Print Thread
help about birds not getting bigger like in the store #140283 11/29/05 03:04 PM
H
hsieh Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
H
i've had my 2 birds since july 4th. they don't seem to be getting bigger and plumper. when i got them they were very young. compared to the birds in stores they are not as big it seems. is something wrong? i fill up their food bowel everyday. should they be larger and plumper? the birds in the store are plumper mine seem diminuative compared to them.

Re: help about birds not getting bigger like in the store #140284 11/29/05 03:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
maybe you just have dainty birds. All mine are not the same size. The green birds are bigger then
the others and the Yellow (Sprite is the smallest of the group) I think if they are eating and palying and being birds it's just they way they are. Also birds in a cage get more exercise then those in the bin

Re: help about birds not getting bigger like in the store #140285 11/29/05 11:33 PM
skippy_and_pippy Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Maybe they are getting bigger but you just don't notice it? Unless you have a live full grown bird to compare them to, it would be difficult to notice them gradually growing...

smile

I love my babies: Skippy and Pippy! \:\)
Re: help about birds not getting bigger like in the store #140286 11/29/05 11:42 PM
P
paula k Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
P
Don't worry, I bought tillie in sept. and now 2 months later she is a small bird. When I think of a keet, I think of a good sized, solid looking bird but when I look at tillie she is so dainty. She looks tall but small to me. It is probably like people, every size and shape.

ava and abby
Re: help about birds not getting bigger like in the store #140287 11/30/05 09:24 PM
Jloc Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I think it can depend on a few things, I know for sure that the type of keet will make a difference, my bird Frodo is a reccessive pied and although she is a long bird she is very skinny looking, and most reccessive pied I have seen are similar, especially compared to birds that dominant pied or clearflights, Ricks bird Gebo looks like a nice plump bird and when I looked up clearflights they tend to look that way, very bigger bird, I think Rick or someone said they are almost a mix of a regular budgie and an English budgie, making a bigger bird. Also they don't grow all that fast, from a tiny baby they might but probably after 6 months they don't seem to grow very fast.

So point is your birds are fine, if they seem healthy and eat well then I'm sure they are perfectly fine. Well good luck and if it is bugging you still you should just take them to the vet where they will weigh them for you and tell you if they are in a good weight range. It never hurts to have them checked. Let us know what you do but I think they are fine. Jloc

Frodo, Sam Wise, Shelby, and Scooter
Re: help about birds not getting bigger like in the store #140288 12/01/05 12:38 AM
La Sierra Madre Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Sierra is slim as well. at petco she was the smallest keet in the store and everyone was pushing her out of her bowl when she wanted to eat.

Re: help about birds not getting bigger like in the store #140289 12/01/05 02:52 AM
M
Madison Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
M
My recessive pied is much bigger than my normal. Anyway, keets really can vary in size quite a bit. No need to worry unless they aren't eating. smile

-------
"The most beautiful arrangement is a pile of things poured out a random."
-Heraclitus

http://www.livejournal.com/users/metricula
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~mmrobert/files.html
Re: help about birds not getting bigger like in the store #140290 12/01/05 01:37 PM
H
hsieh Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
H
i guess i need to do research on recessive pieds because i don't know what that means. is a recessive pied like the picture of jloc? that is what my birds look like. i had never seen birds that color so i picked them out at the petstore.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
it will become worthwhile to simply use tokens for
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:27 AM
Hands on the table
by EVA21SA - 01/24/21 08:07 AM
Where are they going on the underground?
by EVA21SA - 01/22/21 09:24 AM
by EVA21SA - 01/22/21 09:17 AM
Interest in DaVinci Code
by EVA21SA - 01/21/21 08:38 AM
Freemasons and the Da Vinci Code
by EVA21SA - 01/18/21 07:40 AM
Total Freedom
by EVA21SA - 01/16/21 08:52 AM
Matthew 12:40
by EVA21SA - 01/16/21 08:45 AM
What does this dream mean?
by vicyclethree - 01/14/21 06:57 PM
Bravo
by EVA21SA - 01/09/21 08:27 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site