Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: to clip or not to clip #113399 11/05/05 04:29 PM
L
Lone Wolf Offline
Friend
Friend
L
Your right Sylv, I suppose it is different. It's just that after what happened to Kodi I am not willing to risk having another baby fly away from me.

Though all the world may hate us, we are named. Though shadow overtake us, we are known.

Fear is the absence of knowledge.
Re: to clip or not to clip #113400 11/05/05 07:37 PM
Rick & Gebo Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Like I said before...

Clipping the wings ONLY benefits the owner. It does nothing for the bird and as Sylv said, causes stress.

How would like to have your legs tied together so you couldn't walk? Basically the same thing. A natural act, that has been eliminated from the animal's mobility choices.

Birds get out because the owner is irresponsible enough to leave a door or window open. If you are going to own a bird, you need to make the extra effort to eliminate the chances of a bird getting out of the house.

Clipping the wings of a bird repeatedly to keep them from ever flying, in my opinion is route of a lazy bird owner. Just like dog owners who keep their poor animals penned up or tied to a tree all the time.

There is nothing positive about it as far as the bird's quality of life is concerned. It places the bird in danger, and removes one of the major joys these animals have. Gebo LOVES to fly more than anything else he does! I can't imagine ever denying him this freedom to express himself.

I would rather not own a bird than to do this to one.

I obviously have a VERY strong opinion on this issue. wink

[]Rick - Gebo's Human Provider - Seattle, WA.
Re: to clip or not to clip #113401 11/05/05 08:31 PM
chirpy Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
For those whose birds have clipped wings ... try letting the feathers grow back and let them fly around for a month or so before you decide whether you should clip their wings again. I can pretty much assure you that you will see a big difference in their behavior. They are much happier and healthier when they can fly. You don't have to believe me ... just experiment for yourself.

Re: to clip or not to clip #113402 11/06/05 02:50 AM
Blaze Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I am going to see how he reacts to everything once he is done molting by then i figure he will be used to his environment by then.

~Blaze
Birds:
Kazu, Jazz, and Kodi
Cats:
Pebbles, Blaze, Curtis, Leo and Capizo.
Re: to clip or not to clip #113403 11/06/05 03:32 AM
Jloc Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
And to add to what Chirpy just said start in a room they are very familair with and make sure windows and mirrors are covered because clipped birds seem to not fly so well at the beginning and need some time to learn how to fly well. They will learn and end up being great flyers but some need some practice. And I agree they will be so much more happy being flighted, thats what birds do they fly, I mean how happy would a fish be if it couldn't swim, not very. I do understand a few situations require birds to be clipped but I still don't like it and sometimes wonder if the person should just not have a bird altogether. I hate to use such strong words but I just can't imagine how bad it must be for a bird that can't fly, and they are still in plenty of danger, if not more so because they can't escape animals that want to eat them, or even could get stepped on or drown in a small puddle of water like a toilet or sink. ANyways just be careful and your birds will be fine, good luck and keep us posted. Jloc

Frodo, Sam Wise, Shelby, and Scooter
Re: to clip or not to clip #113404 11/06/05 03:47 AM
Blaze Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I speak for all of us when I say we will.

~Blaze
Birds:
Kazu, Jazz, and Kodi
Cats:
Re: to clip or not to clip #113405 11/06/05 03:49 AM
lamont Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
ive heard that if u clip parakeets wings it is easier to hand train them...but i do not believe that

SNOOPY
Re: to clip or not to clip #113406 11/06/05 03:52 AM
Blaze Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I don't think so and that has already been said, but don't worry about that lamont... this is a long topic and has a lot of opinions.

~Blaze
Birds:
Kazu, Jazz, and Kodi
Cats:
Re: to clip or not to clip #113407 11/06/05 04:11 AM
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Clipping the wings of a bird repeatedly to keep them from ever flying, in my opinion is route of a lazy bird owner. Just like dog owners who keep their poor animals penned up or tied to a tree all the time.
Really, thats 100% unfair. Just because someone loves their bird and does not want to take the risk of it flying away or crashing into something doesnt mean they're lazy, not at all. I'M not lazy, I choose to clip simply because I have experienced first hand how awful it is to watch them crash and break their tiny necks. This does not make me lazy. Cosmo is going to be clipped, but its going to be the type of clip that will allow him to fly, as far as across my room, however he wont be able to gain much height and very little speed (that, would be the life saver in the event that he crashed). He will still be able to fly, get where he wants to get, ect. He probley will not be able to do laps around my room, but I think we can both deal with that.

R.I.P Elkie
Nov. 04 - Jul. 05
Your life was short lived but I hope you were very happy.
Re: to clip or not to clip #113408 11/06/05 04:29 AM
La Sierra Madre Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
sierra's wings are starting to grow back... now she can fly about four feet off the ground... i'm getting worried frown i don't trust my petco, they do it really viciously and not gently at all.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
levitation photo challenge
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:40 AM
free will
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:33 AM
Separating Two Parakeets
by Min - 10/28/20 05:51 PM
Please help
by Faeed - 10/27/20 03:23 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site