Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: to clip or not to clip #113409 11/06/05 04:33 AM
lamont Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
how long does it take for them to grom back?

SNOOPY
Re: to clip or not to clip #113410 11/06/05 04:51 AM
lamont Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
i wanted to get my bird's wings clipped

SNOOPY
Re: to clip or not to clip #113411 11/06/05 04:55 AM
Jloc Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I'm not sure how long it takes for them to grow back, I would assume about by each time a bird molts but I could be wrong, some that clips will have to answer that.

Alyssa, I can understand why you clip. I wish that did not happen to you, it was very bad luck and very sad. And being that it happened to you I see why you want their wings clipped. I have a question for you real quick, was Elkie clipped at first and then grew out her wings or was she never clipped? I couldn't remember, I think birds that grow back their feathers have a much harder time flying or at least learning to fly. You provide Cosmo with a wonderful life so no worries, he is a very happy bird and at least he can do a bit of flying. I still feel the same about clipping but as I said in all my posts there are always situations where clipping is understandable and I consider yours to be one of them, I would be very upset to lose a bird like that. Jloc

Frodo, Sam Wise, Shelby, and Scooter
Re: to clip or not to clip #113412 11/06/05 05:00 AM
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
She was clipped when I got her, but she learned very fast.. she was a great flyer. The worst she did when she first started out was missing her perch to land on every now and then but quickly got past that after a few weeks. What happened was, I guess, I had her in the living room and I've took her in there.. countless times, everyday, most of the day, sometimes I would just bring food and water in there and let her hang out on the curtin chirping, so she knew the room as well as mine. But something spooked her in mid-flight, and she was heading for her curtin rod and turned really fast to come back to me. She was too close to the wall when she turned, and she cought her neck on it. She died instantly.. it was horrible. My mom got so upset, she doesnt even remember what happened really, but I remember her bending down to help her up thinking she just stunned herself and saying "Come on girl"..and then standing up crying. Yeah, it was horrible. frown

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Your life was short lived but I hope you were very happy.
Re: to clip or not to clip #113413 11/06/05 05:10 AM
Jloc Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
OH man thats terrible! I remember when you first talked about it, it was so sad. Well it's good to hear that she was a good flyer, many birds clipped young don't fly so well, and it sounds like you were very careful and a great owner for her, so I can see why you clip, how else could you avoid that happening again, clip. I think it might have been just bad luck/timing and just random, but I can see why you wouldn't want to find out if it was or not because if you lost Cosmo like that you would be in bad shape, anyways I respect your choice because of what happened, I still feel the same about clipping in general but I see why you feel that why. And I KNOW Elkie was a very spoiled and happy bird just like Cosmo is, so no worries. THanks for sharing that Alyssa, I hate hearing about stuff like that and wish it didn't happen, all we can do is try our best and spoil them rotten. Talk to you later. Jloc

Frodo, Sam Wise, Shelby, and Scooter
Re: to clip or not to clip #113414 11/06/05 05:22 AM
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Cosmos already proven to be a danger to himself (uh..and my FACE), he can fly pretty good now sense hes got.. I think 4 full flight feathers on each wing grew in. If I dont pick him up as soon as he comes out and give him a kiss and scratch him, he jumps/flies at me and tries to land on my FACE xD Its horrible, haha. Other than that.. hes just clumbsy and hyper, and I really think he will be a lot safer clipped, so that he cant fly more than he can now (which..he did a full lap around my room yesterday, so hes got a LOT of mobility now). Anyway, before he would fly, he would trip over his own feet, and of course you've all seen him do flips and just get into impossible situations..hes no better off flying, worse, really. He tried to land on my sheleve (well, he did, perfectly, except he decided to go BEHIND everything else after he landed and I couldnt get him because it was too high for me. So I played the waiting game with him), and while he was up there he got dusty and was pecking around at..whatever, dust, I guess, so after 30 minutes I had to get a chair and force him down. Hes gone up to my curtin rod a few times, and when he gets up there, he wants to CLIMB down the curtin rather than fly b ack down, so hes lost his grib and fell more than once.. he seems to already have flying pretty much down, hes perfect at landing, he just likes to get into trouble. I've had to keep him up more lately, because hes just driving me nuts. I ended up getting a scratch across my cheek from him trying to land on it. >o

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Re: to clip or not to clip #113415 11/06/05 05:28 AM
Rick & Gebo Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
That is a VERY sad story about your previous bird Alyssa and as Jloc said, I can completely understand why you would be leery of having a totally unclipped bird after that.

My comment about LAZY owners was really not directed at anyone here. People who take the time to come to this forum to learn about how to best care for their birds are obviously not lazy.

I was referring to people who buy them as throw-away pets and clip the wings so that they don't have to be bothered with worrying about them flying out the window.

Just like the dog owner who gets a dog, ties it to the backyard fence pole and then lets it bark all night because it is lonely, while the lazy owner ignores it.

I am sure EVERYONE here has lived next to a neighbor like that. That is a LAZY pet owner, and is the same kind of person that would buy a bird, have its wings clipped and never think twice about the effect this has on the bird.

Cosmos is obviously a very loved and happy bird, and I would not consider his situation typical. Sounds like you are making an effort to still provide him with some flight ability, which is unusual. Most clipped birds fall like a rock if they try to fly and can't get off the ground to save their lives, which is often why they die in the mouth of a cat, or dog.

I can say this... An unclipped bird can be safe if they learn the room or rooms they have access to.

I think I mentioned that Gebo has learned that the sliding glass window is a barrier, so he avoids it like any solid object now. In fact, when he takes off for his laps, he is pointed directly at the sliding window which is about 6 feet from his favorite launch point, but he turns a hard right and begins his circle of the living room.

He does occasionally graze the ceiling very slightly since he likes to fly as close to it as he can get for some reason.

[]Rick - Gebo's Human Provider - Seattle, WA.
Re: to clip or not to clip #113416 11/06/05 05:30 AM
lamont Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
your bird is very energetic from wat i read

SNOOPY
Re: to clip or not to clip #113417 11/06/05 05:32 AM
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Cosmo? Oh, yes, very energetic. Right now, he is holding onto his perch flapping his wings so hard he can't hold himself still... kind of, hovering down the perch trying his best to hold himself still while he flaps..it really is hilarious looking.

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Re: to clip or not to clip #113418 11/06/05 05:35 AM
lamont Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
lol i bet it is sunshine(the name of my bird) is sleeping now

SNOOPY
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
levitation photo challenge
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:40 AM
free will
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:33 AM
Separating Two Parakeets
by Min - 10/28/20 05:51 PM
Please help
by Faeed - 10/27/20 03:23 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site