Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help My Parakeets will NOT drink #139848 10/22/05 05:35 AM
M
Moon2Goddess3 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have two parakeets one is male the other is albino and has never been determined although we belive to be a female. I measure the amount of water they recieve and change it every morning and measure how much I take out. It is always exactly the same. After noticing this for 4 days I set up my web cam on them and left it on all night and all day for 2 days they never ever moved to it. I have had them for almost a year now and they are happy, chattery, playful birds, both have clean feathers bright eyes and love play but they just wont drink.

Re: Help My Parakeets will NOT drink #139849 10/22/05 04:46 PM
Enchanting Offline
Companion
Companion
Has this only just started? I'm not really good with health and medical issues, but I have been at home all day and neither of my birds have drank from their water bowl. I think they are just not thirsty creatures. Have you tried a bowl etc? If they have been like this for nearly a year and they seem ok... plus they have tiny mouths. How do they get water now seeing as you can measure it so accurately?

Phoenix and Sky - Born February 2007/Adopted 03.04.07
Re: Help My Parakeets will NOT drink #139850 10/22/05 05:35 PM
M
Madison Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
M
If they weren't drinking at all, they'd be dead or very, very sick by now. Really. Unless you have a really expensive graduated cylinder, you aren't gonna be able to measure what they drink. Even if you're transferring the water from the dish into a grad. cyl., you still wouldn't be able to get an accurate measurement due to the water lost in transfer. If they really haven't been driking for two days, you ahould take them into a vet immediately.

-------
"The most beautiful arrangement is a pile of things poured out a random."
-Heraclitus

http://www.livejournal.com/users/metricula
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~mmrobert/files.html
Re: Help My Parakeets will NOT drink #139851 10/22/05 06:26 PM
La Sierra Madre Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
i agree with madison. they'd be dead by now if you've had them for a year and they weren't drinking. keets don't drink a lot, and not in sudden bursts. they sip now and then. i have seen sierra drink while i'm talking to her; i wouldn't worry about that.

Re: Help My Parakeets will NOT drink #139852 10/22/05 09:40 PM
S
Sylv Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
It is virtually impossible to measure the amount they would drink in a day or even two as evaporation and loss on transfer would probably be more than what they drank.Tattoo drinks every day 5 or 6 times a day I see him do this as I am always with him.One thing you could try is to put them a water pot near to the perch they spend most of their time on and see if they start drinking then.Have you got a photo of your cage set up?

Re: Help My Parakeets will NOT drink #139853 10/25/05 05:13 AM
M
Moon2Goddess3 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
No I have no photos but their cage has little in it its a large cage 3 ft tall 2 ft wide it has three perches in it, in one corner it has a wooden bear with rope arms and legs that hang on to the other corns and act as perches, my female doesnt like toys in her cage, I dont close the cage except at night they fly freely around the house except for the bathroom and the kitchen. I have a cat but they're always riding on his back, he just loves them in fact when I got the second bird he was very protective of her. But the food and water on the the middle perch where they sleep at night they frequently return to the cage for food but as soon as their done they fly out again and they do most of their eating at night anyways. Theres no other water source in the house and also they refuse to bathe, the petshop Ibought them from said they dont take baths I new better and didnt like the place so I bought the two he had and so far he hasnt anymore which i for one am glad. Any hits on baths, i put a bath in the cage they ignore it. I tried puting them in the sink with a gentle stream they ignore it. at this point i have a spray of mite bath that i give them once a month they dont have mites but i want to make sure they dont get them.

Re: Help My Parakeets will NOT drink #139854 10/25/05 05:59 AM
M
Madison Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
M
You really don't need to be giving them mite spray unless they actually have mites. It's pointless to treat a problem that doesn't exist.

Why don't you try misting them with just plain, warm water?

-------
"The most beautiful arrangement is a pile of things poured out a random."
-Heraclitus

http://www.livejournal.com/users/metricula
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~mmrobert/files.html
Re: Help My Parakeets will NOT drink #139855 10/25/05 06:08 AM
Jloc Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
PLease stop giving them the mite bath, your keets won't get mites unless they're flying around outside or are around other infected birds and spraying them will do nothing to protect them, it will just kill mites when they get them, and even then that stuffis very bad for them so PLEASE stop using that stuff, it's no good, it could get rid of mites but in your case you don't need it!

I would add some more perches and more dishes to your cage along with more dishes at the spots your birds hang out when they are outside the cage, birds will drink, sometimes when you are not looking. Also do you use vitamins in your water? If so I would stop immediately because it can make the water bad and make the taste bad and keets will just stop drinking and onlt take a sip when they have to, so don't use that stuff and always change your water everyday, and again add a few more dishes of water in the cage and around the house, I'm sure your birds will drink more if you do those things. I find it very funny that the birds hang out with the cat, it sounds scary but as long as she won't hurt the birds then ok, just remember that cats saliva is toxic to birds and would kill them to contact it, so be careful, I think the vets can help your bird if they come in conatct with the cats saliva. But thats cool the cat is so nice, I still probably wouldn't leave them alone but you know your pets best. For a bath you can try a bath with a mirror in the bottom or play with your fingers in the bath so they see it's safe, just keep at it and I bet it will work. And you can try to put some of their favorite fruits and veggies in the bath so they go in to eat it. Well good luck and I hope this post helped, also try reading lisa's main site, she has a ton of great info on whats good for your bird and helpful tips on training so check it out. Jloc

Frodo, Sam Wise, Shelby, and Scooter
Re: Help My Parakeets will NOT drink #139856 10/25/05 09:00 AM
S
Sylv Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
Some birds dont like taking baths in coloured objects.Try a clear glass bowl with about 1 inch of warm water in.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
it will become worthwhile to simply use tokens for
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:27 AM
Hands on the table
by EVA21SA - 01/24/21 08:07 AM
Where are they going on the underground?
by EVA21SA - 01/22/21 09:24 AM
by EVA21SA - 01/22/21 09:17 AM
Interest in DaVinci Code
by EVA21SA - 01/21/21 08:38 AM
Freemasons and the Da Vinci Code
by EVA21SA - 01/18/21 07:40 AM
Total Freedom
by EVA21SA - 01/16/21 08:52 AM
Matthew 12:40
by EVA21SA - 01/16/21 08:45 AM
What does this dream mean?
by vicyclethree - 01/14/21 06:57 PM
Bravo
by EVA21SA - 01/09/21 08:27 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site