Very respectfully, that is!

Mark

http://livingstoncooks.blogspot.com/
Perception is reality.
Re: The meaning of life for you #134453 10/13/06 12:38 AM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
My answer is from a TV programme I once watched. I think it was called 'The Sexual Imperative'.

It doesn't matter whether everyone has children ~ just as long as enough of us do to keep the population going.

We can think that we are here for all sorts of reasons; we can do amazing or appalling things while we are here, but the overall meaning of life? Well, just to be here. And to be here we have to eat, drink, grow, survive, have sex, have babies, nurture the babies, etc. etc It's the cycle of life.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: The meaning of life for you #134454 10/13/06 12:41 AM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate

Re: The meaning of life for you #134455 10/13/06 01:15 AM
Carl Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
Originally posted by Argyll:
So, what do you all think the meaning of life is for yourselves, and why do you think you are here? Or...is there no meaning to life at all?

Please share your ideas - seriously - and let us see a little bit of who you are despite your religious beliefs.

Mark
For me, life whether created or part of the complexity of a universe (which could either be created or endless or a timed bubble or ...) is precious.

That is meaning enough right there.

And the more intensely we live it, the more precious it seems, I think.

Some believe better to live it intensely though the activities chosen make likely the life would be short.

Others choose to have the intensity be in the natural "high" that comes from "ringing the bell."

Melanie Safka used to sing about "ringing the living bell." But the way I am using it, I am talking about whatever path our soul leads us in.

For some, it may involve being a chef. For others, it might be gliding, or sailing, or climbing, or exploring. Then, there's art and science. And there' helping others. And there's the special joy of children.

For me, personally, the "spice" which adds to the enjoyment of life (which, is meaning enough for me) is when there seems to be breakthroughs in the "I/We" and "You, singular/You, plural" dichotomy.

All our contacts with each other are filtered through our subjective senses. I can only trust that I know another.

But there are breakthroughs which give special meanings to life, and suggest that it's worth it not just for me alone, but for you and you and you.

I find them exciting.

Others, as I tell them, might see the incidents as quite ordinary.

I'm not even sure I can explain it. It's kind of like some person, or some event, or some music, or some sunset, or some child's words or actions or hugs or smiles... touches a part of my soul.

Would there be sound if no one had ears?

Does life have meaning if some find it so onerous?

I think it does. But as a practical matter, I think each of us invests in life the meaning it will have.

For some of us, life is priceless.

Marge is the love of my life.
Re: The meaning of life for you #134456 10/13/06 03:03 AM
mbas400 Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
Originally posted by Carl:
Melanie Safka used to sing about "ringing the living bell."
And Anita Ward sang, "You can ring my bell."

Science flies you to the moon
Religion flies you into buildings
Re: The meaning of life for you #134457 10/13/06 06:58 AM
G
Galacticus Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
G
Originally posted by ReggieTheBudgie:
How to explain the women who have never had any desire to have children then? Or, men for that matter? Not everyone has the instinct to procreate...
The instinct yes, but no desire to produce offspring and nurse them!

there are heaps of people out there which simply follow this instinct and mutliply, and multiply.....to which point?

This, I am certain, couldn't be "The meaning of Life"!

To me it looks really like just a simple cicle, small cicles, within a giant cicle.

Because of our incredible ability to communicate, to discuss, to evaluate, using our Intelligence, we are (probably/assumingly) the only specie on the planet, who is asking this kind of question.

Does a bee, a Dolphin, a Croc will ever ask itself or his Companions this kind of question?

Will they (the Animal Kingdom) ever come to the crossroads of Belief and ask the question if there is a God?

Why not? After all, we must admit we don't know, but it seems highly unlikely and there somewhere ( I think) is the answer to the "meaning of liefe"...

"By cultivating friendliness towards happiness and compassion towards misery, gladness towards virtue and indifference towards vice, the mind becomes pure."

- Patanjali -
Re: The meaning of life for you #134458 10/20/06 03:32 AM
J
J-Bo Offline
Friend
Friend
J
I know plenty of women and men who have no desire to have a child nor raise one and are more than happy with their choice.

Re: The meaning of life for you #134459 10/20/06 07:40 AM
R
ReggieTheBudgie Offline
Friend
Friend
R
Originally posted by J-Bo:
I know plenty of women and men who have no desire to have a child nor raise one and are more than happy with their choice.
Ditto...

Re: The meaning of life for you #134460 10/21/06 01:33 AM
A
Argyll Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
A
PDM didn't imply that having a child was a way to happiness, she said that reproduction was the meaning of life.

http://livingstoncooks.blogspot.com/
Perception is reality.
Re: The meaning of life for you #134461 10/21/06 11:21 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Just imagine if 'we' didn't reproduce ('we' as in the human race ~ not each & every individual). We wouldn't be here to even consider the question ~ or any question for that matter.

Why are wasps here?
Do they have a purpose, other than to reproduce and help the flowers to reproduce?

The questions were:

'what do you all think the meaning of life is for yourselves,
and why do you think you are here?'
[Carl]

This is different from asking what brings meaning to your life?

My family brings meaning to my life ~ and my studies, too.

I think family ~ especially children ~ bring meaning to many people ~ though not all ~ so the two go together.

We are meant to reproduce and, coincidentally(?), children bring meaning to our lives ~ for most people, anyway.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site