LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
new parakeet #140865 02/06/06 02:35 PM
marion Offline OP
OP Offline
hi,
on saturday i bought a young male parakeet.
he is not moving at all and still sits on the cage floor.he's acting paraliesed. the food i put directly to his nose, he's eating, but he's not drinking nor looking for food.
i don't know, what to do, it seems so unusual.
sorry for my bad english, i'm german.
marion

Re: new parakeet #140866 02/06/06 03:22 PM
Nadia_123 Offline
Companion
Companion
Hi marion

your english is fine smile

please make sure you have read lisa's tips...make sure you close parts of the cage and make the environment as comfortable as possible for your parakeet.

from what i have read, it takes time for them to adjust...so please be patient and see how things are...there is a possibility your parakeet is afraid of the new surroundings

its hard to tell on the condition of your keet as we cant see it and i am not a vet...but usually the signs you can see from

1. ruffled feathers all the time
2. not active at all...not even moving at all
3. keeps closing his/her eyes (not only one eye)
4. look at he droppings (poo) is it runny? is it normal?

i'm still new but, i just recently bought one too and it turns out to be sick and i had to give her back...

if your in any doubt whats best is to call the petshop where you bought your parakeet and ask questions also you can call vets, or even better give it a checkup through a vet...

hope this helps...and anyone who is more knowledgable please correct me if there is any mistake in my explanations smile

take care and hope your parakeet will get better soon...

A proud friend and companion of Nabeel (Adopted on the 7th Feb 2006, age 7-8 weeks)
Re: new parakeet #140867 02/06/06 03:29 PM
marion Offline OP
OP Offline
hi nadia,
thank you for your reply.
he seems tired all the time. but he's not ruffled his feathers and the poo looks not liquid.
what worries me, is the he not moves at all and i don't know if he would look for water, when he's thursty.
since i'm new in this forum, i couldnt find lisas tips yet.

Re: new parakeet #140868 02/06/06 04:58 PM
P
paula k Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
P
Mine didn't move for about 4 days. I put milliet right next to her, so she would eat. She didn't want to go to her seed cup. She did eat the milliet. I covered the cage at night, and hopefully she drank water after I went to bed. Then one day she started moving around and chirping. It just took about 4-5 days. It is a big adjustment to leave the bin-o-budgies and come to a new environment. Now she bunks with my other keet and they are just fine. Good luck with yours and keep us posted.

ava and abby
Re: new parakeet #140869 02/06/06 06:08 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Hello:

Keets are native to the desert of Australia.

They don't drink a lot. Just tiny little sips every now and then. They can actually survive for quite some time without drinking.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, as long as she has some water in the cage and you change it regularly so it's always clean.

As for the food, I would be a little more concerned if she's not eating after a couple of days. Check the seed bowl to see if there are any seed hulls, this way you will know if she has eaten.

Buy her some spray millet. It's not an ideal diet for them in the long run, but they love to eat it, so it's better than nothing.

Re: new parakeet #140870 02/07/06 12:33 AM
Nadia_123 Offline
Companion
Companion
here is the website of lisa's tips smile

http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/budgie.html

and i agree with everyone...it takes time smile and every budgie is different so its really hard to tell frown

A proud friend and companion of Nabeel (Adopted on the 7th Feb 2006, age 7-8 weeks)
Re: new parakeet #140871 02/08/06 06:50 AM
Karyn Offline
Hi Marion

I just bought my new parakeet on Sunday, and he seriously didn't move for around 2 days. I panicked and posted a message in this forum, and a lot of people have assured me that this is perfectly normal. It's now the 5th day, and he's a lot livelier now - he's still not making much noise, but he's pecking at his dangly toy, jumping from perch to perch, and hopping to his food and water bowls. He's not scared of my "evil hand" anymore and even eats from it! smile So your budgie will likely do the same smile

Re: new parakeet #140872 02/08/06 09:34 PM
marion Offline OP
OP Offline
hello,
my toni moved a little, not much but a little and 2 times i could hear his tiny little voice: piep ;-)
he's eating from my hand too. last night he acted a little strange. a while after i covered his cage, he flew wild around. do they have nightmares? i had the feeling, he fell off his perch.
how long should i wait, until i put his bathtub in the cage?
greetings
marion

Re: new parakeet #140873 02/08/06 10:59 PM
Nadia_123 Offline
Companion
Companion
thats a good sign that toni is starting to move, about falling of perches im not sure but if i'm not mistaken budgies do can have nightmares i think or it could be that something spooked him a little, like theres a bug or something.

Budgies are individual beings, some dont like bathtubs and some do...some like being mist sprayed with warm water and some like when you spray their toys at first and they will rub against that and some even like going into the shower with you...so its basically trial and error...what they like and prefer

to train him to go on to your bird bath tub, just let it be in the cage first so that it is used to the shape and knows that that bird bath tub is not going to harm him...

The website address i gave you in my earlier posts, lisa's tips tells you how to bath your budgie also for training budgies in the beginning try this link,

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000178

the person who wrote it, also have a book about training budgies, i'm getting one soon laugh cant wait!

hope it helps smile

Re: new parakeet #140874 02/17/06 09:48 PM
Fifitrixibelle Offline
I have had my budgie for 2 weeks now, from a breeder and he still sits on the same perch all day not moving apart from in the morning when he wakes, eats and drinks. He preens, eats but after 2 weeks still hasnt made a sound. He is older than I would have liked, about 6 month I think since he has adult features but the breeder said he was from late last year. I have had budgies all my life but never have I had one take so long to adjust.He seems really docile and will take water drops off my finger and will accept millet I hand to him. All the signs show he is not diseased. Will this one ever settle I wonder?

No, I'm Spartacus X

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site