Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I got my Chloe to eat veggies! #116138 09/21/06 05:14 AM
C
colr4life Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My Chloe is still very finicky. We got her about a month ago. She gets on my finger now but won't let me move an inch or she'll jump off.Still, at this point she is comfortable with my hands being in the cage. Two days ago, as per vet recommendation, I tied a piece broccoli on a string and hung it as a toy. I place it next to her dangly toys by a perch. She looked at he broccoli curiously, but was not getting close. I then started to pick on the broccoli with my nails until pieces fell off (like I was eating it with my fingers). Chloe got very curoius, looking at the falling pieces and started to get closer. Then she took a cautious nip, then another, then another! Then she finally took her firs bite and she loves it now! She would shred one (2 inch size) piece a day! I am doing the same with a carrot. Slowly she is eating that now too.
The same seems to work with toys, I kind of pretend that I am playing with them and she gets curious that I am prlaying with her toy so she does the same. Yipeee!!!
Ps. If anyone has suggestions on getting her out of the cage as I have mentioned above, I am open to suggestions. I know that patience is the key, but I want to see what steps I can take or which way to go. Thanks in advance!

Re: I got my Chloe to eat veggies! #116139 09/21/06 03:15 PM
pretty bird Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
Mine love parsley hung and flowering kale hung up. They also love corn on the cob but the season it just about over now. Also just started them on sprouts they love them however can't hang those. My birds get to fly free in the room so I put them on top of their cage and they eat them when they are running around on the cage. Its so funny to watch them. They see me throw the sprouts all around and as soon as I'm done they are right on top of it.

Just takes time your doing the right thing with training. Every time you get your bird on your finger slowly start to move it towards the door. If it looks like it is going to hop off stop moving then try again when it is settled down.

My name is Connie
Re: I got my Chloe to eat veggies! #116140 09/21/06 06:00 PM
C
colr4life Offline OP
OP Offline
C
pretty bird, do you cook the corn on the cob or do they eat it fresh?...Thanks for the tip on finger training! smile

Re: I got my Chloe to eat veggies! #116141 09/21/06 07:28 PM
L'uccello&Cuddles&Carmine Offline
Companion
Companion
Mine love corn on the cob. Cuddles also loves eating shredded carrots from my hand.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site