Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
scaly face? #141602 05/10/06 03:01 AM
Kait Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
I was looking closley ay my budgie Emmie today and she is showing signs of scaly face. I'm not 100% sure though. I looked up some information on this infection and it seems like shes in the first stages of it. I'm not usre if I should go right to the vet or if I should go to my local pet store to get medication. I'll post a picture tomorrow. Any advice would be apprecitated!
-Kait

<3Andy,Charlie,Sunny&Emmie<3
Re: scaly face? #141603 05/10/06 03:15 AM
pretty bird Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
Well I went to the vet he said my birds had it a little but did not tell me about med so I was reading one of the books I got from the library and it said to use some ointment for it so I looked it up on the internet and ordered 2 bottles of it as I have 3 possibly 4 birds with it and I don't want it to get worse. I just think I'm going to have fun getting it on them as 3 are not trained at all the 4th is finger trained but will not let me rub her beak plus she is sort of cranky going thru 1st molt As soon as I get it it also said to scrub their cage down really good and wash all of their food/water dishes I would also think toys. I plan on cleaning EVERYTHING I'm going to use baking soda and vinegar with hot water and scrub everything really good I'm not to happy with the vet right now after I read the stuff in the book it also said it was highly contagious. http://www.arcatapet.com/birdstuff.cfm this is the site I ordered it from Its under the Meds & suppliments its on page 3 its called Rich Health Scalex .95 oz cost 10.31 item 1923 I ordered 2 bottles as I will probably be treating at least 4 birds with it and you have to do it for a couple of weeks The book that I got from the library is called Budgerigars in colour their care and breeding by A. Rutgers edited by Cyril Rogers thats where I read about the scale stuff and what to do it had some stuff for cleaning but I know that baking soda and vinegar is a disenfectant and I know it won't hurt the birds

My name is Connie
Re: scaly face? #141604 05/10/06 11:26 AM
Kait Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
Thanks so much pretty bird smile I'm going to go to my local pet shop and see if they have a really good product and if I cant find anything there I'll deffinetly order from the site. I hope your little guys will get better. I have four as well, they are all somewhat hand tame, but latley I've been giving them their space. Anyways, thanks again and I'll update this when I have any more news!

Re: scaly face? #141605 06/04/06 02:55 AM
pretty bird Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
I looked at my bird Zorro today and he either has scaly face or a broken beak looks more like a boken beak calling the vet on monday to get him in to see if there is anything that can be done for him he already had a deformed beak to begin with and took him in once to get it trimmed a little but this looks sort of bad and I don't want to let it go even though I'm not that crazy for the vet.

My name is Connie
Re: scaly face? #141606 06/06/06 12:33 AM
Shmo Offline
Hi Kait, my boyfriend and I bought a bird without knowing it had scaly face and it was pretty advanced, but luckily we researched her condition and found this wonderful treatment called SCATT online. We gave her the medicine about 5 months ago and all symptoms were 100% gone by the first month! She started singing and playing with her toys and interacting with us (not to mention the clearing up of the crusty white mites all over her feet and face) I've read that the sprays they have in the stores for mites can be harmful to parakeet's delicate respiratory systems. My local petstores didn't carry SCATT so i ordered it offline. Here are some links: http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_scatt.mgi
http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/features_airsacmites.mgi

It's so easy to administer and truely is a miraculous medication. Best of luck! -Sarah

Re: scaly face? #141607 06/08/06 08:24 PM
Kait Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
Thanks for the advice! Emmie (the one who had scaley face) is finally better...shes back to her regular self smile I went to the pet store and bought some medication for her...they said it was vet recommended and then I took the medicine to the vet to be sure it was safe and she told me it was...Im just glad everythings back to normal!

Re: scaly face? #141608 06/09/06 12:45 AM
pretty bird Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
Zorro had scaley face not a broken beak

My name is Connie
Re: scaly face? #141609 06/09/06 02:08 AM
pretty bird Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
Well Dale now has scaley face so what I did was put Zorro and Dale in a seperate cage they will both be getting medicine on their beaks I also just got thru doing another disinfecting of the cage I should have known that Dale probably would get it her and Zorro are kind of a pair. Anyway Zorro is probably much happier in the cage with his buddy. Dale was harder to put the meds on than Zorro was I'm so afraid I'm going to hurt them that I probably do not hold them good enough but I know its so easy to crush them.

My name is Connie
Re: scaly face? #141610 06/09/06 05:56 PM
S
sampa Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
S
Hi pretty bird. Oh my oh my.... now you have Dale too.. huh?
How do you recognize scaly face? And I wonder how they got it? You have had both of them for a while and I now that you keep their cage and toys extremely clean. So how did they get this?

Re: scaly face? #141611 06/09/06 09:25 PM
Shmo Offline
Have they had it before? Because it could of not been completely eradicated. Or gotten new keets, that could have exposed them to it? I know that scaly face can take a looong time to show obvious signs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site