Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How do you hand train two keets? And Chasing... #115771 08/09/06 11:29 PM
C
colr4life Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I saw a posting on this site that it is possible to train two keets. I was given the wrong info by "another site" that when two keets get together, they are no longer human friendly.

My first bird Joey was about six when his companion Snowie passed on last year.But when she was still alive, because of the info I mentioned above, I pretty much thought that I am not to handle them anymore. But I still tried, and they were skittish. Joey wasn't skittish until I got Snowie so I believed the info I got because of the proof.Now he's got a new friend (Chloe-13 week old) and I have new found information from this site, how do I hand train them? Together... separate? confused

Another question, Chloe joined us a month ago only. Joey and Chloe got along well and still do, but Chloe seems to be chasing Joey off ANY perch he gets onto, and steps on him to get over the other side of the perch he is on. I have lots of perches and two of each on dishes and toys. Is this a normal behavior? They still preen each other and even feed each other. I just don't understand the chasing-off bahavior.Thanks in advance for any tips! laugh

Re: How do you hand train two keets? And Chasing... #115772 08/10/06 02:12 PM
Starchick Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Welcome to the site colr4life! laugh It seems to me that females act more dominant then males! My keet, Star, always bossed her mate around. But anyways, back to your question. It is probably best to hand train them separate. First, u must gain their trust by talking to them each, soothingly and let them listen to music. Have about an hour a day set aside for training your keets. 30 minutes each keet. Once you've gained their trust, then start training them. Here's Lisa's site to training keets. It has helped me out lots and i think that it might help you too!

Re: How do you hand train two keets? And Chasing... #115773 08/10/06 06:59 PM
C
colr4life Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks! I remember the page on this site on the step by step training. I will refer to that. This site had already helped me a lot and I'm glad I found it! Thanks for the warm welcome, too!

Re: How do you hand train two keets? And Chasing... #115774 08/10/06 08:50 PM
annie&beebee Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Welcome to the site colr4life! laugh

Here is the link that Starchick mentioned. smile Each underlined section is another link with multiple steps.

http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/handtrain/

i ♥ beebee. ~annie
--------------------
"Adversity does not build character. Adversity reveals character." — Sandy Dahl
"There is no such thing as an ordinary life." — Alexandra Johnson
Re: How do you hand train two keets? And Chasing... #115775 08/11/06 12:32 AM
C
colr4life Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for all the help. Chloe is still very skittish even after two weeks of getting familiar with my hand in the cage. Joey is following suit. Chloe is only 13 weeks and Joey is 6yrs old. Is there such a thing as "too late" to hand train?

Re: How do you hand train two keets? And Chasing... #115776 08/11/06 02:22 AM
annie&beebee Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
It is never too late. It is just a matter of it taking more time, patience, work, and effort. smile

Isn't it amazing how 2 keets can be so different? I would just keep trying. Some take months to train and others days, so it really just depends on the bird and how much time you can devote to them. I am still having problems with my finger training. At first he was sooo good and now he won't come out since I took him to the vet (which I have to do again soon!) and I have had him for more than a month now. He is still sweet though and I love him. I know he is just being cautious. wink

i ♥ beebee. ~annie
--------------------
"Adversity does not build character. Adversity reveals character." — Sandy Dahl
"There is no such thing as an ordinary life." — Alexandra Johnson
Re: How do you hand train two keets? And Chasing... #115777 08/11/06 08:41 PM
C
colr4life Offline OP
OP Offline
C
It's so cool to hear all the great stories that everyone has about their parakeets. I sincerely appreciate the help and it's been awesome finding this site! smile

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site