06/06/06 04:29 AM
06/06/06 04:29 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

After my bunny Babs passed away when I was only 8 or 9 my mother convinced me to go with her to a pet store to find another rabbit to help ease the pain of loss. At the pet store there was very beautiful bunnies that my mother thought I would like. While I was looking at the bunnies I noticed a cage that some people were paying attention to. When I walked over there I found people making over the baby calico, and brindle and cream colored piggies. However sitting all alone and unnoticed in a corner, was an adult male guinea pig. Staring up at everybody like he was waiting his turn to get made over, even though it seemed to me, that somehhow he knew they would not be picking him up and loving on him. My heart broke all over again when I saw that poor old boy, because he was in the same situation as my bunny Babs was when I got her. Baby bunnies all around and nobody noticing the lonely adult bunny in the corner. Without hesitation I picked him up, walked away from the cages and paid out my $25 for him. When I got him home he seemed so shocked, yet so happy when he realized from everyday on He would be the one getting loved on, and He would never have to look up at the continous sea of faces he longed to be loved on by. Right away I knew I made the right choice in picking him, he returned my love and affection 100 fold without hesitation. he would lay down on my chest and fall happily asleep, content in knowing that I would be there the next day. I had 3 1/2 years of that love from that old boy. The day I found out he had passed on was when I was having a conversation with my mother about how I loved the simple things in life, my books, my art, the outdoors and of course my beloved Blaze. I was so happy with this conversation with my mother, that I wanted to go and take Blaze outside. I was talking to him while making my way to the room where his cage was...I distinctly remember saying before I opened the door, "isn't that right Blaze? we both love the simple things in life" I said the word life, right as I opened the door and found my sweet Blaze dead in his cage. His eyes were closed, he had died peacfully in his sleep. My heart broke all over again, and I cried for 3 weeks straight. It was a whole year before I was ready to love a piggy again. I went back to the same pet store, and it seems fate took me right back to the same cage and seemingly the same people. And what did I find huddled and ignored in the exact same corner of the cage where I found my Blaze? A baby guinea pig, only a few weeks old. She was the runt of the litter, and very sick too. She was so much like Blaze, ignored and looked over because of some imperfection that made her unattractive to the people around her. So once again I picked up the little darling paid the new price of $35, no matter how high they raised the price, I had no intention of leaving her to die in such a miserable place. The first week I had her was hard, she was so small and so sick I stayed up for days making sure she stayed alive. My efforts were rewarded. The 2 week I had her, I was eating a cookie, and what happend next still puts a smile on my face, even after all this time. She waddled her adorable little tushy over to me and stole the cookie from my hand, thus she became known as Cookie. I had her for 8 1/2 years, she grew to be almost a foot long (12 inches) and weighed a few pounds. When I knew she was going to die I took her out of her cage and laid her on my chest, I believe she took comfort in knowing that I was near and she wasn't alone while she passed on. Cookie died on my chest at exactly 12 midnight, before she passed she looked up at me with her beautiful brown eyes, sighed gently and passed away peacefully and quietly. My heart hurt so bad I felt like I was dying too. For months I cried myself to sleep, until one day while I was looking at her empty cage my Father put something on my lap, I looked down and there was a baby guinea pig, a calico just like Cookie, with the exception of it being a boy and having 1 blue eye and one brown eye. I feel in love instantly and my wounds began to heal with the affection of this little one. I had the radio on when my father put him on my lap, the song was Louie Louie and so I named him Louie. I learned from my father the digusting home he had come from, filthy cages and dingy water. I gave him everything I could treats, orange drops timothy hay...my only regret is I couldn't give him the pleasure of being outside, as it was september when I got him and to cold for a piggy to go outside. Never in his life did he see green grass and a sunny outside world. While I had him, I was at the feed store with my mother, buying his food. And what do I see in the corner? A lonely baby guinea pig in a dingy, dirty cage. Unwanted and left unattended. I took one look at her asked the price and bought her. She became Louie's mate and friend. Together the produced a little of beautiful pigglets, 2 sons and 2 daughters. All went to good homes and are well taken care of. Months after this Louie came down with abcesses and gastro-intestinal bloat which eventually killed him. Like Cookie before him, when I saw that he was close to death, I let him see daisy one last time, they touched noses and called to each other, I know he was saying good-bye to her. I took him to my room, laid him on my chest and stroked his head, telling him just how much I love him and how I'm going to miss him. He gave a little squeek, looked up at me, closed his eyes gently, gave a sigh and he too crossed over to death. I spent some time with him laying quiet and still on my chest. He was only a year old and already he was called away. However, as sad as his death was, I know that there are little Louies out there living the good life and thriving. I now just have Daisy, but someday soon I know I'm going to come upon another unwanted guinea pig. And that little one will be given all the love and affection he or she truly deserves in this life.

I know the story is quite long, but each darling in my life is connected to each other. If it hadn't been for each one, somewhere out there would have been sad and unwanted little ones, just waiting for that one person to come by and love them like they deserve to be loved.

Re: a bit long but for good reason in this special memorial #144407
06/06/06 07:05 PM
06/06/06 07:05 PM
NJ, USA
S
sampa Offline
Long Time Friend
sampa  Offline
Long Time Friend
S

NJ, USA
I am sorry for your losses, but all these little animals were better for having come across your path! God Bless you!

Re: a bit long but for good reason in this special memorial #144408
06/06/06 09:37 PM
06/06/06 09:37 PM
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
pretty bird Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
pretty bird  Offline
Tin Star Soulmate

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
The little babies had someone who loved them very much and took good care of them.

My name is Connie
Re: a bit long but for good reason in this special memorial #144409
06/07/06 12:25 AM
06/07/06 12:25 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

God acting anonamously.

Re: a bit long but for good reason in this special memorial #144410
06/08/06 06:59 PM
06/08/06 06:59 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

well if that was God acting anonamously, then he just directed me to another darling, 15 minutes ago I found another guniea pig in the same feed store and same cage that I found my current piggy, Daisy. She's now officially mine, has her own cage with timothy hay, orange drops, nice clean bedding, and crystal clear water. She was a little rose among the dingyness of that cage, so she will be known as Rosy from her on out smile

Re: a bit long but for good reason in this special memorial #144411
06/12/06 12:37 PM
06/12/06 12:37 PM
Indiana
applechickbsn Offline
applechickbsn  Offline

Indiana
My goodness! Your story brought tears to my eyes...the world needs more people like you to take care of the unwanted and unloved.

Re: a bit long but for good reason in this special memorial #144412
07/19/06 10:37 PM
07/19/06 10:37 PM
Pudd Offline
Regular
Pudd  Offline
Regular

yes, your story is close to my heart. Glad all the animals found a great home and they are waiting to see you again.

Re: a bit long but for good reason in this special memorial #144413
07/20/06 01:09 AM
07/20/06 01:09 AM
Sycamore,IL
Kariva Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Kariva  Offline
Tin Star Soulmate

Sycamore,IL
wow i know you made this post awhile ago but i completely understand how you feel. with me it is leopard geckos. i got my first one who only live for 3 weeks because when ig ot him he was really sick and i was unable to get him healthy. my friend then gave me one that she said nobody would buy from her because he had an imperfection in his tail and to me he is absolutely perfect. he is the one "person" who was there for me when my cousin committed suicide and he would lick my nose and comfort me. when he was a lil over a year i decided i wanted to get him a mate but his mate turned out to be male and the breeder said i could return him but how could i do that after i had already fallen so deeply in love with the lil guy. if it werent for my animals i would be lost they love you no matter what and dont judge you!

Re: a bit long but for good reason in this special memorial #144414
07/20/06 09:00 PM
07/20/06 09:00 PM
Brady, Texas
Starchick Offline
Long Time Friend
Starchick  Offline
Long Time Friend

Brady, Texas
frown

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Do you practice tsundoku?
by Sherrylin. 01/18/20 07:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
General Discussion
Books, TV, Movies
Da Vinci Code
Dreams
Japanese Culture
Life, Universe, Everything
Online Courses
Politics
Religious Research
Show Your Own Work
Work From Home / Writing

Parakeets
General Parakeet Chat
Keet Stories and Photos
Parakeet Photo Gallery
Budgie Training
Health and Medical Issues
Parakeet Breeding
In Memory Of ...
Non-Budgie Pets and Animals
Non-Budgie Animal Photos
Off-Topic for Keet Owners
Games
Animal Rights
Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site