LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: Sunittles] #165879 04/03/07 07:44 PM
Joephazonx Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
read my topic that I made for this special purpose. I believe many of you already know it.

It's called ANTI-BITE TRAINING PROGRAM.

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: Sunittles] #165939 04/03/07 10:57 PM
V
victor Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
V
raffia is the artsy thing you can get at craft stores that looks sort of like string made out of straw. it comes in different dyed colors but i would get the natural color one. I just hang a few strands in the cage to gnaw on, and you can hang some toys from it too. it is very appealing to keets.

as far as biting - sometimes my keet would get SOOO excited if he was eating brocolli out of my hands that he would start biting the fleshy part of my finger tips really HARD - it killed. But after wobbling him a few times he stopped and I don't think he's done it for at least a year now if not longer.

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: victor] #165959 04/04/07 12:02 AM
S
Sunittles Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
Straw ... Grass ... Same thing! xD

But if you get another one, they don't nessacarily lose your bond. Skittles and Sunny are long-lost lovers, but Sunny hasn't lost his training.
Even though they play, chirp, and bond a lot with each other, it totally depends on the bird if they choose to do the same with you.

My Flock -

Sunny 9/24/06
Skittles 3/27/07

RIP Snow 3/22/07 - 3/27/07
Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: Sunittles] #166033 04/04/07 03:16 AM
SUPERSTAR Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
i'm not terribly worried about losing too much of a bond b/c i constantly have tweetie out and getting used to me....she's located in the living room where i'm always at too, so she gets alot of attention from me. if i got another one, that one would get the exact same treatment...i guess its just building up the confidence to get another one....plus, i really don't know how to introduce another bird.

I might have to get some of that raffia...i think i know hwat your talkign about....she is constantly biting tho, andt he toys she does have are mainly plastic....she does have a cuttle bone and i always give her millet...what about rope toys?

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: SUPERSTAR] #166034 04/04/07 03:23 AM
V
victor Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
V
every keet is different so you will have to experiment with toys. my keet doesn't seem to care much for rope -
but he loves raffia - which you can get at any craft store, - michael, joannes, etc. i know alot of keets like hemp and i do hang a few toys from hemp (also available at craft stores), but my keet doesn't really bother much with it.

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: victor] #166052 04/04/07 05:33 AM
SUPERSTAR Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
i'm really going to have to get sosmething like that b/c she sure has a biting need.
but today i've noticed a huge difference with her biting...i've been givingn her an "unstable pirch" when she sits on my hand and bites and it really payed off!! in just a couple days!!! today i took her out and no biting! when i took her off her play gym she did bite, but basically just to keep my finger steady when she steps up....I'm shocked at how well she's doing!

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: SUPERSTAR] #166058 04/04/07 10:36 AM
Pigeon Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Hey congratz =D Hope she behaves completely soon =) The bite to steady self sounds normal just shouldnt hurt to much :P

Intresting bout the toys, Pigeon loves rope, he was even chewing the string i use to make a draw bridge door to his cage

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: Pigeon] #166059 04/04/07 11:12 AM
LoveMyBoys Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I'm glad this was brought up becasue i just started having the same problem with Peri. He/she is very dominant...although i believe he is a boy. anyway, the past couple of playtimes (I try to hold them on my hand for a while each playtime) he has started to bite/chew on the flesh of my hand. Bleu bites on my fingernails, i think he is curious, but Peri bites on my flesh. I will try these methods. Raffia sounds good. You know the handles on a paper gift bag? alot of times they are raffia, it kind of looks like a paper rope. you can unwrap and use it as a "ribbon" for gifts, etc. I will try some things i read here.

Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: LoveMyBoys] #166089 04/04/07 04:22 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
My birds love beads strung on hemp, just make sure the beads are big enough that they can't swallow them and the knots are tied tightly.
Also as to losing your bond wiht your bird. Nouba and I were very very good friends but I was at work and school a lot (she was always out sitting with me when I was home though, even if i was watching tv she sat on my shoulder or my lap or on the couch next to me) So I got Darcy to keep her company. They get the exact same attntion as before (well not really becaus Nouba's becoming meaner and meaner) And Nouba still got mean. Not right away but after a bit. She's still the tamer of the two, she sits on my hand and my shoulder and doesn't fly away unlike Darcy (who btw never bites, if I could smush them together they'd be the perfect bird) But just so you know, even if you have a good relationship the new bird will influence your bird and most likely in a direction away from you unless you get a hand fed socialized baby from a breeder.

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: This biting is pushing me to the edge! [Re: ShamRockStar] #168370 04/10/07 10:21 PM
E
Eddchen Offline
E
My baby girl used to bite like you describe just after she was handtrained. When she did I just put her down and completely ignored her for a few minutes. The message seemed to get through, because she has stopped biting almost completely now. Or maybe this is just a stage the females go through.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
NEW YEARS WISHES
by EVA21SA - 10/15/20 07:51 PM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by EVA21SA - 10/10/20 07:50 AM
nike air max2 light blanche
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:53 AM
nike air max2 light schwarz
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:42 AM
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site