Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: SICK? his head?! PIX?! looks bad!? #141687 05/24/06 03:46 PM
L
lovemydaisy Offline
L
It sounds like a yeast infection to me. Your vet will know best though.

Re: SICK? his head?! PIX?! looks bad!? #141688 05/24/06 11:40 PM
jeraco77 Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Im in a bad state my freinds. Sweetie is not well.
Dont read on if you are squeemish 'cause i'll tell ya what happened.

The second the vet picked SWEETIE up he PUKED all over him. It wasnt ooze from his eyes, it was VOMIT that had gotten on his HEAD, i just hadn't seen my baby vomit so didnt know. hence the smell. And here came MY tears. SO.

Vet is calling this "Avian Gastric Yeast" (completely unrelated to a yeast infection he says though?). Vet says its very common in birds from pet stores (sweetie is a petco bird) and thinks his massive liver enlargement, which is what the Xray showed (way way too big) is a clear symptom/indicator of this disease.

There's a poss that its bacterial if his diagnosis is wrong, so he gave him antibiotics, but also Rx'd a medicine that i'll hafta give SWEETIE for a month to try to help his liver/gastric problem/disease & hope there's a chance for him still. He says anything could have brought this on, that it was prob dormant in him for years, no way to know. I'll know more soon, gonna do research now, and have a follow up appt soon.

HOPING AND PRAYING SWEETIE WILL PULL THRU THIS, I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT ID DO......... frown

Re: SICK? his head?! PIX?! looks bad!? #141689 05/25/06 02:04 AM
S
sampa Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
S
OMG poor little baby! And poor yo with the worry. I will keep my finegrs crossed that Sweetie gets better soon! Keep us posted, pls.

Re: SICK? his head?! PIX?! looks bad!? #141690 05/25/06 01:38 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Let's hope for the best, jeraco.

Your sweetie looks a lot like my Trixie.

I hope he pulls through.

Re: SICK? his head?! PIX?! looks bad!? #141691 05/25/06 05:59 PM
jeraco77 Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Thanks for the support guys! Really helps.

My petco guy (very nice loves birds etc) says this is something that they require their birds to be vaccinated for before they arrive, but since they are kept in masses together, and they're so communal, its possible to give it back to each other while they're on display etc... could be a common thing. This "AGY".

If anyone is interested, I found a link to a very good explanation to this apparently common ailment..."AGY". I start sweetie on his meds tomorrow~ which COULD be very helpful if we caught it early enough. We'll see. What a nightmare.

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww64eiv.htm

Re: SICK? his head?! PIX?! looks bad!? #141692 05/26/06 12:20 AM
S
sampa Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
S
I am keeping my fingers crossed for both of you.

Re: SICK? his head?! PIX?! looks bad!? #141693 05/26/06 05:08 PM
Cristina Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I'm so sorry Jeraco! Poor Sweetie!

I will be praying for a safe and fast recovery. He's going to be okay. Keep your head up.

Thank you for sharing that link with us. Please keep us posted.

Get Well Sweetie!

"You never stop loving someone, you just learn to live without them"
Re: SICK? his head?! PIX?! looks bad!? #141694 05/27/06 03:16 AM
icequeen50 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Thank you for the sight info. I found this sight to be very informative. i am sorry about your little Sweetie, I hope everything works out for you both. Take care of each other always.

Re: SICK? his head?! PIX?! looks bad!? #141695 05/27/06 06:56 AM
Alex Dodd Offline
Have you considered the fact that there may be something wrong with his natural feather oils. I heard that if they are not able to secrete or over secrete (thats what it looks like in this case) then they will get a bad odor and have weird feathers. I don't think it is anything life threatening, but you should definately take him in. Good luck!

-Alex

-Alex, proud owner of Pedro and Azul
Re: SICK? his head?! PIX?! looks bad!? #141696 05/27/06 02:09 PM
jeraco77 Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Thanks guys - here's an update.

The smell was his regurgitation. I saw it @ the VET then came the smell. But~!! He's had an injection of antibiotics, and had his 1st 2 doses of medicine (dropper i just feed to him right in his mouth). He is looking great!

Feathers are pretty so no sickies, he's eating & drinking. His LIVER is very enlarged, as I saw in the Xrays, so he will be on this medicine for 30 days, and kept very warm & non-active. He hates his mommy for not letting him fly around (i feel so mean, but dr's orders!) and for force feeding him this crap, but i love him & its for his own good. Right? Right! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site