Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Trees #138596 08/03/05 01:30 AM
Alyssa Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
Alright so I spent about an hour reserching this before I left - I found a 8-9 sites telling me pine trees were perfectly ok for budiges to use as perches as well as dogwood. My dad and I went out into the woods and I am over run with scratches from thorns, and bug bites. But I got some really nice, oddly shaped pieces of wood for Cosmo. It was all freshly cut meaning the pine still has sap in it. There was nothing but straight boring pieces on the ground. So I just searched a little bit more about pine trees, specifically the sap. I now found 2-3 sites telling me ALL pine is toxic, the branches, twigs, leaves, needles and sap. Does anyone else use pine branches for the budiges? I know there are pine perches you buy, so that sore of confuses me, sense it says ALL pine is bad. I'm really confused! Did I just get all battered up for nothing? Could one of the vets maybe give me a straight answer?

Same to the dogwood, I havent searched that up yet but for a definate answer from a vet, is it ok?

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Your life was short lived but I hope you were very happy.
Re: Trees #138597 08/03/05 01:33 AM
sixbirds Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
i go in my backyard and pick up sticks, but i dont have pine trees back there...do you live by the woods? that would be really cool to live by the woods.

Re: Trees #138598 08/03/05 02:20 AM
T
Tweety-holic Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
T
I wouldn't risk it, Alyssa. Maybe the branches in the store you saw were...fake or something? But I just wouldn't risk anything like that at all.

Re: Trees #138599 08/03/05 02:25 AM
Alyssa Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
No, they were made from 100% pine Emmie. Lots of keet toys are. Thats why I'm confused.

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Re: Trees #138600 08/03/05 02:45 AM
T
Tweety-holic Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
T
Oh, now I'm confused!!

Re: Trees #138601 08/03/05 03:03 AM
Alyssa Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
I found a really good site thats seemed to have spent lots of time reserching the branches for budgies. Pine is listed as safe; I'm going to trust that but I'd still like an answer about the sap. I believe dogwood is safe, I've ran over a few sites saying that even the berriers are safe and great for the birds (DONT take my word.. do more extensive research if you wanna give it to them..).

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Re: Trees #138602 08/03/05 11:33 AM
A
Aerial Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
A
Alyssa, I can't give you an accurate answer here because I don't know the types of pines in your area. Here they're safe for the birds, in fact in the wild they often nest in them. Pine's one of the popular woods for birds because it's so cheap. I've even seen decorative cages made from it.

The best advice I can give you here is to check with your local vet to make sure it's safe.

It's the sap too that needs to be watched.

Re: Trees #138603 08/03/05 01:42 PM
marie Offline
Regular
Regular
Dogwood is definately okay, I'm going to get some branches for my birds actually.

I'm also planning on buying a ficus tree for my birds to play on when they're out of the cage

Marie

Re: Trees #138604 08/03/05 04:06 PM
B
Budgie Offline
B
Alyssa, what was the site about the trees they can have? Because now i am thinking about putting one up in Budgies cage.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds" - Aesop
Re: Trees #138605 08/03/05 05:38 PM
Alyssa Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
Heres a good site:
http://www.exoticbird.com/gillian/perch.html

That one also says Pine is ok. I'm just going to forget about it, and try using Magnolia. We have HUNDREDS of Magnolia trees downtown.. my dad says the branches on those trees are even twistier than Oak which is what I want :p Be sure to clean any branches you use Budgie.

Thank you Nikkums, I think its just the sap people are refering to as well..is there any way to dry sap out of branches quickly? I cant bake them..

I cleaned up my Dogwood branches last night, I got some really nice shapes from those.. I scrubbed them in the bathtub with a scrub brush and a gallon of boiling hot water mixed with a half a cup of bleach and a few cups of cold water (so it didnt burn me). I rinsed them for about 10 minutes and let the shower run on them while I cleaned up.. they've dried over night in the bathroom with a fan. I'm going to wait a little while longer to give them to him because they still seem a little damp.

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by rxonlinesecure - 05/20/22 08:53 AM
Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians
by dfdchgf - 05/18/22 12:04 PM
Architecture photography challeng
by latinkaone - 05/16/22 09:30 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site