Print Thread
Weird beak problem (update and pics) and med question #143158 12/28/06 12:05 AM
W
WitchCatXeen Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
W
I just recently obtained a camera. Its not super nice, but it beats having nothing. Jimmy's beak has gotten worse, I still haven't found a vet. I called one that is a distance away, their avian vet wasn't in at the time. I left a description of the beak problem with the lady who answered the phone and she said she'd have him call back, but he never did.

I also asked a friend about avian vets (she has 2 'tiels) and she said she'd get back to me, but she hasn't yet. I have a feeling she's talking about the one I called thats a bit of a distance from me.

So, my question is: Can I just go to a vet place and get the meds for Jimmy, or would I have to bring Jimmy in? I think taking him anywhere would traumatize him. He's such a scardy bird.

I posted in the photos section. I hope somebody will be able to see whats going on. I'll try to get better pics later: http://www.wineintro.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=001194

So yeah. Its gotten worse, but very slowly. The whole beak just looks... dry? And either side is jaggedy now. He seems it be itching it quite a bit. I thought it was due to molting, but I think he's done molting. I tried white paper in the cage to see if there were mites laying on it but I didn't see anything.

Also, I've been looking carefully at his feet and they cool a little bit 'dryer' than Vash's (like, whiter?).

So I don't even know what kind of meds to get. I'd hate to give him the wrong one but I can't find a vet who will come out or who is close enough. I saw some mite meds at a pet store, don't know if that would be the thing to get...

gaw! I don't know what to do! I'll be able to do something this weekend if only I can figure out the best course of action. I feel like a bad birdy mama, but I'm trying.

Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams - they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as religions do - they all contain truths - Muhammad Ali
Re: Weird beak problem (update and pics) and med question #143159 12/28/06 12:29 AM
B
birdfriend Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
B
Well it looks to me like his beak is wider than Vash's. You definitely need to take Jimmy with you to the vet becuase without seeing the problem, the vet could give you the wrong meds which could seriously hurt him. Also, the vet might be able to help him at the office by trimming his beak or something.

You're not a bad bird mom! You're doing the right thing by looking around for help.

Good luck with Jimmy!

Kiwi*8-23-05
Blueberry*9-9-06
Gizmo*11-11-06
Ollie*4-7-07
Re: Weird beak problem (update and pics) and med question #143160 12/28/06 12:49 AM
W
WitchCatXeen Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
W
IT does look bigger than Vash's and I think that's because Vash has lots of cheek fathers and Jimmy doesn't. But maybe I'm wrong?

I'll try taking him to a vet. It will be hard since they're not open late or on the weekends :-/

We'll figure it out...

Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams - they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as religions do - they all contain truths - Muhammad Ali
Re: Weird beak problem (update and pics) and med question #143161 12/28/06 01:28 AM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Find a way to take him to a vet , you will be sooo happy you did even if it was alot of trouble. Just think if it is serious and may progress to interfer with his eating eeek. It will make you and the bird feel better and will let you put your mind at rest. I clearly see a larger beak and so did birdfriend so maybe its not the feathers.

Good Luck Let us know how the lil one is doing. I hope he's okay.

Re: Weird beak problem (update and pics) and med question #143162 12/28/06 02:52 AM
W
WitchCatXeen Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
W
Okay, I'll see what I can do. Will probably have to have roomie take a day off work to take him in, but it will be worth it.

Should I take Vash along, too, so Jimmy feels better, or should I take Jimmy alone? I guess even if it traumatizes him for life, it'll be worth it 'cause he'll be okay smile

Is a big beak like that a weird abnormality or something??

Re: Weird beak problem (update and pics) and med question #143163 12/28/06 05:16 AM
B
birdfriend Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
B
You might want to take Vash too because if it is mites or something Vash might have gotten it too so the vet would have to check her out as well.

Tell us what the vet says!

Kiwi*8-23-05
Blueberry*9-9-06
Gizmo*11-11-06
Ollie*4-7-07
Re: Weird beak problem (update and pics) and med question #143164 12/28/06 01:58 PM
miralina Offline
I posted this awhile back

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000682

Good luck I hope he is ok!

Keets : Bruce Lee and Daffodil born spring 2005
Lovebirds: Mango and Kiwi born 1996
Re: Weird beak problem (update and pics) and med question #143165 12/28/06 11:43 PM
W
WitchCatXeen Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
W
Thanks Miralina! I don't think his beak is too -long- though. Its just... wider, almost...

Re: Weird beak problem (update and pics) and med question #143166 12/29/06 07:18 AM
di Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
i am pretty sure he has mites..... there was a post on this a while ago, and it had some great info.......but i just cant find it.....

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Growing my own greens for my birds question
by LA-Birds - 09/24/21 10:17 PM
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site