont bond and might still bite. Twice the bite >_<

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: Pigeon] #165540 04/02/07 08:03 PM
SUPERSTAR Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
thanks guys....heather, i'll try that! the tthing is he steps up very very well! when he is on the floor and can't fly (he's clipped) he will come to me to lift him up, but after he's up tthats when the biting starts. but i'll do more lattering and also that hand drop thing...i never thought of that!!!!

lewis...thanks for the encouragement....it's just so frustrating and need that encouragement. before him i had a keet that loved me and never ever even thought of bitingn....even since the first day i got him he never bit...he only screamed when he felt threatened in the beginning...so this is a whole new ball of wax for me.

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: SUPERSTAR] #165546 04/02/07 08:33 PM
Pigeon Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Aw that sucks =( Im sure if you keep at it your new budgie will become just as friendly =) Just needs alot of patience.

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: Pigeon] #165560 04/02/07 09:21 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
Both of those methods are supposed to be for if he's biting your hand if he's already sitting on it

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: ShamRockStar] #165567 04/02/07 09:26 PM
SUPERSTAR Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Thats exactly my case then heathesaurusrex. he'll be out of his cage and we'd be hanging out and he just reaches down and grabs my skin and chews. its soo annoying!

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: SUPERSTAR] #165645 04/03/07 12:19 AM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I am no expert but Tweetie looks like a girl, and my Coco is too and she bites like she means it. Girl budgies seem way more nippy. My Coco does like 4 step ups and try to take a piece of my finger then continues to step up like nothing happened its very odd.

I am trying to do what everyone is suggesting and it's not really working ..(the ignoring) soon i will take things a little more drastic I spoke to some trainers recently.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
levitation photo challenge
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:40 AM
free will
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:33 AM
Separating Two Parakeets
by Min - 10/28/20 05:51 PM
Please help
by Faeed - 10/27/20 03:23 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site