Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Training The Older Bird #115543 07/20/06 09:26 PM
C
cuddlezbird Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I was given a beautiful yellow parakeet about one year ago. The family said the bird was about 2 years old. I assumed that they would have worked with the bird and at least be finger trained. I had birds when I was a child and I remember how my mom beautifully trained them. I have worked with this bird for a year now and haven't made much progress. I think it is because he is older and coming from a family who did not handle him. There were some unusual circumstances with the family who raised this bird. First they are Chinese and did not speak much English, the bird might be confused, but does not say any Chinese words or any words at all, which I find very unusual, my birds spoke sentences when I was a child. The family was also giving away a rabbit when I adopted the bird. Later they told me that the bird and rabbit were best friends and they played together. Could this bird have bonded with the rabbit ? The real issue is this: will this bird ever be able to bond with us ? I have followed your suggestions about getting him used to my hand in the cage and trying to finger train, but for a whole year now the bird is still going after my hand as if it's an enemy. My hand goes in and the bird attacks. He should be used to me by now. I speak to him sweetly and let him bite without jerking my hand away because I want him to know that it is not going away and maybe he will stop biting. What really breaks my heart is that he spends most of his time biting at the bars and lifting the doors with his beak. He wants out so badly, but without being finger trained, I don't dare let him out. This sweet little bird is breaking my heart. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Re: Training The Older Bird #115544 07/22/06 11:06 PM
Kait Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
hello smile Well I'm not to sure about a parakeet and rabbit bonding... it sounds like your in a difficult situation, I'm happy you have been persistant with your hand training so far, it takes alot of patients! Have you tried different hand taming methods? It is really hard to tame most older birds but it can be done. You just have to keep at it. Maybe you could get him a friend and keep it in a seperate cage in a different room of the house and fully bond with him and then put them together and see if the older bird will follow the tame one, then he night learn to trust you. When I got my first couple of birds I worked with the more tame one and the other just followed. Also you could just get him a friend and put them together and leave them as 'cage birds' of course you would have to give them plenty of room, meaning a big cage!
Well I hope something I said helps , keep us up-dated smile

<3Andy,Charlie,Sunny&Emmie<3
Re: Training The Older Bird #115545 07/24/06 08:08 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Definitely taming works, even on older keets. It sounds like he is pretty agitated so let's start with that.

What type of a cage do you have, and where is it located? Do you cover it at night? Is there music or voices during the day? What do you feed the keet? Let's start with the basics and figure out why the keet is so grumpy, and then once we make sure the keet is in as great a situation as can be, we'll work on the training.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Training The Older Bird #115546 07/24/06 03:39 PM
C
cuddlezbird Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi,
Thanks for all of the tips so far. To describe the cage, it is kind of a box with a vaulted top. The bars are coated with a white coating. There are two small doors for food and water to be changed from the outside and one large door in the middle. The cage came with two plastic perches, one high and one low. The bottom of the cage has a grate with a tray underneath. We cut newspaper to fit the tray for easy cleaning. During the day we put the cage at a kitchen window, lots of sun and nature to look at. At night we close the blind and move the cage to the living room. We started moving her into the living room so he can be in the same room with the family in the evening. We cover the cage when we go to bed. The kids are home for the summer so there is plenty of noise during the day. We talk to him whenever we go by the cage and my daughter sings to him. We just feed him regular birdseed, we tried fruit and he wouldn't go near it, he was flapping around the cage he was so scared of it (small apple slice or tiny piece of mellon stuck between the bars). We put vitamin drops in the drinking water. He had a mirror for a while, but he never moved from that spot, he just leaned up against the mirror all day and didn't pay any attention to us, so I removed the mirror and now he is happy to greet us and interacts a bit. We have tried various toys, bells, balls etc... and he pays no attention to them. He bites at his cuttle bone alot and on the bars. I once noticed him trying to take a bath in his water dish, so I found him a small, shallow bowl which I fill with fresh water every morning. I saw him dunk his head in once. He tries to get out of the cage. He lifts open the cage doors and tries to get his head under before they drop (so smart !). I think the family before us must have left the door open and let him come and go as he pleased. They evidently didn't interact with him. I don't think he would be happy being a "cage bird" forever as Kait suggested. He really wants out and I would really love to have him out.
Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by latinkaone - 06/06/22 08:53 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site