Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vet visit prices... #142816 11/14/06 08:51 PM
A
amccarthy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I live in new york city, so I expect everything to be a bit more expensive here. However I was stunned when the vet that petco reccommended told me that a physical was $95.

Is this completely outrageous? Does anyone know of soem more reasonable avian vets in the city?

Re: Vet visit prices... #142817 11/14/06 09:57 PM
B
birdfriend Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
B
When my keet went to the vet it cost $117. This includes wing clipping, nail trim, blood work, fecal test and medicine that she needed for an infection. I think the price depends on what they're doing. I don't know of any vets in NYC but you could probably find a more reasonable price.

Kiwi*8-23-05
Blueberry*9-9-06
Gizmo*11-11-06
Ollie*4-7-07
Re: Vet visit prices... #142818 11/14/06 10:09 PM
Arty Offline
Companion
Companion
O.O Wow. That is terrible.

I paid $45 for a physcial and antibiotics for a slight cold for Scrappy. (He was going to do the nail trimming, which didn't need it so he didn't, and wanted to clip his wings, but I like to keep Scrappy's wings full because we still have the cat.)

I'm in Ohio, so its a bit further away. From what I've noticed, though, things tend to be a bit more expensive within the city...perhaps phone to vets in the area? (The best price wasn't the one I took, only because it was a half hour drive out there...$15 by an old farm vet. laugh ) That's actually what I did...mostly because I wasn't sure if they did birds.

Re: Vet visit prices... #142819 11/15/06 01:35 AM
S
sampa Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
S

Re: Vet visit prices... #142820 11/15/06 08:54 AM
B
Bandit Offline
Friend
Friend
B
Y'all really make me love my vet more than I already do smile I told the hubby if I didn't love him so much I'd go after the vet lol. I get charged 15 for a visit and only what the price of the work that needs to be done, wing clipping and such is a no charge as it doesn't really require much doing.
I do say call around and try out differant vets till you find one that you are comfortable with and stick to them. Ask people in your area what vet they use or recommend.
A good vet imo is one that cares more about the animal than they do about the paycheck and will listen to what you tell them. No one knows your critter the way you do so that is important.

Re: Vet visit prices... #142821 11/15/06 02:19 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Try checking with any local bird clubs to see if they recommend anyone. That is how I found a great local vet; my Batboy was keeping one eye closed a lot so I called a friend who has parrots and belongs to the local bird club and she told me who a lot of members use. The visit was $38 for a check up and $10 for eye drops. When I took Prettygirl in (her butt area looked reddish) the total was $120. There was a lump that frlt like it could be an egg and the vet used a needle to withdraw some tissue from the area to check and that didnt show any yolk but to be absolutely sure she also did an x-ray; the fee also included a 2 week check-up where she got a second opinion from another vet at the office who also specializes in birds. By the way they feel that it is a fatty tissue deposit and since she appears quite healthy otherwise and happy and active there is not much to do about it except try to work with her diet (which the vet said seems very good) and limit millet to a very occassional treat since it is high in fat. Then Batboy had some watery poop, they charged $16 to examine it (there were no signs of parasites) and I brought him in and he got a clean bill of health.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site