LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
my baby died #142230 08/15/06 09:45 AM
eskay121 Offline OP
OP Offline
i am so devastated... my little birdie honeydew just died this morning. he seemed so healthy and happy just the day before, but yesterday(sunday) i noticed that he wasnt chirping loudly as usual to be let out of the cage when i woke up. he did come out, like what he normally likes to do but i noticed that he just hid in corners and slept.

i had him for about a month, and he was truly one of a kind.. he was friendly from the get go, and LOVED to come out and play. he would run around the room with his little two feet, and learned quickly to trust me and even my friends, hopping on our arms.

he had a day when he slept alot before, and was fine the next day so i thought maybe it was the same. and since it was sunday, all the vet offices werent open. i scooped him up in my two hands when he seemed weak all of a sudden, and cradled him in my arms, which ive never done before with him. i felt his breast bone for the first time and it seemd like it was jutted out. i tried to feed him his favorite treat, and he ate it... and finally he seemed to get better after few hours, and by then i had throughly cleaned his cage and food bowls so i gently placed him in his cage and went out for an hour or two.

when i came back it was 10, and i had covered his cage- i checked on him, and he was sitting on the cage floor, which was not a good sign. he kept losing his balance, so i decided to take him out and put him in a small shoebox where he will be safe, and watched over him. i also put a lamp close (but not too close) to keep him warm. me and my roommate watched over him till 4 am, when he finally seemed to be sleeping but still sick.

the whole time he seemed dazed and kept looking up, and kept losing his balance. his body was contorted at one point, and he seemed to have no control over his body... his wings were twitching at times, and his feet were limp. he seemed to still recognize me and my roommate because he would still come near us. i dont know what was wrong with my honeydew!! i called the 24 hour vet office 3 hours away (my hometown, since im away at college), and i tried to describe his conditions but all they said was that i had to bring him in, which i could not do at 3 am, esp. when its 3 hours away! and i have no car.. and i felt bad asking my roomate.

when i woke up this morning, he was not breathing anymore.. i was devastated. i was a wreck.. if it had not been for my friend, i would have just spent the day staring into empty space. i was so excited to have honeydew... i just want to know what had caused his sudden sickness. and should i be worried about virus/bacteria since he was in my bedroom??

it was so hard to see my baby in such excruciating pain... i was in tears when he was stumbling towards me. could it have been a concussion?? the day before, he was in the sink with the faucet turned on lightly, but all of a sudden he jumped out(his wings were clipped from the store) was falling toward the toilet-- so in an attempt to catch him so he does not drown, i tried to cup him in my hands mid-air, but he kept fluttering and fell on to the bathroom floor with his beak first. he seemed alittle shocked but seemed to be okay-- if this is what caused his death, i would feel sooooo terrible!

i already feel so sad as it is... can anyone tell me what the cause might have been? is there anyone with similar experience??

Re: my baby died #142231 08/15/06 08:08 PM
A
anne17765 Offline
Regular
Regular
A
How old was he? was he the only bird in the cage? If so check he cage for abnormal poop. Also did you have some sort of mineral block in the cage? Maybe a combonation of the fall and lack of calcium caused this. Don't blame yourself you did everything you could to save his life, and because of you he had a happy life, instead of boring life in the pet store.

Re: my baby died #142232 08/15/06 11:24 PM
C
colr4life Offline
C
Hello, When I saw your post I remembered my Snowie. She had the same symptoms, and we did take her to the vet. The vet said that she caught a virus of some sort. She had a friend named Joey, but he was ok.We cleaned their cage often and thoroughtly, but still got sick. It seems it was Snowie's time. Even with the trip to the vet, antibiotics and overnight stay at the vet didn't save her (I still would have gone). Birds hide their illness well to not let predators spot them at their weakest time (instinct). I was told that she'd been sick for a while she just hid it well (even from us). Just in case we have the same situation, it may be a good idea to wash out the cage for you other birds, because it may be contageous. Here is a usefull link on this site about care and parakeet health if you think it may have been something else.

http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/medical/

Like anne17765 said, don't blame yourself for it. You did all you could. From the sound of it, honeydew was very loved to his last day. Hope you feel better soon. frown smile

Re: my baby died #142233 08/16/06 07:54 PM
annie&beebee Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
I agree with the others. And I wouldn't worry about you catching anything from the bird since he was in your bedroom.

Im sorry for your loss. frown

i ♥ beebee. ~annie
--------------------
"Adversity does not build character. Adversity reveals character." — Sandy Dahl
"There is no such thing as an ordinary life." — Alexandra Johnson
Re: my baby died #142234 08/17/06 04:23 AM
eskay121 Offline OP
OP Offline
he was the only bird in the cage.. and i do believe he had some watery poop, but after he got sick. i did have a cuttlebone but he never really used it... thank you anne17765! and thank you again, colr4life. i hope your other birdie is well! i got honeydew from petco and i only had him for a month, but i guess he was sick from the start because his (poop area) wasnt very clean, and was sleeping in the food bowl, and not interested in toys. he loved hanging out with people though, and was very happy. thats what kills me... its really sad and empty in my room without him. and thank you annie&beebee smile

Re: my baby died #142235 08/17/06 09:32 AM
annie&beebee Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Yes, dirty vents (their butts where the poop comes out) is NOT a good sign. Birds clean themselves a lot and if they aren't doing this, there is something wrong. His inactivity was also not a good sign. You did the best you could... at least he was happy with you during the last moments in his life and didn't have to die in the petstore. smile

i ♥ beebee. ~annie
--------------------
"Adversity does not build character. Adversity reveals character." — Sandy Dahl
"There is no such thing as an ordinary life." — Alexandra Johnson

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site