Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The meaning of life for you #134442 10/10/06 10:58 PM
A
Argyll Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
A
Considering there are such varied opinions on this BB concerning the existance of God, there are invariably just as many opinions on the meaning of life.

So, what do you all think the meaning of life is for yourselves, and why do you think you are here? Or...is there no meaning to life at all?

Please share your ideas - seriously - and let us see a little bit of who you are despite your religious beliefs.

Mark

http://livingstoncooks.blogspot.com/
Perception is reality.
Re: The meaning of life for you #134443 10/10/06 11:05 PM
A
Argyll Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
A
Personally...I'm not sure if there is a meaning to life. I have my family to give me meaning, and I'm important to them, but in the overall scheme of things, I sort of think I'm just another grain of sand on the beach.

I figure my job is to look after my family the best I can and hopefully instill in them some of my values. But really...my values are just my values, and I want them to formulate thier own values to guide them through thier own lives.

I guess the meaning of life for me would be sharing myself with other people and taking from them in return. Also...live in the moment. I think that these are good values that add meaning to my life.

God - for me - has nothing to do with having meaning in my life.

Mark

Perception is reality.
Re: The meaning of life for you #134444 10/10/06 11:09 PM
mbas400 Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
I think what gives a life meaning is the impact you have on others.

This is both positive and negative, as someone like Hitler certainly had an impact on others, but so did Ghandi.

If I leave the world, and have a lasting impact on the people around me, I would consider that my life has had meaning.

It could be as simple as my own family, yet it extends all around us to friends, colleagues, and the casual encounters along the way.

Standing to open the door for someone has an impact on that person. Cutting someone off while driving has an impact.

You don't need to be famous, rich, powerful or evil to have an impact on humanity.

To me, that is the meaning of life. Nothing so mystical as pleasing a perhaps imaginary diety. A God who wants to be pleased seems so petty.

I try to live my life as an example to others around me, by being helpful, kind, generous, cheerful and courteous.

We are all born with talents of one kind or another. The "meaning" of a life is how those talents were used.

Science flies you to the moon
Religion flies you into buildings
Re: The meaning of life for you #134445 10/11/06 07:24 AM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I think that we are here to have babies, and look after them, so that they can grow up safely, to have babies, in order to keep the human race going.

Why is the human race here?
Why are snails here?
Why is the universe here?

They / we just are.

Yet, being human, I can't help wondering about the meaning of it all. That doesn't mean that there has to be any meaning, of course.

But then, why is there this 'need' to keep having children and ensure that the human race ~ or the snail race ~ keeps going?

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: The meaning of life for you #134446 10/11/06 11:57 AM
G
Galacticus Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
G
I really don't know if there really is such a thing, like "the meaning of life"

Monthy Python someone?

Made a lot of 'sense' to me!

"By cultivating friendliness towards happiness and compassion towards misery, gladness towards virtue and indifference towards vice, the mind becomes pure."

- Patanjali -
Re: The meaning of life for you #134447 10/11/06 01:33 PM
Carl Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
From memory from childhood - radio? Can anyone give the attribution?

That's life.

What's life?

A Baby Ruth candy bar.

How much does it cost?

A quarter.

But I only have a nickel.

That's life.

Marge is the love of my life.
Re: The meaning of life for you #134448 10/11/06 03:15 PM
A
Argyll Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
A
PDM:

I appreciate your logic, and share it to a degree, but I don't put humanity on the same scale as snails. We have a far greater intelligence and have a much larger impact on the planet than snails.

As far as having a purpose on the planet...perhaps snails have a greater purpose than us. The bee, as well as other polinating insects - certainly seem to have a greater purpose than we do. I think that humans have no other real purpose on the planet other than consuming. In the big picture, that is.

Mark

Perception is reality.
Re: The meaning of life for you #134449 10/12/06 01:31 AM
A
Argyll Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
A
PDM:

Ya know...I have to say that I don't believe you when you say that you think we're only here to have babies so that we can keep the human race going. I think that deep down inside of you, you believe more than that.

How can a mother really feel that way? When you look at your children, do you really think that? Are they only a vehicle for sperm and eggs? Don't you have hopes and dreams for them beyond procreation?

Please expand on your beliefs PDM. I'd be interested in you sharing a little more of who you are on this.

Respectfully,

Mark

Perception is reality.
Re: The meaning of life for you #134450 10/12/06 01:34 AM
R
ReggieTheBudgie Offline
Friend
Friend
R
Originally posted by PDM:
I think that we are here to have babies, and look after them, so that they can grow up safely, to have babies, in order to keep the human race going.

How to explain the women who have never had any desire to have children then? Or, men for that matter? Not everyone has the instinct to procreate...

Re: The meaning of life for you #134451 10/12/06 05:19 AM
M
MrsJF Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
M
PDM, I have to say I'm a bit surprised by your answer of having babies. What about those that cannot have children? Their lives have no meaning? confused

A good book to explore on the meaning of life is The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. It really opened my eyes to why I'm here on this earth.

MHA bell tolls to end misunderstanding & discrimination & rings for victory over mental illness.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site