Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
is it a good idea to get wings clipped? #116458 11/25/06 03:17 AM
I
iloveparakeets02 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Is it a good idea to get the wings clipped for training. if yes then what stores can i get them clipped at and how muchdoes it usually cost.
thanks

Re: is it a good idea to get wings clipped? #116459 11/25/06 05:59 AM
B
birdfriend Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
B
I don't think you're going to get any agreement on this topic. It's been discussed a lot before, and it's really just a personal choice.

You can get wing clipping done at an avian vet and some pet stores offer it. You'll just have to call around and see who deals with birds and what their rates are.

Kiwi*8-23-05
Blueberry*9-9-06
Gizmo*11-11-06
Ollie*4-7-07
Re: is it a good idea to get wings clipped? #116460 11/28/06 04:48 AM
S
SphynxFan Offline
Companion
Companion
S
Like birdfriend says, it's a personal choice. I'm going to have my birds wings clipped because of the safty issue at my home...two dogs, a cat and sheets or blankets instead of doors. If it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't clip.

Duct tape is like the Force.It has a light side, dark side,and it holds the universe together.

Re: is it a good idea to get wings clipped? #116461 11/29/06 04:42 PM
K
KristaAnne Offline
Regular
Regular
K
like i said in another post. I just recently got my keet..(snow) and she came with her wings clipped. I am not sure I should continue this act.. I guess we'll see as time goes by.

--KristaAnne--

RIP Snow
Re: is it a good idea to get wings clipped? #116462 11/29/06 11:31 PM
Ophelia And Natalie Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
That's your choice as the owner, and depends on where and how you live. I do not clip my keets wings, because we have 2 cats. And even though we are very, very, very, very, very, careful to keep the cats away from the bird when she's outside the cage, accidents can happen, and with all her feathers Ophie can rescue herself.

For training, in a cage, they usually can't really fly much more than the cage, and mostly hop around. And they can hop with clipped wings, so it won't make much of a difference.

The vet will clip wings, but I'm not sure how much it is. You can also do it yourself, but I wouldn't try that until your bird is trained.

Re: is it a good idea to get wings clipped? #116463 12/01/06 07:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The pet shop where I bought my two keets does it, some I'm guessing all pet shops clip wings? I think they charge 2 or 3 dollars to do it there.

Re: is it a good idea to get wings clipped? #116464 12/01/06 09:05 PM
S
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
S
The petshop you buys your keets from should clip their wings for free before you take them home. Noubas wings were clipped but darcys werent and honeslty as soon as nouba's molt finishes and she needs to be clipped I'm taking them both into the vet for a wing clipping. It's impossible to be sure that darcy isnt flying into walls and hurting himself cuz I'm not as fast as he is, I would rather him be where I can see him and I promise, Nouba isn't living a deficcient life because she can only glide...

Nouba
Vegas
Linus
*Darcy* 7.2.09
Re: is it a good idea to get wings clipped? #116465 12/08/06 09:33 PM
Katyandthecrew Offline
I keep their wings clipped. While my four are well trained, I still have seen them get spooked by a loud noise or sound from the TV and take off. They aren't able to hurt themselves, then.

The fearsome 5some:
Rose, Periwinkle
Blue & Belle
Welcome Angel!

In memory of Daisy

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site