LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
This is extremely sad but what makes it sadder was that it was true. #156287 02/20/07 04:57 AM
Starchick Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
How Could You?
By Jim Willis, 2001

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a
number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad,"
you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you? -- but then you'd relent and roll me over for a belly rub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that
together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I
believed that life could not be
any more perfect.

We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream
is bad for dogs" you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I
waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad
decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and
obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they
smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my
time banished to another room,
or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked
fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their
touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would've defended them with my life if need
be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound
of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet
and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone
from being "your dog" to
"just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does
not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of
hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and
gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed, "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my
dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and
responsibility, and about
respect for all life.

You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with
you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew
about your upcoming move
months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could
you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my
appetite days ago.

At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind --
that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.
When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I
retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded
along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room.

She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what
was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days.

As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know
that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I
used to comfort you so many years ago.

She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my
body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it
was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to
fend for myself --a place of
love and light so very different from this earthly place.

And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not
directed at her. It was directed at you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait for you
forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.
----------------------------
A Note from the Author:
If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the
composite story of the millions of formerly "owned" pets who die each year in American and Canadian animal
shelters. Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a noncommercial purpose, as long as it is properly attributed
with the copyright notice. Please use it to help educate, on your websites, in newsletters, on animal shelter and vet
office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that
animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your
responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is
precious. Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage all spay and neuter campaigns in order to prevent
unwanted animals

Re: This is extremely sad but what makes it sadder was that it was true. #156288 02/20/07 05:52 AM
fred_and_nikku_luver Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
omg i am crying frown

fred- adoped from petland on 10/20/06
nikku- adopted from gccbc on febuary 16 2007 born may 2006
thx sillybirds for the awesome avatar!
Re: This is extremely sad but what makes it sadder was that it was true. #156289 02/20/07 06:29 AM
LLPB Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
me too, I'm crying.

...reminded me of my doggie... her name is cookie...she had to be put to sleep because she was almost blind and deaf a little...she had a tumor. And it makes me soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad to have her gone, she was my baby. and I had her from when I was like 6 or 7. I love her so much. smile

frown

RIP
Lemon, Lime, Paradise, Blizzard, Oreo, & Vanilla
♥ Always

I LOVE Skittles!
Re: This is extremely sad but what makes it sadder was that it was true. #156290 02/20/07 11:19 AM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Originally posted by Starchick:
How Could You?
By Jim Willis, 2001

A Note from the Author:
... Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a noncommercial purpose, as long as it is properly attributed with the copyright notice. Please use it to help educate, on your websites, ....
Could you please give a reference (web page? Book?)andthe 'copyright notice' as mentioned above.

Thank you!

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: This is extremely sad but what makes it sadder was that it was true. #156291 02/20/07 12:44 PM
J
Jamiecole2 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
J
that's so sad...and so cruel of the former owner...

shame on him

Haru Keet 10/20/07
Yuki Keet 10/20/07
Aki 'tiel 5/19/07
Daiki(M)D.Dove 11/19/07
Izumi (M) Betta
Re: This is extremely sad but what makes it sadder was that it was true. #156292 02/20/07 10:43 PM
I luv GiGi and Yogi Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
omg i'm crying. here is a story i found last year

http://saveayorkierescue.rescuegroups.org/info/display?PageID=1428

I luv my dogs!!!
Giada Bear De Laurentiis (Gi Gi) and Yogi Bear.

I luv my keets!!!
declan and fionnuala
Re: This is extremely sad but what makes it sadder was that it was true. #156293 02/21/07 11:19 PM
I
IronFront Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I
This makes me feel so bad. My parents had to do this to our cat, casey. We were moving and he didn't get along with our dogs. And my parents had allergies problems. Almost. We asked at the shelter. But he was 9 years old. We put up flyers everywhere. No one wanted him. The shelter said that he would probably have to be gassed. Yes, they gassed pets. A lady at the vet, who always loved casey, said that she would try casey out with the rest of her pets. If he did not fit in, he would be put to sleep. We never found out what happened to Casey. We were too scared.

A memoir to Casey

Casey was a cat who got taken out of his room in the morning. He would get a small snack, and then go outside. We would call him back in the afternoon for his meal. We would then put him back out. He would come back in the night. We would then put him back in his room for the night. He would often kill and eat squirells and the occasional bird. Casey buried their guts. Our dogs loved him, but he did not love the dogs. To this day, if we say "Casey!" our dogs look around for Casey. I sill love you Casey!

Re: This is extremely sad but what makes it sadder was that it was true. #156294 02/21/07 11:44 PM
J
Jamiecole2 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
J
awww..that's so sad...my parents cat Spuds passed away about a month ago...i believe he was twelve because they said he'd spent nine years in captivity somewhere possibly a shelter or a bad home and three years with them showered with love... i hope they get another pet..i know they've never been without a cat.

Haru Keet 10/20/07
Yuki Keet 10/20/07
Aki 'tiel 5/19/07
Daiki(M)D.Dove 11/19/07
Izumi (M) Betta
Re: This is extremely sad but what makes it sadder was that it was true. #156295 02/23/07 05:19 AM
Starchick Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Copyright Jim Willis 2001, all rights
reserved
http://prickleypearkennels.com/HowCouldYou.html

Sorry PDM! Here you go!

Re: This is extremely sad but what makes it sadder was that it was true. #156296 02/23/07 05:27 AM
Starchick Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
This too brought tears to my eyes. What is so sad, as I said, was that it IS TRUE and something needs to be done to stop it. Spay and neuter your pets so that not too many unwanted animals are around. If your a breeder, it's fine but please, don't let your dogs become puppy mills! Wait AT LEAST a year before you breed your pets again. Try to get dogs at an animal shelter and if you do not wish to, inform others about getting pets from there. THIS STORY IS NOT FICTION! IT HAPPENS EVERY SINGLE DAY ALL OVER!!!!!!!!!! Please, listen to this story, and don't set it to the back of your head. DO SOMETHING BECAUSE YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by modafinilxpills - 10/27/21 08:32 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site